Guest complain about smell in the house

Maggie72
Level 3
Waterloo, Canada

Guest complain about smell in the house

Hi hosts!

I've had a guest who stayed in my apartment and complained about the smell in the house. I know what my cleaner clean the counter with white vinegar and water mix which is what the smell is. I understand it may not be liked by everyone but it's anything harmful. Plus if he opens the door the smell will go away I don't think its that strong. I apologized for the smell but the guest requests 50 euro compensation for it. I do not think I need to compensate for that, plus the guest never complained about it during his stay. What would you guys do? Maybe I should switch to a commercial cleaner with fragrance? 

Thanks,

Maggie

4 Replies 4
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

50 Euros for smelling vinegar?

Show him the door.

In the future, minimize the smell by using a fan or porpourri or using a cleanser with a light or no frangrance - or not.

But don't worry about it

50 euro compensation seems totally unreasonable to me. But I will try to minimize the smell.

Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

DON'T SWITCH @Maggie72! I clean with vinegar & water as well (and my floor and counters have NEVER been cleaner!) I turn on the ceiling fan to dry the floor & counters more quickly but it is FAR safer and pleasant (no film left - like bleach, etc) than a commercial cleaner - which people (trust me) will complain about as well. Just try Pine-Sol for instance! 😂

I know you talk about his stay in the past tense. Did they mention it while they were there? Did they go to AirBnB to ask for 50 or did they ask you? If they go through AirBnB I am sure AirBnB will tell them all places must be cleaned.

The smell is far better and safer than germs...just mention that!

Thanks for your reply! He didn't mention anything about it during his stay. He requested the money through airbnb and I declined it. I also gave airbnb a call to ask and they told me it's totally up to me to decide whether I want to pay. He said he will get airbnb involved after I declined. I don't think airbnb will ask me to pay him but I dont quite understand why he would want to do that

I just want to share this and get some ideas about what other people use for cleaning and whether the guests have complained about it.