Guest complaining of cleanliness but won’t respond to messages

Christa103
Level 1
Buffalo, NY

Guest complaining of cleanliness but won’t respond to messages

Hi all, hoping for some helpful advice. I had a guest request a early check-in. My cleaner wasn’t available so I told the guest I would clean it myself to accommodate her. They were arriving before the previous guest even checked out so I offered to put them in another unit while I cleaned their place. An hour after they checked in the guest texts me regarding cleanliness. The unit was deep cleaned on Friday and I personally cleaned it today, changed all the sheets and sanitized bathrooms etc. I would not allow anyone to check into a dirty place. I asked the guest to give me more specifics on what exactly she was unpleased about and she hasn’t responded. I’ve called and left a message as well as two texts asking for a response so I can make it right and all I’m hearing is crickets. No one has ever complained of cleanliness before and I’m unsure what to do next. HELP! 

3 Replies 3

@Christa103:

Other than visiting the unit and meeting the guest in person, you have done about all you can do. We have found that guests who make demands at the outset are usually problematic and may even request their money back after they leave. A common complaint that Airbnb provides refunds for is dirtiness and usually does not ask for proof from the guest. Typically the more you do for a guest the worse off you are in the end (SAD).

Try to keep all messages within the Airbnb nessage system as Airbnb may look at that. Hope for the best.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Tim-and-Holly0 Make sure that all communication with the guest is via their platform so that they can see the thread of the discussion (and their lack of response), just in case they now try and claim a full refund etc.

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Christa103,

Indeed: Try to keep all communications within the message thread.

Furthermore, it has been mentioned here before: Allowing guests an early check-in and therefore having to change your own regular procedures. May cause issues.

I’ve had a similar guest before, and it remained a challenging task till the very end of their stay.