Guest damaged my home then threatened bad review if I requested money

Guest damaged my home then threatened bad review if I requested money

I am a super host with a 4.9 star rating and 286 reviews. 

Unfortunately during the stay of our last guest, the guest damaged our home and a brand new comforter went missing.  Not horrible stuff here but the guest clearly should pay for the damages and the missing item. 

I politely asked the guest to pay for the items.  She refused to pay, then threatened to write a bad review if I continued to ask for money. 

I told Airbnb about her threats.  Showed Airbnb the messages and continued to pursue reimbursement for the damages and the missing item.  Airbnb sided with me and charged the guest for the damages and missing item.

The guest wrote and published the 1 star review as she threatened.  (the only 1 star review I have ever received in almost 2 years of hosting)

Airbnb is refusing to take down the review stating it doesn't violate their content policy.  How can extortion be allowed??  This is crazy to me.  Any guidance would be much appreciated. 

18 Replies 18

@Benjamin462 - this is surprising since Airbnb typically takes down anything that discusses Resolution Center disputes.  Did you read her profile  - all those cancellations?!  Did you ask her what that was about? 

HI Alice and Jeff.  Thank you for your reply.  All is odd to me as well.  I told the Airbnb agent that I felt the review violated the content policy for reviews since the guest's review discusses the resolution center dispute.  Additionally, I sent the agent copies of the messages from the guest threatening the poor review if I continued with the requested money.  The agent was extremely rude and became aggressive with me stating I didn't understand how Airbnb worked and I was out of line requesting the review be hidden. 

My real concern is we as hosts shouldn't have to worry about "retaliation" reviews if we ask for money for damage done to our homes.   I am also concerned because there seems to be no way to escalate the concern to another agent or an agent’s manager if we feel the agent isn't properly handling the case. 

I want to make sure I do all I can to prevent this type of situation happening in the future. 

@Benjamin462   It sounds like you got the ubiquitous clueless CS rep. They're not all like that.

What many hosts recommend when you get an unhelpful agent (and certainly one who is rude , obviously doesn't understand the job description of "customer service"), is to just thank them for their time and tell them they can close the ticket. Then phone or message back in the hopes that you get a more helpful and knowledgable one. Don't mention that you've already been dealing with this with another agent. You might have to do this several times before getting a good agent.

It's pointless and frustrating to keep going back and forth with a CS rep who makes it evident almost from the outset that they are going to be useless and unsympathetic and just acts like a robot.

Thank you Sarah. That is excellent advise. I thought once the ticket was open it had to stay with that agent. I will call back and hopefully get another agent. 🙂

@Benjamin462  That's why I said to ask the first, unhelpful agent to close the ticket. And not mention that you've already had an unsuccessful outcome on the issue when you contact Airbnb again. In other words, give the first agent the understanding that you've accepted their response, like a good little host.

It’s utterly ridiculous that after a dispute anyone is allowed to even leave a review at all! 

Linda1309
Level 2
Santa Rosa, CA

I’d mention in your counter review that there was theft and damage ! Anyone reading your reviews would stop and read the only 1 star review you have. Additionally; I’d ask for a higher up manager at Airbnb (their supervisor) and appeal to them. 

Unfortunately your response cannot be changed one iota after it is published!

I found this out the hard way, left a response I'm not extremely proud of and can't get it removed or changed.

I think Benjamin left a perfect response, the guest comes off as totally unreasonable and not credible.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Benjamin462

This is appalling,.

In your situation I would call them out for this on their social media accounts. Ask why Airbnb claim to protect hosts from  guests who threaten bad reviews in exchange for money and then do nothing about  a bad review when they have written evidence that a guest has done exactly this.

Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

I also find this situation completely appalling.

You are obviously a responsible professional host with multiple properties.

Your guest looks like she's about 16 year's old!  They are giving authority to a pouting teenager despite the dozens of positive reviews you've got and hard work you've put in!

If it's any consolation, your response to her is absolutely perfect.  I wish I had taken more time to craft a response like that to a recent criticism.  Can I contact you next time and get your feedback before posting? lol.

I think Airbnb leaves these crazy reviews so that the platform seems more "real" and believable.  Which would be ok if not for the fact people's ratings and booking and livelihood didn't depend on some teenager's irresponsible behaviour and rant.  Thank goodness we are at least allowed the last word in the reply, if we don't waste that opportunit, you recovered beautifully and that review would not stop me from booking your place, to the contrary.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Susan1188 If you have a bad situation posting your draft review here on these forums is always a great idea if you need help. It also allows you time to calm down, so you don't end up writing something you regret.

You will always find seasoned hosts here who are happy to provide input.

Alexandros56
Level 2
Limassol, CY

I am currently experiencing the same situation. 
I have hosted the worst guest ever. 
Not only he was extremely rude... He made damages to the cabinets he broke dishes and left the house in a chaos. 

Despite all this and many more I’m worried to ask to be reimbursed because of the possibility of negative comments.

Although I have pictures to prove it... I will suck it up.

Shame you should take care of your hosts,

Airbnb this Refers to you! 

Shame

I have had this same thing happen to me! Ask for guest to pay for damages and then have them retaliate with a terrible review! I now am scarred to ask for the guests to cover damages. Because a 1 star review and loss of super host status is not worth it in most cases!! It’s a flawed  system. I just had a guest break and box spring and bed frame (?????) but am wondering  if it’s worth the bad review to request them to cover the damage…. 🤦‍♀️

Brian2305
Level 1
Huntsville, UT

In all seriousness, who is interested in a class action lawsuit about this issue?

I've had the same situation, where a guest smoked in the condo and caused $6k in damages. They were confrontational when I politely told them to stop, and on doorbell security camera threatened me and expressed concern about paying a fine. They retaliated with low stars. AirBNB originally told me by phone they wouldn't let the guest leave a bad review, but now are letting the low ratings stand. I consider the low stars cyber bullying and harassment by the malicious guest, and AirBNB liable for facilitating a platform that allows this to happen.

Further, the guest arrived half a day before official checkin, and complained that the previous guest was still in the room and I was washing the linens (yes, because the checkout time for the last guest hadn't happened yet!). So the complaining guest should not be allowed to rate me low on checkin, appearance etc. Legally the guest was trespassing by arriving that early.