Guest damaged my home then threatened bad review if I requested money

Guest damaged my home then threatened bad review if I requested money

I am a super host with a 4.9 star rating and 286 reviews. 

Unfortunately during the stay of our last guest, the guest damaged our home and a brand new comforter went missing.  Not horrible stuff here but the guest clearly should pay for the damages and the missing item. 

I politely asked the guest to pay for the items.  She refused to pay, then threatened to write a bad review if I continued to ask for money. 

I told Airbnb about her threats.  Showed Airbnb the messages and continued to pursue reimbursement for the damages and the missing item.  Airbnb sided with me and charged the guest for the damages and missing item.

The guest wrote and published the 1 star review as she threatened.  (the only 1 star review I have ever received in almost 2 years of hosting)

Airbnb is refusing to take down the review stating it doesn't violate their content policy.  How can extortion be allowed??  This is crazy to me.  Any guidance would be much appreciated. 

18 Replies 18

I am experiencing this as of today.  I politely asked for an additional cleaning amount, and where missing items are located?  She replied to say my cleaning staff is full of themselves and crazy.  Then she says, if you leave me a bad review, mine will be way worse!

I responded and asked why she is being so nasty and sent the pictures.  She has one one star review, the rest are all 5s.  I feel like I need to report her to AirBNB, but don't see a way to.  

Any advice?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jerry475 

In order to report a guest, you need to click on the little flag next to one of their messages. Then you will se the options to report, block etc. I'm not saying that will make a great deal of difference though, as I reported and blocked a guest who was being fraudulent (on Airbnb's instructions), yet they allowed her to remain on the platform and book stays with other hosts using a fake profile....

I have to ask though, why on earth would you agree to host a guest who has a 1* review?

Breanna57
Level 2
Miami, FL

I am having this same issue right now with two guests that made a reservation and invited of people and caused damaged and then have the audacity to threaten bad reviews 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Quote Airbnb's review policy to them (find it on the Airbnb Help website) which makes it clear they can't threaten a bad review in order for you not to pursue them for damages.

Flag with Airbnb

Make a claim for damages through Airbnb @Breanna57