Guest damages print left on floor

Marcus73
Level 2
New South Wales, Australia

Guest damages print left on floor

tl;dr My guest damaged a print I had on the floor and I'm unsure of what to do.

I acquired a print of an old tourist poster when I was travelling in France a few years ago. I had left it on the floor to unroll/flatten before framing, and it was up against one side of the room away from where anyone could walk on it. My guests were checking out, but I had agreed to allow them to keep their luggage here so they could explore on the last day. I said to put the luggage over on this side, and the guest rolled it right over the print, nowhere near where I pointed. Now it has a large mark/scratch and it's basically useless framing it. Is this an insurance thing? Or something I need to negotiate with the guest? What's the best practice here? The print isn't super rare, I costed it at about $25, but I'm a little upset this memento of my trip is gone. I'm afraid of getting a negative review (I wouldn't be surprised) because I'm a new host. Advice?

7 Replies 7
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Let it go. Not really the guest's fault and not a great place to leave a print (which you now know). Move on. 

@Marcus73

You could ask the guest for compensation, but..... that isnt going to get you a new print (unless you can re-order online ?) ...and the amount that you might ask for is going to be relatively small.

Airbnb will not consider that. It is a small accident as far as they are concerned....and they tend to only deal with criminal damage ..or accident damage on a bigger scale.

Annoying and careless---- but..forget it.....welcome to world of Airbnb Hosting

Marcus73
Level 2

@Gordon0 not helpful, but thanks for stating the obvious anyway. Thanks for the considered response @Mike478 and @Ange2. I think you're right. It's a shame it happened but not worth the hassle. They did notice it, but it was already a bit hectic checking out, and I was already a bit annoyed by them springing on me their wish to keep their bags there (and me having to give them my keys to the next guest so they could come back in at their leisure). This sums it up, doesn't it:

@Mike340 wrote:

Annoying and careless---- but..forget it.....welcome to world of Airbnb Hosting

@Marcus73   Maybe worth checking out local luggage storage places and adding them as information to your listing. I do that and have also added the list to my welcome so they know upfront that leaving luggage before/after check-in/check-out is not part of the deal, that it is clearly a  favor if I allow it.  Most guests are grateful and responsible if I allow storage, but not all.  I see hosting as a game of calculated risk and on occasion I do lose. It does leave a bitter taste especially when guests are fully aware of damage they have caused but refuse, to offer recompense unasked or take responsibility and retaliate when challenged and Airb offers no support.  btw: some hosts charge for luggage storage.

Marcus73
Level 2

Hi @Ange2, what would you say is an adequate amount to charge for luggage storage? My average per day price of the private room is $55-65

@Marcus73   I do not know, I do not charge for it.  Best is to do some research to see what luggage storage places near you charge. Maybe write a new post so people who do charge can chime in. btw: I have no idea how hosts charge or collect the fee for this,  that would be something you would need to find out and declare on your listing, and I would advise, upfront in a message too, to avoid problems with fractious guests.

@Marcus73   You could bring it up with the guest, you would know better if that is wise or worth it having interacted with them. Could be they didn't even notice.  Some guests may retaliate, but many are respectful and responsible. Good lesson to learn is knowing when and what battle to choose so you don't lose the war. And do not be afraid of negative reviews, it will end up controlling you and you'll burn out. btw:  you can always respond to a negative review.