Guest demands services not offered after they vacated, doesn't read advert or house rules gives bad review

Claire1328
Level 4
Portsmouth, United Kingdom

Guest demands services not offered after they vacated, doesn't read advert or house rules gives bad review

I need some help with my first nightmare guest who didn't read my advert, booked something not suited and then wanted services I didn't offer - after she had checked out and woke me up. Because she was such a nightmare I refused to do more favours after vacated and this is what had triggered this no doubt terrible review

She has reviewed me

I know it's going to be bad. Probably one stars all round. Ruining all my hard work with five star reviews. I was about to get super host even with a shared bathroom

This is what happened

My listing and booking messages state in multiple places it isn't self check in and an appropriate arrival time is needed before booking (so I know if I can accommodate) and a firmer time evening before. Also in house rules and in listing states that luggage drop off isn't offered

By the morning of her arrival, I still did not have a time of arrival 

I thought this was perhaps because she was new to air BnB (just joined no reviews) however, even after politely explaining to her the difference between self check in and a check in window  listing where the host need to be home to welcome and give a key, she thought she should be entitled to arrive anytime she wanted as the response to my message was she "hadn't booked a check in time" 

After further messaging trying to explain and get an approximate time of arrival (on the day she was due), she then informed me (not asked) that she would be arriving any time from 13:00 (two hours before my check in window started) and 23:00 at night.

I again explained about the check in window and said I could accommodate earlier than 15:00 however, I would need an approximate time as I couldn't sit in for ten hours. She told me 14:00. however, turned up nearly three hours later with zero contact, in spite of my  attempts to get any response

she only lived 1.5 hours away! So she hasn't even left at the time she said she would be here

was told directly when she did arrive  that she had "no reason" be hours late and didn't let me know because she "couldn't be bothered". This set the tone for the entire one night stay

Very demanding during her stay - all of which I accommodated - eight slices of bread that were intended for other guests breakfast I made into sandwiches for her lunch! On the day she checked out!

She informed me she'd ordered food late at night and then didn't answer the door for it, so I had to bring it to her 

Asked an iron and ironing board at nearly midnight (I set it up for her, then she didn't use it or put out away)

Refused to let me know what time she was checking out.

Worst part - AFTER she had vacated in the day of check out, and with no mention prior to booking or at ANY point during her stay that this is what she wanted, rang my doorbell insistently AFTER SHE VACATED (waking me up) to INSIST that she leave a bag at my house to collect later.

When I explained that this was not a service I offered and that this was mentioned in the advert and house rules. She replied that this is something she wanted and I should do it as a favour or she would give me a bad review.

I declined to take the bag and said she had checked out and needed to leave. Thus, my no doubt bad review after all five star reviews..

I'm so angry about this. By the time I realised what she was like it was too late to cancel or get out of this booking without penalty for me, so I  tried to tough it out for the one night.

However, I draw the line at being woken up and blackmailed into taking bags and then having to sit in for another day while she refuses to communicate what time she'll be collecting the bag on a day she isn't even checked into my room!

QUESTIONS

Can I get her review removed because she tried to get me to do something not listed after she vacated and (verbally) threatened bad review? I can't prove this as she made sure to do it verbally

If I can't get the review taken down how do I review her? Do I stick with the classic?

"Unfortunately can not recommend to any host. Only suited to hotel. One star for both communication and house rules as neither seemed important to her and she seemed unwilling to accept any kind of reasonable boundary at all even when mentioned in advert and house rules"

Or do I go into more details?

And What should I write as response to her revenge review?

I've updated advert and rules to make it even clearer I can't have turn up whenever you like with ZERO communication and I have also made it even clearer in not taking your luggage after you check out (there isn't the space and I just don't want to sit in another day unpaid for people to collect luggage when there are paid places you can leave luggage in my city) and hope that helps for future. But that doesn't help me now

please please help

Any advice appreciated

53 Replies 53
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Claire1328 

So sorry that this happened to you. What a spoilt, entitled, nasty little brat this guest was. 

I agree with all the advice you've been given already but it's hard to suggest a response to her review until we've seen it.

In terms of the timing of the review, from what I understand, the reviews are normally displayed in the order of the dates of the stay, not the dates they were written (although Airbnb can also display them according to the language/nationality of the guest searching). So, by leaving it closer to the deadline, you will hopefully have newer reviews above it, rather than it appearing at the top.

I also think that @Ann72 's advice about deleting the listing and creating a new one is worth considering if the review and ratings are truly terrible. However, do remember that the reviews/ratings are still linked to your profile, so will still affect your overall rating and chances of Superhost if Airbnb do not remove them. At least though it will not drag down that particular listing or appear on the listing page if you create a new one.

In terms of the future, I don't accept one night stays, but I can see you have good reasons for doing this. The check in and bag storage problem is something that I used to encounter quite often when I first started hosting. I posted this a few months into it: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/How-can-I-stop-guests-ignoring-the-check-in-time/m-p/304...

Perhaps you will find some useful advice on that topic there. I have found that I needed to get very strict about it. No more bag drop offs/pick ups. I make this clear in my house rules, but what helped was to offer solutions. In London there are several cheap luggage storage options that guests are not normally aware of (they include stasher.com, luggagehero.com and nannybag.com). Perhaps there are similar ones in your area.

Now, that's not to say I'm never flexible about my check in window or about letting guests leave bags, but only when it's convenient for me and the guest is super nice. So, I communicate very clearly that I am not flexible so that it is MY choice and then also the guests see it as a bonus rather than a given.

I hope that you never get another guest as selfish as this one but, unfortunately, these types show up every now and again. To avoid this issue, I try to get an agreed arrival time as soon as possible. Don't have a deadline of the evening before (unless you accept a lot of last minute bookings, which it sounds like you don't). That's far too late.

My rules state that the guest must communicate time of arrival prior to or at the time of booking. Of course, if their stay is a long way off, I tell them to let me know once they've booked their flight (or whatever) but if they don't, I will start chasing them at least a few days before. I haven't needed to do it for a long time, but when I had guests who just wouldn't give me a time within my check in window, then I have called Airbnb. When it is not an instant booking, then it's not easy to get a penalty free cancellation, but CS (back when they were still pretty decent) would contact the guest and tell them that they needed to communicate with me/follow my rules. I am not sure if that still works.

More important even than getting a confirmation of check in time well in advance is getting a confirmation that the guest has understood and agrees to the house rules. To ensure this, I have an 'Easter egg' question in there that they must answer. I will simply not accept a booking until they do. If you still have trouble with a guest after they have confirmed this, then know your boundaries and repeat, "I'm sorry, but as mentioned on the listing/in the house rules, which you agreed to X, Y, Z, isn't possible."

In cases of review extortion, yes, you need it in writing. Follow up any verbal conversations on the Airbnb messaging system. Perhaps the guest is too clever to respond in writing, but a lot of guests don't even realise that Airbnb can read their messages to you and/or that they aren't allowed to use the threat of a bad review, so it's worth a shot. I actually had a review removed once because the correspondence with the guest proved that they were breaking the house rules, causing damage etc. as well as being rude and unreasonable. They totally gave themselves away in that message thread!  Again, not saying that would happen these days as a lot has changed with Airbnb CS.

Claire1328
Level 4

Thank you so much for taking the time to give this detailed reply with loads of great advice!

I will try and put into place as much as I can . I'm exhausted ATM so will reply later.

However, it seems to me and I find shocking is that there is little point having any house/check in/check out windows or rules if air BnB allow guests to disrespect them and then allow a revenge review when you refuse to be a doormat and penalise

Worst they then punish you financially beyond just refunding them if cancelling is the only way out of a situation that you know full well is only going to go bad for you.

Bad entitled guests leave bad reviews no matter what you do to make them happy. It just isn't worth having them in your house for the hassle they will cause you. But often, once accepted, it appears there is no way out.

If they aren't following rules before they arrive that isn't going to improve. We should be allowed to tell them to go elsewhere because they've shown it's not going to work before they've even set foot in your home.

i can't see why air BnB wants current situation. Host miserable and complaining. Guest unhappy and complaining. They should intervene and insist guest books somewhere more suitable and follows the rules they've agreed to, or they get removed from the platform. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Claire1328 wrote:

i can't see why air BnB wants current situation. Host miserable and complaining. Guest unhappy and complaining. They should intervene and insist guest books somewhere more suitable and follows the rules they've agreed to, or they get removed from the platform. 

Because Airbnb (in most circumstances) still gets their fee and they are a multi-billion dollar corporation. Despite all the fuzzy, touchy feely language and virtue signalling, what they really care about is the bottom dollar, which is why CS has turned from something reasonably decent into something very below par. What Airbnb really cares about is the volume, not quality of bookings.

So, the vetting of guests becomes more important than ever as we cannot rely on Airbnb to help us with problems. Once upon a time, I used to believe that Airbnb did indeed have my back when guests were breaking house rules. I am really not sure about that anymore...

Claire1328
Level 4

Surely, if guests and hosts are having bad experience this will result in drop in revenue as hosts leave and guests  stop booking. If hosts leave there is reduced places to stay and reduced income stream to take money from. They need us also. I can't see having both sides upset benefits their business model. Clearly, they think otherwise

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

@Claire1328  If you're lucky this guest will out herself in her own review (boasting about the extortion, or complaining about how you wouldn't give her extra services), and you'll be able to have it removed and/or respond appropriately. be sure to let us know how it goes. 

Pam1384
Level 2
St. Louis, MO

Also, I just had my first nightmare after 3 years of Suoer Host and learned this the hard way. Do NOT file a damage report until reviews are posted bnb shares them with the guest which empowered mine to write a 3000 word rant about what an awful host and awful home I have. I doubt if she would have even submitted a review otherwise.  AirBNB will not remove it. It's just hanging out there destroying my business. I will never file another damage report..it's just not worth it. I just have to hope the people who are currently booked will leave me 5 stars to make her look like the horrible person she is.

This isn how bad she was. She broke every rule.

Tried to rush in on the cleaning crew when I told her she could not check in early,

Brought dogs without telling me or paying the fee

Demanded to use the neighbors dog pen because she saw it in a picture

The entire house smelled like pot

She did not take out one item of trash

The dogs defecated and urinated on the carpets

The countertops were loaded with dirty dishes and trash

The refrigerator was so packed full the food fell out when the door was opened and blood leaked into the lower drawers

My cleaning crew was in tears.  I had to pay them double. 

She was there only THREE nights.

Now she says she is "coming after me" and her lawyer whose name is Will is going to sue me. 🤣

She also posted her rant in response to my negative review of her profile.  So I don't expect she will be getting any more bookings.

Bnb has it under review but my expectations are not high

I set up a listing on VRBO since our place is the entire house.

Claire1328
Level 4

How long do I have to respond to her review after it goes live in 14 days? I presume there is a time limit? As I can't respond to really old (positive) reviews I have

Feli1839
Level 1
Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago

In future, if you don't give them a review their review won't show up. I don't think there are any consequences of not giving a review.

I burned to learn from a guest who gave me a bad review because my studio apartment was smaller than he expected despite my numerous clear pictures. I politely responded though that it was unfortunate that the size didn't meet his expectations although the numerous pictures gave as best an idea of the size but hoped all the positives like the cleanliness and central location made his stay great! 

I had 3 similar nightmare guests. I even had to call police for one who refused to leave by the midday checkout time and verbally abused me when I tried to enforce it. During which time I accommodated him with small food and cosmetic items not listed as offered. I even gave huge discounts to accommodate his during the pandemic. Oh he clogged up the toilet badly as well.

Another was like yours with the late check in, helped her offload her 10 or so heavy bags and she couldn't drive to save her life which made the tight parking situation as previously explained to her impossible. Had to let her park in our driveway to be accommodating. Used out the 2 rolls of toilet paper in 3 days and about a half tank of cooking gas waking me up all hours of the morning to get more although I expressed my hours of availability being a night owl and not a morning person. I eventually politely suggested she seek accommodation elsewhere so as to get my peace of mind back and not be penalized. I told her she would get a refund for the days she did not stay. She then asked for a refund for all the days. I told her there is no justification for a full refund. Thank goodness she got another place and I found peace. I even had to take a break from hosting after that experience. 

I had another who stayed with her son and had a parrot and a rabbit and left the place with rabbit poop and pet food everywhere. It was just disgusting. 

Sorry to say these nightmares usually only happen with local guests.

Hope this brings you some comfort that you are not alone. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Feli1839 wrote:

In future, if you don't give them a review their review won't show up.

Sorry, but that is totally incorrect. There is a 14 day period in which hosts and guests can leave a review. If both leave it before that, both reviews will show up as soon as both parties have done so. If only one party, either the guest or host, leaves a review and the other doesn't, that review will also show up after the 14 day period has ended.

Claire1328
Level 4

This didn't get picked up and I can't find the answer anywhere. Anyone know, how long do I have to respond to her no doubt awful review after her review goes live in 14 days? I presume there is a time limit? ( I can't respond to really old (positive) reviews I have)

@Claire1328  Don't forget to check the Help Center for topics like this!

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/32/responding-to-reviews

You can post a public response to a review that someone has left for you within 30 days after the review was submitted (not published). 

Not true. Their review shows up in 14 days if you write your own or not. 

Claire1328
Level 4

Ok. I have to post my review of her in 24 hours. Is this ok?

"Unfortunately ____ was not a good fit for my home even though she only stayed one night. High maintenance guest better suited to a property that provides 24 hour staff service. Communication around arrival was extremely challenging, inconsiderate and rude (one star). She also insistently demanded services not offered in my listing - and was unwilling to accept any boundary around this - even when it states clearly in listing and house rules as not offered (one star). Can not recommend."

I'll post her review when it goes live to get thoughts on my response

Many thanks

Claire1328
Level 4

I've 24 hours to post my review of her.

Is this ok? Not violating any community standards for reviews? 

"Unfortunately ____ was not a good fit for my home even though she only stayed one night. High maintenance guest better suited to a property that provides 24 hour staff service.  Communication around arrival was extremely challenging, inconsiderate and rude (one star). She also insistently demanded services not offered in my listing - and was unwilling to accept any boundary around this - even when it states clearly in listing and house rules as not offered (one star). Can not recommend"

I'll post her review when it goes live to get thoughts on my response please

many thanks for your help so far

@Claire1328  It looks fine to me.