Guest demands services not offered after they vacated, doesn't read advert or house rules gives bad review

Claire1328
Level 4
Portsmouth, United Kingdom

Guest demands services not offered after they vacated, doesn't read advert or house rules gives bad review

I need some help with my first nightmare guest who didn't read my advert, booked something not suited and then wanted services I didn't offer - after she had checked out and woke me up. Because she was such a nightmare I refused to do more favours after vacated and this is what had triggered this no doubt terrible review

She has reviewed me

I know it's going to be bad. Probably one stars all round. Ruining all my hard work with five star reviews. I was about to get super host even with a shared bathroom

This is what happened

My listing and booking messages state in multiple places it isn't self check in and an appropriate arrival time is needed before booking (so I know if I can accommodate) and a firmer time evening before. Also in house rules and in listing states that luggage drop off isn't offered

By the morning of her arrival, I still did not have a time of arrival 

I thought this was perhaps because she was new to air BnB (just joined no reviews) however, even after politely explaining to her the difference between self check in and a check in window  listing where the host need to be home to welcome and give a key, she thought she should be entitled to arrive anytime she wanted as the response to my message was she "hadn't booked a check in time" 

After further messaging trying to explain and get an approximate time of arrival (on the day she was due), she then informed me (not asked) that she would be arriving any time from 13:00 (two hours before my check in window started) and 23:00 at night.

I again explained about the check in window and said I could accommodate earlier than 15:00 however, I would need an approximate time as I couldn't sit in for ten hours. She told me 14:00. however, turned up nearly three hours later with zero contact, in spite of my  attempts to get any response

she only lived 1.5 hours away! So she hasn't even left at the time she said she would be here

was told directly when she did arrive  that she had "no reason" be hours late and didn't let me know because she "couldn't be bothered". This set the tone for the entire one night stay

Very demanding during her stay - all of which I accommodated - eight slices of bread that were intended for other guests breakfast I made into sandwiches for her lunch! On the day she checked out!

She informed me she'd ordered food late at night and then didn't answer the door for it, so I had to bring it to her 

Asked an iron and ironing board at nearly midnight (I set it up for her, then she didn't use it or put out away)

Refused to let me know what time she was checking out.

Worst part - AFTER she had vacated in the day of check out, and with no mention prior to booking or at ANY point during her stay that this is what she wanted, rang my doorbell insistently AFTER SHE VACATED (waking me up) to INSIST that she leave a bag at my house to collect later.

When I explained that this was not a service I offered and that this was mentioned in the advert and house rules. She replied that this is something she wanted and I should do it as a favour or she would give me a bad review.

I declined to take the bag and said she had checked out and needed to leave. Thus, my no doubt bad review after all five star reviews..

I'm so angry about this. By the time I realised what she was like it was too late to cancel or get out of this booking without penalty for me, so I  tried to tough it out for the one night.

However, I draw the line at being woken up and blackmailed into taking bags and then having to sit in for another day while she refuses to communicate what time she'll be collecting the bag on a day she isn't even checked into my room!

QUESTIONS

Can I get her review removed because she tried to get me to do something not listed after she vacated and (verbally) threatened bad review? I can't prove this as she made sure to do it verbally

If I can't get the review taken down how do I review her? Do I stick with the classic?

"Unfortunately can not recommend to any host. Only suited to hotel. One star for both communication and house rules as neither seemed important to her and she seemed unwilling to accept any kind of reasonable boundary at all even when mentioned in advert and house rules"

Or do I go into more details?

And What should I write as response to her revenge review?

I've updated advert and rules to make it even clearer I can't have turn up whenever you like with ZERO communication and I have also made it even clearer in not taking your luggage after you check out (there isn't the space and I just don't want to sit in another day unpaid for people to collect luggage when there are paid places you can leave luggage in my city) and hope that helps for future. But that doesn't help me now

please please help

Any advice appreciated

53 Replies 53
Claire1328
Level 4

Found her star ratings for me

Accuracy 2

Check-in 1

Cleanliness 3

Communication 1

Location 3

Value 2

She's given me an average rating of two stars!!! 

Surely she can't get away with this? It's proven in messages that this is total nonsense. 

There is nothing in my listing that isn't accurate 

The reason check in and communication was difficult is because of her! hours I waited in for her while she refused to reply to messages. Refused to obey and house rule around it then gives me one star for check in and communication 

Value 2!? She demanded i make her sandwiches for her lunch for the day she checked out (which like a fool, I did) 

Sorry for the rant but this is rediculous

I know it's hard @Claire1328 but try not to let it get to you. We have all been there. Me probably as much as anyone replying on this thread! 

Hawaii is a destination where people come with high expectations and you are expected to be a part of their perfect dream vacation. They haven't read my listing carefully and arrive with a certain idea of what Hawaii should be, and often I am not that.  So I have gotten my share of crap guests and totally unfair and nasty reviews over the many many years I have been doing this. It never gets easier each time. But we can't let it mess with our heads, we just can't. At the end of the day they are just a person who would still complain if given a suite at Buckingham Palace with the Queen's staff waiting on them. 

People will still book. They will look at her review and scoff. If it even stands. In the meantime, call it in, open a case and take this advice from the great Elizabeth Taylor: 

"Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together."

Claire1328
Level 4

Thank you. This has helped a lot. Thanks you for your understanding. It's the stars given nor than anything not her rediculous accusation as it will totally ruin any chance of Superhost and also affect my ranking in search results. Ie it will cost me bookings

My dear, I do feel your pain. I have been a host since the early days of Air when they were a brand new start up... And boy oh boy, the things I have seen guests do and say would boggle your mind. As I said, they have slammed me, spanked me, wrecked me and insulted me. Something about my place was not how they pictured Hawaii to be. This is why I am at a 4.6 something instead of a five. Because of one or two one star reviews where the people were expecting the Four Seasons and a Butler and instead got a small studio in South Kona. My son says it's literally mathematically impossible to get back to a 5 now, so I have let it go. I just do my best.

As one host a friend of mine said, "They will still book your cute place." And they do. 

The review system is my biggest bugaboo about Airbnb.  But there's nothing we can do to change the ratings we are given.

I DO think this review accusing you of racism will be removed. So try not to worry about one crackpot guest. 

I have had so many crazies over the years! I have had people rake me over the coals over nothing. Because I wasn't their idea of Hawaii. So be it! 

The good news is, these lunatics check out and they never have to darken your door again! 

@Claire1328   Once again, here is the link telling you that you have 30 days from the date a review was written to reply to it:  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/32/responding-to-reviews

It's bad luck that you had to take a low rating on a new listing, but of course the more ratings you accumulate, the less each one will impact the average. Superhost is just a gimmick meant to manipulate your behavior, not a thing most guests actually care about. On the plus side, this stinker review is already buried under more detailed, positive ones, and your listing's convenience and value factors should help it overcome the disappointing rating average. 

I would suggest that you stop framing the guest's remark in terms of "skin color," because colorism isn't necessarily the main bias black people have in mind when thinking that race or ethnicity has influenced the outcome of a situation. You and the guest have both exercised your freedom to express your unflattering opinions of each other; if you don't want to come across as racist, I don't recommend implying that a black person should be denied the same freedom of expression that you have just because it might offend you or cost you bookings.

Claire1328
Level 4

A person of any colour isn't entitled to use their race as a weapon to try and blackmail people. Or make sweeping statements slandering someone's character online with zero evidence

That's like saying it's okay and my right to accuse you of sexual harassment because you are a guy and that's my freedom of expression  so, unless you do everything I ask when I stay at your house!, I'll cry sexual predator  That's total nonsense.

There are facts and their are opinions. Fact. I did not behave in any way racist to this guest in fact, I bent over backwards to accommodate her and keep her happy . Unfortunately, she was rude, unappreciative,  entitled, spoilt, inconsiderate and refused to accept any boundaries at all. That's on her. Not me

I will now be very wary of who I let into my home for fear of this nonsense  happening again.

Thankfully, air bnb agrees with me and has removed this unfounded slanderous review.

Thank you so much everyone who took the time to support me and gave advice . 

I believe this nutcase has violated the review standards which should get this review pitched. I would try calling again, escalate this. 

She needs to book the **bleep** Taj Mahal next time! 

just sent you a DM.

whewwwww! Congrats! I knew it wouldn't stand.