Guest did not realize he was paying and confirming

Michael22
Level 1
Washington, District of Columbia, United States

Guest did not realize he was paying and confirming

Guest thought he was inquiring and did not realize he was going to be charged immediately. He wants to cancel which is fine with me. Is there any way he can keep from being charged by AirBNB?

He mistakenl made the reservation yesterday.

3 Replies 3
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Michael22,

I would have the guest contact Airbnb directly.  He can find the contact number on his confirmation. 

Cheers

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

@Michael22

Many people (hosts and guests) use the website without even looking at how it works.

Airbnb won't cancel the reservation fees.

Guests cannot say they did not know as they wrote they CB number + date of expiration + pin code.

When you do that on any websites , you pay.

Lesson learned.

I ditto Nathalie.  Too many people are signing up to use Airbnb without knowing the basic information -- such as hosts who sign up and then ask, does the guest pay me when they arrive, or as in your case, the guest who thinks they are asking you a question, but has in fact booked a reservation.  

I do think that Airbnb made it a little more difficult to simply contact a host and ask them a question, without submitting a reservation request.  It used to be that the "contact host" button was up at the top of the page, and the request to book was not so prominent.   But even so, there is information as one goes along that tells you that you have submitted a reservation request and that it will be confirmed if the host accepts it.  

We as hosts want guests who read our listing----- so it's good that sometimes guests have to pay a "fine" if they dont' read all the info. It is a good way to drive home a lesson.   I just hope the mistake isn't too costly.