Guest does not read amenities list & gets full refund (?)

Nikolas--Roberta-and-Mar0
Level 1
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Guest does not read amenities list & gets full refund (?)

Hello,

After lots of great experience with our guests and the services provided by AIRBNB we have now a very unfortunate case at hand.

Our guest left the premises ca 2 hours after check-in as the property did not have  air-conditioning. 

The property does not have and never had AC. Nor AC was never listed as an amenity in the house (this can be easily checked in IT AIRBNB systems).

To our great surprise, AIRBNB cancelled the reservation on our behalf the night between July 7-July 8 (at ca 12AM). We spent the all day on July 8 on the phone with AIRBNB to avoid the issues related to the host cancelling the reservation (e.g. automatic cancellation reviews). Our calendar was blocked the all day on July 8 till we manage to get through somebody and to get the "penalty" (?) lifted.

Now, since July 8 we have been calling AIRBNB and sending email to our "case manager" first trying to understand what happened and then just trying to get the full refund that we believe the guest/AIRBNB owe to us. No answers to our questions despite escalations (or attempted escalations).

Nothing.

Today (26 days later!) our "case manager" informed us that the guest provided a medical certificate that says that he is allergic to mosquito bites. This is how the case manager justify the "urgency" of cancelling the reservation on our behalf in the middle of the night.

Now, here is what we believe and what makes it unacceptable for us to understand the rational that AIRBNB is applying:

1. there was never AC listed as an amenity. If AC was an important feature for the guest he should have booked a house with AC not one without
  2. mosquito nets have been professionality installed in 2016. This is an amenity that is not even listed in AIRBNB. The guest found more amenities that he book for.
  3. There is no (medical) reason for a person with allergy to be in any danger when sleeping in a room with mosquito nets.
  4. furthermore, the allergy did not sudden happen. The guest was allergic before booking hence he had all the info available (no AC, I have allergy) at the moment of booking
  5. the host/AIRBNB should not be responsible for the guest negligence to read the list of amenities and decide what they like and what they not

We believe that we have the rights to get fully paid for the week that was booked. What is your view? We read AIRBNB policies and conditions but we can not find the condition that AIRBNB applied in this case

AIRBNB cancelled the reservation of one of the most lucrative weeks of the year (we only rent out in summer to cover our costs) so we will not give up that easily on this. Your experience and opinion is much appreciated! Thanks in advance

Side note: the same guest did not return the keys and ended up leaving the keys 1 hour and 15 minutes away by car in a 4 star hotel. AIRBNB still unable to resolve the matter around this (very telling) guest behavior.

Thanks again!

Roberta, Nikolas & Marco

23 Replies 23
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

My sympathies are with you, @Nikolas--Roberta-and-Mar0.  Holding the guest responsible for their choices is not the easiest thing to do.  If the guest provides legitimate proof of an extenuating circumstance, the policy overrides the host policy.  I cannot see what else you could have done.  

i had the same experience with air bnb the guest stayed 5 days then complained it was an 18 day booking airbnb shaundra the case manager canceled the booking on my side and wont pay me the 5 days they stayed ...the issue was i offered limited acsess to my kitchen because the guests were un verified and booked by a third party ..shaundra said i should give full acsess no locks even when i am asleep..after two hours of resolution talks i agreed to give them full acsess ..shaundra cancelled and refused paymnt air bnb says i have no other avenue 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Best never to assume your cancellation policy will be upheld, I take the view if that if a guest wants to work around it and tries hard enough they can.

David
Karen313
Level 10
San Clemente, CA

@Athenian-House0, Roberta & Marco I am so sorry. You do not appear to be in the wrong at all; it is distressing as a host to repeatedly read these types of scenarios are occurring. A lot goes into hosting, not so much goes into booking a place without reading the listing.
Please continue to contact the company, though I know that is not an enjoyable experience nor use of your time. Apparently social media has been an avenue other hosts have suggested in order to be heard. I wish you much luck.

@Nikolas--Roberta-and-Mar0 - Please read the Extenuating Circumstances policy: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320/what-is-airbnb-s-extenuating-circumstances-policy

Unfortunately, this is what qualified the guest for a refund.  It definitely sucks because being "allergic to mosquito bites" is a ridiculous medical condition that, in my book, would not result in a refund.  Was the guest never going to go outside the entire time they were in Amsterdam?  We all know it is because of the Airconditioning - even Airbnb knows this I'm sure - but the guest provided proof that they could not stay in a home that was not 100% free of mosquitos, which means he's entitled to the refund.  

Now for getting your funds back for having to retrieve the key!  You have EVERY right to charge for your time, milelage, gas, wear and tear, and any alternative security you had to provide to your home while the key was gone from your possession and the guest had it.  This will in no way come to the amount of money you've lost, but you can definitely be re-imbursed for this.  What has Airbnb said about that?  

Did Airbnb unblock the days the guest cancelled?  Were you able to re-rent the space?  It doesn't sound like you were, but I'm asking for clarity.  

Hi Alice & Jeff,

Thanks for your extensive comment. We read the extenuating circumstances, but honestly still do not understand which claim is relevant in this case. He had allergy also when  he booked, and there was never any air-conditioning. So all is as it was when booking.

To counter we are now getting medical documents that states it is perfectly safe for a person with mosquito allergy to sleep in a room with windows equipped with mosquito nets. We consulted medical experts on the topic. All bedrooms have professionally installed mosquito nets. (We never see mosquito's there, but installed it for the convenience of our guests). To your question, we were not able to rent out this high season week. Also, AirBnB so far has failed to return the key....to be continued.

Nikolas & Roberta

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Listing seems to have been taken down but was not in Amsterdam.

I do not see a problem with charging, collecting is another issue.

David

For clarity, listing is available and is "fantastic villa on the beach" Baia santa Reparata, santa Teresa Gallura Sardinia. We have 5 star rating and many happy guests 😉

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Nikolas--Roberta-and-Mar0

Unfortunately these days the guests are always right - more and more you can see this happening. Settiing themselves up for an IPO seems to be the driver behind both pushing up revenues by massively increasing the number of hosts, encouraging host to take rock bottom prices just to drive revenue and guest numbers, etc. You will alwasy lose out unfortunately.

Just one point: 

1. There is no (medical) reason for a person with allergy to be in any danger when sleeping in a room with mosquito nets.

Believe me, there is...I am severly allergic to mosquito bites and have to take numerous precautions - nets are just a part of the solution and I would not take that as the answer in any hotel/country where there are mozzies. 

Hi, thanks again for your comment. We are really sorry to hear about your mosquito allergy, must be a pain to combine with travels. Now you got us really curious though, since you have first hand experience with mosquito allergy. We are really trying to understand this hole thing. Would you mind us asking what kind of precautions you would take before booking an accommodation? What else than mosquito nets in the windows do you look for? 

All our ammeneties are carefully listed, and it clearly states we don't have airco....

Best regards

Nikolas & Roberta

Hi all - I admittedly skimmed many of the replies but at the very least, I plan to look at the extenuating circumstances policy.  Allergic to mosquito bites seems ridiculous and if this was allowed, it seems a pretty clear example of guests being favored over hosts.

I am also jumping on this thread out of total selfish neediness to spread my bile, I mean share my concern with others.  

I am sitting on this review/diatribe because I need to review and edit it OR NOT SEND IT when I am less angry and more clear-headed.

I am not sure if I would have had any luck had I contacted Airbnb first to make sure they were aware that the guest had already talked about finding a local place to stay and wanted to end her stay two weeks early.

Feel free to ignore as I am getting some small satisfaction just by the act of posting it.

I have had such positive experiences with my Airbnb guests that my interactions generally boost m y mood and make me feel good about the world.  This one left me feeling let down and slightly sick to my stomach for longer than I would like to admit.

Airbnb agreed with “Marnie” and left me $1000 short so sadly, I am left with using my review as the only form of justice I will get.

There are two sides to every story.  “Marnie” claimed to be afraid of one of my dogs and I was ready to refund her because I am a pushover, but the more I thought about the timing of when she told me she was too scared to enter the condo and the fact that she calmly entered my condo the following morning to collect her belongings, made me realize that her greater fear was of her student loan debt. 

Indeed, when she told me she was stopping by to pick up her belongings, I had assumed she would have rung the doorbell so I could put the dogs in my bedroom, but she entered with her key despite the fact that my dog was barking as she entered.  She did not seem scared at all.

I was so accommodating to “Marnie” from the start and I feel embarrassed and angry with myself for being such a sap.  Here are the bullet points:

• I allowed her to check in a day early without paying because she had to start work early the next day.
  • After spending the night at her boyfriend’s place Friday night, she asked if her sister could stay with her for a few nights and I told her she would not need to pay extra. Immediately after this, she informed me that she would be able to stay with a friend and wanted to cut her 4 week reservation by half and I agreed knowing full well that a lot of the Airbnb payment had already been spent.
  • The night after she made these requests, she called me saying that she was too scared to enter my condo. I was out and it would have taken too long to get home, but her boyfriend apparently entered the condo to get what she needed as I assume her plan was to spend the night at his place anyway.  One message to me reminded me of her financial concerns:  “I had to take financial aid to help pay for this trip and I shouldn’t have to worry about this.  But it’s nothing personal ….”
  • To repeat, she entered my condo the following morning despite the fact that my dog barked when he heard her enter the door code.
  • My sappy-ass self actually sent her a text to remind her to make the reservation change request through Airbnb that evening.
  • As I realized that I would have to scramble to transfer funds because I would be losing $1,000 I asked for other Airbnb hosts’ advice and their universal response was that she made a reservation for 26 days and the cancellation policy was such that I needn’t refund her at all.
  • I offered to keep Radar in my bedroom or in a crate to make her feel safe and agreed that she could cut her reservation by 2 weeks rather than 3. She later wrote to say “it concerns me that you even tried to negotiate and pass the blame on my end.”
  • She apparently was able to convince Airbnb that she became scared of Radar and they agreed with her. As I was trying to accommodate her early, unpaid arrival, I mentioned that I would feel better being home when she arrived because my dog was acting more territorial ever since the fireworks on the fourth of July.  She was able to use this against me.
  • Despite her telling me many times about her family’s dog and how mine reminded her of her own, she also told me Sunday morning that she had been attacked by a dog as a child and this was to explain her strong reaction to my dog. Perhaps she could have considered this when I told her about how he was behaving oddly.  I sent her this text a week before her scheduled arrival and she could have cancelled the reservation without penalty.
  • The message she sent to me the day after she got out of her reservation increased my anger and showed her to be entitled and focused on saving money since she had friends she was able to stay with for free.
  • “For me the space was becoming unsuitable and even the later stages feeling unsafe for me. I did not voice these concerns very loudly because I am trying to be thoughtful of your needs.”  Excuse me?  Were you whispering the concerns under your breath?  Was I supposed to read your mind?  Did she want congratulations for “being thoughtful of my needs?”  I think that she meant to say was the space was becoming TOO EXPENSIVE FOR ME as I realized I could stay with friends for free.
  • “At the end of the day though 90 dollars a night was unreasonable for my experience there and I have the right to leave when I felt was necessary.” First of all, my records indicate that I was getting $60/night so if she was paying $90, she should contact Airbnb and try to get more money back from THEM and not ME.  Even if I had charged $90/night, I am pretty sure SHE made the reservation and I did not force her to stay with me.  Furthermore, I would like to check Airbnb’s cancellation policy to see if it allows for the “right to leave when I feel necessary.”  Perhaps they have a special policy for millennials.
  • And then, the piece de resistance: “To extend this a week because of my concern for you (which was definitely on my mind thus why I tried to work with your process initially) would have been completely absurd. I would not do that for a hotel and would not expect to do so for you, despite the level of respect I had for you.”  OOOOH to be patronized by someone who wants a pat on the back for trying to “work with [my] process initially.” I feel all warm and fuzzy to know that she respects me!!!!  Once again, I will need to compare Airbnb’s cancellation policy to hotel policies but I am pretty sure they can absorb cancellations and expect them. 
  • So, in closing, I am the loser here. I lost a night’s worth of income when I allowed her to arrive early and I lost some sleep as I worried about her and her supposed fear of my dog and then I gained a little as I called her on her bluff and offered to keep Radar in my room.  But I lost again as she beat me to the punch and cried her crocodile tears to Airbnb.  I lost sleep and faith in humanity and lost the embarrassing amount of time and energy it has taken me to write this letter.  Oh, and I lost $1,000.
  • But future Airbnb hosts, it might indeed be true that she was scared of my dog. Either way, “Marnie” seems like a generally upstanding person who just felt justified in screwing me out of income and getting out of her reservation because she found better, FREE, options locally. 

If you focus is to tell her them that can be done throught the message system, if it is to leave a negative response for others then thumbs down, 1 across the board and a paragraph that gets the point across but not the extent ABB would remove it.

David

@Sinead4  Your "rant" was so skillfully written and rather funny, it took me awhile to realize you lost a chunk of change!  Your post is the cautionary tale for "no good deed goes unpunished"!  If a guest states they are afraid or a host states they are afraid, Air BNB will respond to the need for perceived safety.  Of course they have no information about subsequent behavior.  Not sure they can do anything else.  Your reviews have references to enjoying the puppies.  However, you could get in writing that there is no guest concern about the dogs.  

I suggest you remove your statements that your dog is "territorial".  I have a dog that is sweetness personified, but I still require that I greet all guests and introduce them to her.  I can assess the guest's reaction and I might even send a message commenting on the positive introduction.  

Obviously you are doing something right, so keep it up, but harden your heart a wee bit...:D

Jay18
Level 5
Borgarnes, Iceland

@Nikolas--Roberta-and-Mar0 I feel your pain. While we have not had that specific instance, it is deeply disappointing to hear that AirBnB would not actually hold a *guest* responsible for their not reading the amenities. We do not list the kitchen as being an amenity on the rooms of our B&B that we sometimes list on AirBnB. In fact, we specifically state in our listing that our license prohibits guest use of our kitchen for anything other than heating frozen or refrigerated pre-cooked food in the microwave, or the oven. No cooktop cooking allowed. They even have to agree to this under the house rules before they can book. Still some guests act shocked that they cannot cook. It has even made it into a couple reviews. What are hosts to do? If AirBnB refuses to hold guests accountable, and takes everything out on hosts, maybe hosts should take it out on AirBnB. Maybe a class-action lawsuit? Since AirBnB only seems to care about money, putting a dent in their wallet mike make a difference.