Guest doesn't want to leave!! What can I do?

Answered!
Ana246
Level 2
Modi'in-Maccabim-Re'ut, Israel

Guest doesn't want to leave!! What can I do?

I got a reservation from a couple in the last minute, and because I had other guest leaving in the same day of check-in and arriving at the same day of check-out, I was very clear that the times of check-out and check-in were very strict.

Now he sent me a message that "they are sorry but they won't leave the apartment" and is not answering my calls or text messages. I even offered him to reimburse the last night because I don't want to fight with him, but I need him to leave as promised and agreed.

OMG! What should I do?

1 Best Answer
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Santanu0 

What you are describing is possibly a little bit different. The guest was prepared to cooperate with Airbnb.

At times guests do take liberties where check-out is concerned and if possible we do have to be a bit flexible. Once you involve Airbnb to get the guest to leave you will almost certainly get a bad review......and with only 5 reviews behind you Santanu, a bad review is something you should try to avoid.

What @Ana246 was describing back in 2016 was the fact that an Airbnb guest had taken 'possession'  of her property and had no intention of relinquishing it until they were ready. It obviously resolved itself because she unfortunately did not come back here to tell us of the outcome!

We have heard of this before, the guest goes to a local hardware and change the locks thereby precluding the host from gaining access to his/her property. 

In most instances police will not want to get involved because it is deemed to be a civil matter and not one that requires police attendance.   Situations like that are difficult and it's a pity that authorities do not seem to regard trespass as....trespass, removal from the property is something that the court system will get around to in the fullness of time....and that can break a landlord!

Cheers.......Rob

View Best Answer in original post

54 Replies 54

I wish I saw this earlier. I involved the police today for the first time and am worried about the apartment complex if anyone would complain over this. The only thing I do differently is I rarely around anyone to book more than a single night, which has worked out well for me but this is a lesson learned the hard way, never to break that rule. 

Just a warning...if you are running an Airbnb out of an apartment you are renting without the written permission of the landlord, it may be considered an illegal sublet, and you'll be looking at eviction!

“I finally consulted an attorney and he advised me that the AirBNB license is not a tenant/landlord relationship but a licenser/licensee situation and you can ask the guest to leave for any violation of the terms.“

This depends on state and local law, which varies from place to place. Guests staying over 30 days can instantly gain Tenant Rights, and then you are screwed!

T61
Level 1
United Kingdom

Call air bnb 

I had a similar experience a week back as my guest has overstayed at my place even after expiry of period. I didn’t confront my guest but called ABB customer care and they helped me in informing my guest to leave . ABB was quite helpful to me.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Santanu0 

What you are describing is possibly a little bit different. The guest was prepared to cooperate with Airbnb.

At times guests do take liberties where check-out is concerned and if possible we do have to be a bit flexible. Once you involve Airbnb to get the guest to leave you will almost certainly get a bad review......and with only 5 reviews behind you Santanu, a bad review is something you should try to avoid.

What @Ana246 was describing back in 2016 was the fact that an Airbnb guest had taken 'possession'  of her property and had no intention of relinquishing it until they were ready. It obviously resolved itself because she unfortunately did not come back here to tell us of the outcome!

We have heard of this before, the guest goes to a local hardware and change the locks thereby precluding the host from gaining access to his/her property. 

In most instances police will not want to get involved because it is deemed to be a civil matter and not one that requires police attendance.   Situations like that are difficult and it's a pity that authorities do not seem to regard trespass as....trespass, removal from the property is something that the court system will get around to in the fullness of time....and that can break a landlord!

Cheers.......Rob

That is ridiculous. If they break the rules by illegally trespassing on your property they should in all cases forfeit their right to leave a review. This is preposterous. I'm taking my listing off of Airbnb after my reservations are fulfilled. This site is shady AF. I already had to turn off automatic booking because they booked my place for below my minimum price without asking me. 

Cherie71
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

We've had this happen twice in all the years we've had vacation rentals.  The first time I did the negotiating, calling the company, etc.  It was awful.  This last year, two apartments were rented by the same company as housing for their workers. They refused to leave on their scheduled date/time.  

It just so happened a friend, who is an electrician, had called about another matter.  He suggested I turn off the breakers to each of the apartments.  Oh my gosh! It was like the heavens opened up and the light shown in - so to speak. 🙂   I was able to do that without having to go by them (there were 15 guys) as the breaker boxes for the utilities are on the outside of the building in the back where we are the only ones with access.  Sure enough, 10 minutes after the power was turned off, they were rolling their suitcases to their vehicles and left.  It is amazing what happens when guests don't have WI-FI. 

Putting that one in my memory bank for 'just in case' @Cherie71  - love that idea!!!!

I thought about doing this last night then seen this post-haha

This is illegal in some cases, be careful with this method.

I would check your local laws before doing that. It's probably ok to do that since they don't have a signed lease. However, I know that it is illegal to do that to renters in my area even if they are breaking the law or aren't paying rent.

In some places, like in Berkeley CA, the homeowner could face criminal charges for turning off the power, once the guests have been there 30 days.

Call a lawyer! Making the wrong move in some places can cost you.

Tanya461
Level 2
County Tipperary, Ireland

I am in Ireland and this morning my guest, who is due to leave on 4th Aug, has informed me he has been to his solicitor and I can't get him out. I have called airbnb and now waiting for urgent response. House and garden are a mess and I am panicking

Hi @Tanya461 

How long has your guest been there and what term was the accommodation let for?