Guest doesn't want to leave!! What can I do?

Answered!
Ana246
Level 2
Modi'in-Maccabim-Re'ut, Israel

Guest doesn't want to leave!! What can I do?

I got a reservation from a couple in the last minute, and because I had other guest leaving in the same day of check-in and arriving at the same day of check-out, I was very clear that the times of check-out and check-in were very strict.

Now he sent me a message that "they are sorry but they won't leave the apartment" and is not answering my calls or text messages. I even offered him to reimburse the last night because I don't want to fight with him, but I need him to leave as promised and agreed.

OMG! What should I do?

1 Best Answer
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Santanu0 

What you are describing is possibly a little bit different. The guest was prepared to cooperate with Airbnb.

At times guests do take liberties where check-out is concerned and if possible we do have to be a bit flexible. Once you involve Airbnb to get the guest to leave you will almost certainly get a bad review......and with only 5 reviews behind you Santanu, a bad review is something you should try to avoid.

What @Ana246 was describing back in 2016 was the fact that an Airbnb guest had taken 'possession'  of her property and had no intention of relinquishing it until they were ready. It obviously resolved itself because she unfortunately did not come back here to tell us of the outcome!

We have heard of this before, the guest goes to a local hardware and change the locks thereby precluding the host from gaining access to his/her property. 

In most instances police will not want to get involved because it is deemed to be a civil matter and not one that requires police attendance.   Situations like that are difficult and it's a pity that authorities do not seem to regard trespass as....trespass, removal from the property is something that the court system will get around to in the fullness of time....and that can break a landlord!

Cheers.......Rob

View Best Answer in original post

54 Replies 54
Brigid1
Level 2
Kansas City, MO

This seems terrifying. 

Please let us know how it turns out. 

Dawn33
Level 10
San Marcos, TX

It is time to **call the police. Once they remove them, call Airbnb. They will charge him 1.5x the amount, I think.

Keep us updated!

**[Content removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

Ana246
Level 2

How can I call AirBnB?

Tom358
Level 1
Franquevielle, France

I wouldn't bother they just hung up on me when asking about a problem. 

Doubt that’s true. 

Actually, in many locations, an Airbnb renter can gain LEGAL TENANT’S RIGHTS, if they stay 30 days or more. If such a tenant were to refuse to leave, Airbnb cannot and likely will not be able to help. 

I met a man tonight whose longer term (2 months) guest has refused to leave, has WRITTEN (!)  that he will not pay rent, and that he intends to remain an additional 3 months. The house belongs to this guy’s elderly (in her 90s) mother, who lives in the main unit. 

This man has been trying to get help already for over a month from Airbnb, because the guest was wildly disruptive and repeatedly violated house rules. The renter has changed his Airbnb name numerous times, yet he’s been able to repeatedly gain a new Airbnb profile. Don’t assume guests have actually been vetted by Airbnb. They have most definitely not been vetted.

I found an article on Airhost Academy discussing this situation, which is a hidden, undisclosed nightmare for hosts in some US states and towns. This man’s mother’s home is in Berkeley, CA—probably the worst place on earth for an Airbnb host uninformed about tenant’s rights law. 

From the article:

“The law regarding tenant rights is different in every state. In a nutshell, if someone develops tenant rights, you could be unable to get them to leave your property unless you go through the formal eviction process. This can take several months and thousands of dollars.

Unfortunately, Airbnb doesn’t yet have a comprehensive way to handle the situation where an Airbnb guest won’t leave. Because the laws vary state-to-state, and dealing with this problem often requires independent legal assistance, it can be difficult for Airbnb to resolve this issue themselves. Airbnb does their best to help hosts caught in this situation, but you should do everything in your power to avoid this.“

How avoid this?
1. Learn your local Tenant Rights laws.

2. Think hard about allowing anyone to stay longer than 29 days.

3. Independently vet any long-term guest BEFORE accepting.

4. Clarify house rules in multiple ways, in multiple places, in writing and have your guest CONFIRM in writing that they understand and ageee. Note: this won’t save you if your guest gains tenant’s rights.

5. Find a lawyer ahead of time who will speedily prepare an eviction proceeding, should it come to that.

Typical  American, Texas response! They way to handle them is not like treating them as criminals! Its likely they have been out all day and haven't received the calls.

As a host you can turn up at the apartment at the agreed time, open the door and get your cleaning started for the next guest whilst still trying to call the guests.

The only time to call the police would be if the refuse to leave even after you get hold of them and explain the situation or if they get aggressive!

Where are the guests from?

American, Texas response? That is very bias and honestly quite ignorant of you to say such a thing. If a guest doesn’t want to leave and is refusing to leave the home at that point it is trespassing and the police should be called. That’s not a “typical American Texas response.” It’s simply called THE LAW. 

Actually Miss Texas was the ignorant and sexist one, telling a grown adult to "put her big girl panties on." How crude, inappropriate, and condescending. I don't see people speaking to grown men in that manner, ever.

Honestly, when you said the Texas way, I thought you were going to say go over there with your shot gun or something haha 

Not only was the comment overly reactive but was also ignorant and sexist. They really need to get 'em selves a proper education.

Read the article correctly - they already said they aren’t going to leave

You must get Airbnb involved immediately. Don't waste another minute. Contact info for Israel is available when you search in this forum.
Ana246
Level 2

How can I contact them? I can't find it anywhere