Guest doesn't want to leave!! What can I do?

in
Modi'in-Maccabim-Re'ut, Israel
Level 2

I got a reservation from a couple in the last minute, and because I had other guest leaving in the same day of check-in and arriving at the same day of check-out, I was very clear that the times of check-out and check-in were very strict. Now he sent me a message that "they are sorry but they won't leave the apartment" and is not answering my calls or text messages. I even offered him to reimburse the last night because I don't want to fight with him, but I need him to leave as promised and agreed. OMG! What should I do?

39 Replies

Re: Guest doesn't want to leave!! What can I do?

in
Kansas City, MO
Level 2

This seems terrifying. 

Please let us know how it turns out. 

in
San Marcos, TX
Level 10
It is time to pull on your big girl panties and call the police. Once they remove them, call Airbnb. They will charge him 1.5x the amount, I think.

Keep us updated!

in
Level 2

How can I call AirBnB?

in
Franquevielle, France
Level 1

I wouldn't bother they just hung up on me when asking about a problem. 

in
Hamilton, CA
Level 1

Doubt that’s true. 

in
United Kingdom
Level 1

Typical  American, Texas response! They way to handle them is not like treating them as criminals! Its likely they have been out all day and haven't received the calls.

As a host you can turn up at the apartment at the agreed time, open the door and get your cleaning started for the next guest whilst still trying to call the guests.

The only time to call the police would be if the refuse to leave even after you get hold of them and explain the situation or if they get aggressive!

Where are the guests from?

in
Los Angeles, CA
Level 4

American, Texas response? That is very bias and honestly quite ignorant of you to say such a thing. If a guest doesn’t want to leave and is refusing to leave the home at that point it is trespassing and the police should be called. That’s not a “typical American Texas response.” It’s simply called THE LAW. 

in
Florida, US
Level 4

Honestly, when you said the Texas way, I thought you were going to say go over there with your shot gun or something haha 

in
Lincoln, NE
Level 10
You must get Airbnb involved immediately. Don't waste another minute. Contact info for Israel is available when you search in this forum.

in
Level 2

How can I contact them? I can't find it anywhere

in
Stonington, CT
Level 10

in
Winslow, AZ
Level 10

Tell them they have broken the airbnb contractual agreement which is a legally binding agreement and they will be held accountable. email them through the airbnb platform to communicatte with them as well as having a record of the situation with airbnb.  Call airbnb now!  Do not break any of airbnb's rules yourself and if you have to call the police.  Try to get them to respond through the airbnb email platform and only deal in facts, do not make any unsubstanuated remarks.  What is their reason for not leaving? I hope this helps.  Please keep the forum posted.

Eloise

in
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Level 10

@Ana246

Additionally to the good advice of the other hosts here, it is an enormous help to hosts when they get out of the 'friends host' mentality and start wearing the "I'm a business" hat. That helped me a lot.

This way of thinking by no means decimates friendliness and helpfulness, yet helps you draw the line when your chain is yanked.

Your reluctant guest is in fact breaking their contract with you. Pull up those britches and kick 'em out.

in
Tampa, FL
Level 10

I would call Airbnb and ask them to reach out to the reluctant guest to arrange another place for them to stay for their extended visit.