Guest entered the propery after check out

Dora31
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Guest entered the propery after check out

here is what has happened

I was out of town therefore the check-in was managed by my cleaner, leaving the the keys in a lockpad for the guest for self check in on Saturday. 

Guest communication style was rather rude but oh well. he confirmed that he left the property around the check out time and put the key back where it was, in the lockpad on Sunday. 

my cleaner came over to do laundry and then left, the lockpad was still outside with the same code that the guest used. it was left outside in case a new guest books it last minute so they can do a self check in. there was no guest booking it in the end. 

the guest is texting me Sunday evening that he will enter the property as he knows the code to the lockpad as he left his charger there. I told him that i do not allow it, he checked out, that is it. I offered him that the cleaner can come over in the morning, or I will be back in town Monday evening so i can give him the key. 

My cleaner came over this morning, no sign of the charger, and she found the carpet dirty in the guest room. it seems that the guest did enter the room, noone else knew the code, no other guests. 

Obviously the guest is not saying much. 

what would you do in this case? No, i will not leave it as it is, I would like the guest to admit that he entered the property as we are very sure that he did: charger was not there, dirts on carpet from shoes, and the bedding was not how my cleaner left it. 

9 Replies 9
Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

He was in the wrong to enter after you said no. To avoid the problem in the future have the cleaner change the guest code when she comes over or consider a lock you can monitor and change remotely. 

Dora31
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

yes, but he is not saying that he did not enter, just queit. 

i have a CCTV on the building (not in the flat) that I could use. 

my question was more like how you convience him to tell the truth?

Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Bottom line is.. He. Doesn't. Have. To. It's on him to admit or deny he did it. Your transaction with him is complete and it's not as though you're going to meet up with him every boxing day and just be waiting for him l to say something. Let it go. 

Dora31
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

disagree. I was not in the property and it seems that he entered and stayed over. 

Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

And I'm out. Tried to offer some advice, then seems like you needed to hear some blunt words, now I see nothing is going to help. Good luck. 

Dora31
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

not sure why you take it personally, my query was different, please read before ressponding, cheers 🙂

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

You could go to the police and report him for breaking and entering. But you have no proof. The police will ask you how he got in and you will have to tell them that he had the lockbox code. I don't think there is much else you can do other than use this as an example as to why it is so important to change the code after every guest.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Dora31 Why do you want the guest to admit it? What steps will you take if they admit to it? I'm just not sure why you feel it's important for them to confess at this point. If he was dishonest enough to re-enter the property after checkout and you expressly told him not to, I can't see him having a sudden change of heart and admitting to it.

I would use this as a learning experience and move on. Change your code after each guest, and consider adding a security camera outside since you're an offsite host.

You could report the guest to Airbnb, as re-entering the property after checkout is a definite no-no, but without proof, I'm not sure that you should.

Andrea-and-Francis0
Level 10
Mississauga, Canada

Definitely change the codes immediately after guests leaves, we can do it instantly on our phones with our keyless keypads so that might be helpful for you & install security cameras as this deters guests misbehaving.