Guest extented stay for 10 hours and did not pay

Guest extented stay for 10 hours and did not pay

I have 2 questions:

1: One of my guest extented stay for 10 hours. Check out was 11:00 AM but he stayed till 8:00 PM. He agreed to pay me $150 but he did not pay and my request is still pending. What should I do.

2:In future what should I do? Just don't agree to extend.

8 Replies 8
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Muhammad36 in the future tell them they need to pay first. Come over if you have to and stand there until they do. And if they do not- call Airbnb so they can ask the guest to leave. In this case you can involve Airbnb and they do have some claws that allow you get paid some percentage of your nightly rate. It is in the terms. Letti knows about it if you want to reach out to her or she might chime in if she sees this

IN this scenario, they will write bad reviews  if I don't agree or force them for immidiate payment.

@Muhammad36   You can't let a guest extort you just because you fear they'll leave a bad review. If you write a review for the guest, you will have the option to respond to their review. "This bad review resulted from my requiring the guest to pay for the extra half day he requested to stay and agreed to pay for."

But my guest has gone. I will reach to resolution centre for this if they did not pay. Thank for you help.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Muhammad36, never agree to extend the stay unless the guest is willing to book an extra night beforehand through the Airbnb platform. He has taken you for a ride - he is under no obligation to pay your request for money. The only thing you can do now is take it up with Airbnb but because it is your word against his, Airbnb will most likely take the guest's side.

All communication took place via airbnb messenger. There is proof that he agreed. 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Muhammad36 I always try to think of someone else to blame. For example, I am so sorry, but my insurance will not be valid if I don’t have you as a paying guest.  I of course trust you, but need you to pay for insurance purposes right now. OR: I frequently get last minute bookings. Please take care of the payment so I can block the night on the platform and we can both be sure the place is reserved for you.

I always call Airbnb first. We pay them for their management services and I am EXTREMELY nice to them. They have never disagreed with me. Make sure you have all your facts straight. I would call in front of guest, preferably on speaker and let guest know call is being recorded. Present facts. Make sure you have it written in your house rules UP FRONT, the penalty for late check out and the exceptions, ie impassable roads due to ice, first I’ll and how long you will let them stay without penalty-I give them 1 hour. If they stay to the point where I cannot turn the space over and it impacts the next guest, then they are charged another day plus a penalty. Airbnb has always backed me up and THEY collect the funds.