Guest failed to mention advanced pregnancy and upcoming birth - whilst in our property

Answered!
Nicole327
Level 1
Kilmichael, Ireland

Guest failed to mention advanced pregnancy and upcoming birth - whilst in our property

Hi All,

This is my first time using this forum, but I'm rather desperate and need some advice... We are fairly experienced hosts but now face an unexpected challenge:

Yesterday, we were expecting a couple who are booked to stay with us for a month. We had no specific info from them as regarded the purpose of their stay but, based on positive reviews and normal booking-related conversation, had accepted them. On their arrival we were completely overwhelmed by the fact that the lady was 38 weeks pregnant and had chosen our property with the idea of being closer to the maternity hospital.

Not only are we not particularly close to the hospital, we are in no way prepared for any medical emergencies on that level, nor trained to aid in a potential home birth! I was gobsmacked to say the least that somebody would knowingly put us and, after all, themselves in such a situation. Of course we are always happy to help and are listed a family friendly but not in the sense that we feel comfortable taking on such a huge responsibility, without ever being asked in the first place. The guests came equipped with baby things and today even had a midwife visiting them in our listing. This indicates that, from their perspective, all is planned but without ever consulting us or asking our permission!

Now my question is how do I deal with the guests? This feels weirdly like an unrehearsed Nativity play in which I have, for obvious reasons, no interest in taking part. The guests have not given us any information or clues as to their background story (as in WHY would you want to do this?) since their arrival yesterday and seemed completely oblivious to any issue when I tried to talk to them today after the midwife's visit. 

Anybody got any ideas how to proceed? Thanks a million in advance, 

Nicole

1 Best Answer
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Apparently this discussion thread has morphed from the original issue of what a host should do when a guest is using the space without proper disclosure to guest rights.  Interesting.  @Marit-Anne0 has been very clear and @Kenneth12 has given us all an alternative perspective.  I am inspired by this discussion because it is at the heart of our shared home industry.  We are not hotels with inpersonal amenities.  We are very personal.  We may even be in the space.  Regardless, we are more  dependent on accurate specific information than the generic hotel/motel experience.  If guests cannot or do not want to participate in that process, hosts have the right to cancel.  These hosts do not have to be subjected to judgement, but should be supported as good hosts.  @Helen3@Monika64

@Marit-Anne0 seem to speak to this.  Thank you.

View Best Answer in original post

61 Replies 61
Theresa550
Level 2
San Diego, CA

The issue here is not really that someone wants to stay at your place either to give birth or to be closer to the hospital where they will give birth, it’s that as soon as the baby is born they will want to check out. If they are okay with paying for all the booked nights, then fine. But if they expect to be refunded for unused nights, then that’s the real issue. That is the situation I am in right now. Our guests were very open and honest about the reason for their stay and I was a little nervous but resolved to stay firm about our cancellation policy. Now they will be returning from the hospital in a couple of days and want to leave 2 nights early. I don’t know if they will ask to be refunded for those last 2 nights. I’m waiting to see what they ask, and we might be willing to refund those nights but I’m not sure how we would actually go about doing it.

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

Full moons, crescent moons, honey moons, baby moons, we got em covered! 

Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 9.39.04 AM.png