Guest fees

Terri129
Level 3
Plymouth, CA

Guest fees

Why should Airbnb charge more than the Hotel tax? Over 13% is charged to the guest above the fee charged the host. A pledge for a living wage to pay cleaners is absurd. We can’t afford to pay anything to a cleaner because guest fees are too high.

4 Replies 4
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Terri129  As I'm sure you know, most cities levy an occupancy tax to all short term accommodations including hotels, etc.  Guest usually understand this if they have ever stayed in a hotel.  I have elected to include the occupancy tax in my nightly rate just as a convenience to both me and the guest, but I do mention that in my listing description.  Would that work for  you as well?  Other sites have a way for it to show as another fee, like the cleaning fee, so the guest is informed, but the guest does not pay it with a separate transaction.

The guest Air BNB fee is a range (10-15%) depending on the location of the guest when booking.  Do you think it should be as low as the host fee or the host fee should be increased?  Not sure what is your suggestion here.  I charge a cleaning fee and there are many posts about doing that both pro and con.  It works to the advantage of the guest with longer stays and discourages single night stays.  

You missed the point.
Gary382
Level 3
Idyllwild-Pine Cove, CA

I think the fees should be 100% on the host.  No surprises for anyone, we then could set our rates to include the fee.  Tax should be a seperate line item but Air does not do that in my market so I have to collect it from the guest.  Booking.com charges host only, I just raise my rates to reflect the fee.

Gary

Daniel1992
Level 10
Downingtown, PA

It depends on the state.  STRs and Hotels are governed differently, under different laws.