Guest for a month not showing up

Mary-Jane17
Level 2
Bakersfield, CA

Guest for a month not showing up

I have a guest who booked for a month ( november ) arrived on first day and stayed for few minutes and left smiling.She checked the room and left but never come back …i messaged her 2 days after no response then messaged again after 2 days but never respond.I called her and left voice message but did not call back.I asked airbnb to contact her but unable to respons as well.Im waiting for airbnb support and still waiting for 24 hr time frame given to her to respond back.What should I do with this?Anyone has the same experience?Ive been superhost and never experience this the whole time…normally guest responds back.Some they dont but they had short stay..this one is a month long and she is on her 7th day…any answers would be greatly apprecaited..its stressing me…I just wanna know where she at or if she is ok…

24 Replies 24
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Mary-Jane17 

Please don’t take this the wrong way, but you really don’t have any right to demand an explanation from her, investigate her, or try to track her down.

She paid for a month but that doesn’t mean she has an obligation to stay there.

She hasn’t asked for a refund, which is somewhat strange, but if she didn’t leave any personal effects there I would assume that she just decided not to stay.

Or maybe her plans changed suddenly and she doesn’t think she’s due a refund, which she really isn’t.

All you can do is keep the room available, unless she formally checks out, in case she does come back:

There’s a possibility that she doesn’t want to be found and if you insist on prying into her personal affairs she might be justifiably unhappy about it.

@Brian2036 

Thank you Brian…

Your response is greatly appreciated…

I wanna hear more…

I am just curious about our responsibility as host in situation like this..

I live in the house with 3 rooms being rented in airbnb.I basically monitored everybody who comes in and  comes out…

message them every night asking for any concerns..we give them space so everything is tru messaging.

My host status is mostly appreciated for being responsive and showing concerns.

So this thing is very unusual to me..I knew every individual is different..she might be a person who does not want it and I get it…

A simple ..hey or ok - would be great  but none.

Do we really have to ignore this as a host?Is this the right thing to do?

Im just concerned…i wanna make sure she is ok..

I hope more people will be able to share their thoughts..

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Mary-Jane17  as @Brian2036  said - even if she cancels she will not be refunded and it could be a reason why she didn't cancel. She may be thinking- OK, I will not be refunded if I cancel so I will not cancel and will not give the host a chance to rebook it and earn double. 

You are not her mama, so why do you bother her? Let her go.

@ Branka-and- Silvia0

thank you..

You might be right…she probably thought that way..

She might be the person who does not accept unregistered calls.

I planning to msg her again and offer 50% refund if she cancels..and ill see if she ever take it.I basically wanting to give whatever she wants..I just wanna stop

worrying where she is…

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mary-Jane17  As a home share host myself, I get it. I only host solo travelers, one private room. I had a guest who checked in, got settled, then went off to town, saying she was meeting up with some friends for dinner. I went to bed at some point, and when I got up the next morning, realized she'd never come home that night. It's a 20 minute walk from my place into town. So while I sort of assumed she'd ended up staying with her friends, which turned out to be the case, I was concerned enough to text her asking if she was okay. She answered right away, saying yes, thanking me for the concern.

Another host once said here that a young male guest had gone out for the day and not come back for 3 days. Didn't answer his phone. She was really worried. He finally showed up,  just fine, said he'd gone hiking and exploring. When he realized that she'd been worried, he apologized. 

A lot of single people aren't used to telling anyone where they are going or when they plan to be back, and it doesn't occur to them that anyone would be worried, especially a host, who is essentially a stranger. After all, if they had booked a hotel rooom for a week, dumped their  bags off, went out and didn't show up again for 5 days, no one at the hotel would care. 

After that time my guest never came home all night, I started asking guests for an emergency contact number after they check in. I tell them I'm a bit of a worrier, and if they disappeared for days on end, had a bad accident, or got really ill, I figure they'd want someone close to them to know. And if they did disappear, like your guest, maybe when I called their contact, they'd say, "Oh, she does that all the time. Drives everyone crazy, so we just had to stop worrying about her. She'll show back up at some point. Good of you to care, but don't worry."

As far as her not answering her phone, unless you got ahold of her on that number before, a couple of times it turned out that the phone number I had for the guest wasn't correct- they had changed numbers at some point and never bothered to update their Airbnb info.

You've really done all you can. I'd relax about it. There's not much else you can do. You aren't responsible for when your guests decide to come and go. They're adults, and while bad things do happen to people, it isn't usually the case.  And you have let Airbnb know.

I'm a little surprised to hear you message your guests every night. That's a bit over the top. I figure if my guests need anything, they'll let me know. I might ask if they need any more toilet paper or a clean washcloth after they've been here a few days, but other than that, if they're the type of guests who are private and who I barely see,  I don't disturb them.

@Sarah977 

Hi thank you..i feel relieved..

You were  basically right..when you say about hotel thing..staff does not care if you ever come back or

not.There is really no difference staying in airbnb.

I just feel obligated because I stay in the same house..and I dont see her.

It might be over the top

how I treat my guests..i might need to slow down..we just never thought that way because this is why I am superhost..this is easy to change. 

What if she wont come back and check out?key is with her…i meant, ill buy a new lock and change it..this is not a problem.How about her…?just consider like she check in and checks out..and go on?

@Mary-Jane17  Yes, like I said, I do worry about a guest disappearing. I'm a mom who raised three daughters, so it's hard not to be concerned about a single gal who just disappears with any explanation, even if she is a stranger to me. She's staying at my house, or at least her bags, passport, etc. are here. 

When I texted that guest to make sure she was okay, and I apologized for my "mom  brain" she said, no, she really appreciated it. 

The type of people who like to home share, for more than just the money aspect, are probably in many cases more concerned about a stranger who happens to be our guest than most people would be. Entire home hosts have no idea if their guests are home or not, or if they even slept there at all. Their main concern is that the guest checks out on time, so they can turn the place over for the next guests.

If I had a couple staying, I wouldn't worry about them at all, I think. But if it's a single woman, it's different. 

I guess if your guest never shows back up, you'll have to address that situation at the time. But chances are she will come back at some point before her booking is over, so try to relax in the meantime. 

Hey maybe she's a smuggler and just needed someplace to stash the contraband.  Maybe her bags are full of wads of thousand dollar bills or elephant tusks. 🙂  I'll be curious to know how this story plays out.

BTW, I doubt you made Superhost because you message your guests every night. It's because you created a nice, welcoming place for them to stay, and are a nice, warm person who they feel comfortable with. 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Mary-Jane17 @Sarah977 

I got the impression that she didn’t stash ANYTHING in the room.

If she did I would be more worried. 

If the luggage is making ticking noises or leaking smelly fluids I would be REALLY worried and thinking up excuses to violate her privacy. 

@Brian2036 

Sorry I did not really get this part..

If you are asking about bags or anything that belongs to her..

She never bring anything to room…she checks the room on doorstep and left in 5-10 minutes..we thought she will unload her car but never come back that day..so her bed is intact and left her room open as well..this is why we know she did not come back and verified on our camera as well.Room looks exacly the same when we cleaned it.

@Brian2036 

Bed prepared exactly untouched

Ribboned rolled bath towels on top of the bed still..snack on the table ..every corner has no signs of being touched.Open room door …but she has our keys.

@Mary-Jane17  Ah, so she left nothing. Well, pretty strange, but impossible to know. I wonder why she even showed up for the 5 minutes. Just to get access to the key? Hmm. That's a bit worrisome. 

You know what I'd do at this point? I'd get an electronic lock, give the code to your other guests, and forget the keys. Then message the guest, tell her you had to change the entry system, and to message you if she plans on coming back. In other words, don't let her be able to get back in with the key. It's not really kosher, as she still has an active reservation, but you can just say the lock broke and you had to change it if she makes contact. 

@Sarah977 

Sorry for not elaborating because I kept saying ‘key’…

my front door lock is a smart door lock…hard to open, very confusing if no one ever bother to review the check in details.
Guest room is a regular key..

Never I thought shell come back with bad plans..i dont think

personally this is one of those..but who knows..

My house are full of camera..it is in my listing and I use smart locks too..

Just very strange…this is why i think a lot of things…

@Sarah977 

Its basically true…

I am more like you…just no children…this is me as a person…almost paranoid..I am probably thinking too much..

I could be more worried if she left bag or anything belongs to her in my house and did not come home.The only thing is she has our key..which I dont worry too much because this can be easily changed.

I really hope  she comes back before check out or at least return our key.

thanks so much!

@Mary-Jane17 @Sarah977 

I didn’t think about the key.

That does put a different spin on things.

If she doesn’t return it you really do have to change the locks.

I don’t put much faith in locks, but when all your guests are supposed to be in for the night, I wonder if you should have a way to lock the doors from the inside.

Late arrivals would have to knock and be scolded for waking everyone.