Guest from Hell

Daniel350
Level 1
Topanga, CA

Guest from Hell

Hello community:

Well, it was bound to happen eventually: We had the guest from hell. The spawn of satan.  We rent a detached guest house on our property, and always try to give our guests privacy. So in this case, we weren't aware of what was going on. But after he checked out, it was like a bomb had gone off... urine stains on the mattress, urine all over the floor of the bathroom, torn curtains, half-empty wine bottles hidden in the closet and - get this - boogers wiped all over the side of the bed frame.  Yes, you read that right.  It was the most disturbing experience we have had in 2 years of hosting hundreds of people from all over the world.   Any suggestions for what we can do (besides leaving a scathing review, which we of course plan to do). Can you file a formal complaint about guests?

Thanks

Dan & Gina

8 Replies 8
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

1.flag profile with BNB

2.claim through the resolution centre

3. Always visit your guests during their stay

4. Always chat to guests before accepting a booking 

5. Review your house rules 

by the way compared to some hosts you have got off lightly 

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Yikes!  No advice besides the above.  How terrible, though!

Christian65
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

That just sounds utterly disgusting and i’m so sorry you had to experience that. People can be awful @Daniel350. We've all had them at one point.

I can see you have a security deposit and I would file a claim immediately at the resolution center for the stained mattress that seems ruined.
And take photos of everything and attach that to the claim so ABB can see that they need to let you get money from the guests or at least withdraw your costs from the deposit.
If you need to book extra cleaning I would consider claiming that as well.

And yes, definitely leave a honest review of these what seems to be awful guests. 
Penny38
Level 2
Las Vegas, NV

We have had a guest pass a key to a crack head that trashed our apartment and Airbnb haven't even emailed us for help. I begged for Airbnb to send a locksmith and they wouldn't even do that. They told me to leave my property because it was to dangerous and that was it and this was two months ago. We have stopped any further Airbnb arrangements. 

Andy93
Level 1
Fresno, CA

Hi, read your review, anyhow what was the person name so we all know ? If  his name is on profile it will let all viewers know!!

Roz4
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

This raises some questions for me as a new host.

I don't have a security deposit set, I thought it would put people off and it's such a small space I thought I could weather the costs of any small things that go wrong, but perhaps I'm naive!! So how do they work exactly? Does it out people off??

Im also wondering if (with these guests) making more rules is worth it? Or does it just help in cases where you need to apply for $ back and you need to point to the rule they broke?

I don't think the security deposit puts people off.  I've found it useful twice -- one guest broke a teapot and I got reimbursed, and another ruined a toaster and I got reimbursed.  I was really happy that it worked so easily.

Hi @Roz4

I've seen a lot of people being afraid and putting off guests with a deposit but what I've learned from this community is that it really doesn't.

I've had a deposit for over a year now and I would say I even received more requests compared to before so I would always recommend people having such a deposit. Especially when the ABB insurrance isn't that uhmmmm host friendly.