Guest gave inaccurate private feedback to ABB

Guest gave inaccurate private feedback to ABB

Hey Guys,
We could really use some feedback from the community as ABB has notified us of our guest’s private feedback to them…which is Completely inaccurate! It's almost like he was looking for something negative to say behind our backs, although I don't know why as we thought we had a great experience. I don't think he realized that ABB would notify us. I’m unsure how to proceed and could really use some advice as we are very new at hosting and have only just encountered this situation and are very protective of our reputation. Note: we have 2 bedrooms listed in our private home and have never had less than 5 star ratings.

Conversation Key: ABB is underlined. Guest is italicized. (I am in parentheses)

(His public feedback): I highly recommend this place provided you want to relax and decompress. These are the best host I have ever met. Let me put it in this way -- even I can't be a host like them. The only thing to keep in mind is their house is around 10 miles from heart of the city. A perfect location to relax. Another thing to note is in evening there are no street lights so you must have a car or capability to uber otherwise you won't be able to walk to even closest restaurant. I am sure they would not mind to accommodate you but if you are like me who doesn't like to be burden on people make sure you have a car. Next time I plan my trip to Reno I am going to make sure they have a vacancy for me. Thanks.

(To clarify, our neighborhood is Well Lit! It’s the highway down the road that is not.)

And his private feedback: “Thanks very much. I enjoyed my stay with you guys.”

(While his overall public rating is 5 Star, his private ratings to ABB are as follows):

ABB: Private feedback

This is just for you. It won’t appear on your listing or profile.

Private Feedback
Thanks very much. I enjoyed my stay with you guys.

Accuracy feedback: (He gave us 4 STARS)
Your guest mentioned some issues that weren’t accurately reflected in your listing description: amenities. Additional comments: “They said there will be light breakfast and snacks. Which wasn't there.”.

(His ABB message communication to us prior to staying copied here): “I am vegetarian so you don't have to worry about my food/breakfast etc. If I can store something in your fridge it would be great so I don't have to go out everyday.”

(We provide bagels and muffins as well as coffee and tea 100% of the time every morning. He refused this offer. Note: Nowhere in our listing does it say we provide snacks.)

Location feedback: (He gave us 4 STARS)
“This place is little away from Reno city. It was great for me to read and relax but if you like to party its not ideal. ”

(His ABB Message communication to us copied here): “Hello Sir and Madam, am planning a reading vacation where I just want to relax and read in nature and if weather is not nice then in house. Would I be able to close my room and read? To avoid your pets? I am planning to read 5 books in 4 days so I might be having different schedule like read till 4 am and get up at 11 am.”

(Our listing Clearly states: “While our home is in the Reno city limits we are on the outskirts of town in the Golden Valley area with easy access to the freeway.  You cannot walk to the downtown area and will need a car or other transportation (Taxi/Uber). We are very conveniently located off US 395 North.  Our home is 10 miles from the Reno-Tahoe Airport (Mapquest says 12 minutes), 9 miles to downtown Reno (13 minutes) and 9 miles to downtown Sparks (12 minutes).”

And again it’s mentioned: “We are located in Golden Valley, approximately 10 miles (Or less) from the Reno/Tahoe airport, and downtown Reno and Sparks areas.  We do not have a bus line nearby so you will need a car or other transportation.“)

(Also, our guest Did have a car with which to get around.)

Value: (He gave us 4 STARS!)

(Privately he told us we were at the PERFECT price and wants to book in the near future!

Our prices are much less than most of the other listings in our area simply Because we are on the outskirts of town. He also has asked if he can stay with us again due to his financial undertakings in our area and wants to pre-book and block out as many days as he wishes. If our Value is less than 5 Stars why in the world would he wish to book with us again?!)

(Check in, Cleanliness and Communication were a 5 Stars)

___________________________________________________________________________________________

And finally, this man informed us that he is a man of great stature and financial means. He was looking at million dollar properties in our area of which we spent 8 hours driving him through 4 counties looking for investment property. My husband even took a day off in order to assist him. We also hooked him up with 3 realtor friends of ours who dropped everything at his insistance to meet with him immediately. We went Over and Above for him as we do for all our guests, and yet he privately messaged ABB different ratings than he gave publically; as if ABB wouldn’t notify us. I feel as if we have been slapped in the face and our generosity has been disrespected.

In conclusion, we are very new to hosting as we started on Sept 1, 2017. Within a couple of weeks we met the Super Host requirements and have never had less than 5 Stars. Yes, I’m offended and butthurt! This is our first downgrade rating and it feels ugly.  I do realize that giving us 4 stars won’t do anything to our overall rating and Super Host status (soon to be declared) but my issue is that while he publically posted one thing he went behind our backs to ABB and said something completely different. We were expecting him to stay with us again as my husband is acting as his liaison with the realtors. But this back door message has me pretty miffed and I don't know if I want him back!

So…

-Do we confront him on this in an ABB private message? If so...suggestions?

-Do we respond publically where ABB gives us the option to respond? Probably not the best option.

-Do we contact ABB privately with this information to provide accuracy for maintain our stellar reputation?

I can’t see ingoring this and letting it just go by the wayside as we are continuing contact with him in a business sense and he plans to stay with us again. He has damaged his own reputation with us at this point and may have damaged future bookings with us.

I could really use the Community’s feedback on this. TIA!

Trina~

48 Replies 48
Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

Hello @Paul-and-Trina0  don't worry too much, after a while you will go through all this like robots on a routine. 

Thanks for your input @Lilian20

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Paul-and-Trina0. If I were you I would try to quickly accept that some guests have mental problems. Sorry, but this is the correct name of things.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

I'm beginning to suspect the mental issue as well. Thanks for your input @Marzena4!

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Paul-and-Trina0 I am sorry to hear that you met a hypocrite but such things happens especially when you are dealing with complete strangers. Just bare in mind that you will not always get 5stars from all guests and prepare yourself for this. Also I would advice you not to become too close to your guests always keep a certain distance, after all guests are just not your friend. You can still host him in the future but keep a certain distance from such characters. Good luck and happy hosting!!! 

Hypocrate INDEED! I appreciate your input @Oomesh-Kumarsingh0

@Paul-and-Trina0 I am glad to hear that! 🙂

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Paul-and-Trina0 absolutely do not reply to his review!!! nothing wrong with it and future guests have no idea about the other things he said, so you should not bring it to light for them.

Also, the overall public rating is the only thing that is involved in computing super host, the rest remains in the fine print, but is fairly innocuous. Also, I feel very confident that NO ONE at ABB is paying the least bit of attention to those notes he wrote. I would venture to guess that about 90% of all listing inaccuracy review marks are actually related to a guest's reading comprehension abilities!

I would certainly not host again this type of reviewer. Not worth the argument. And why in the world would you go around driving a guest all over town?? Unless you also drive for Uber and are getting paid. I would not blur those lines in my hosting.

I appreciate your input @Kelly149. It was actually ABB who notified us that his complaint was contrary to what our listing states as well as contridictory to his public rating, so they actually read it. Our reputation with ABB is primary and feel it's important to at least respond to them with a short and respectful reply. But I certainly agree that this person's comprehension levels are most likely lacking to some degree! lol! Thank you again for your reply. 🙂

@Paul-and-Trina0 Yes, you got an email from abb. But it was from a robot. No one reads what your guest wrote & that was an auto-generated email. 

At least that has been my experience, yours could differ. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Paul-and-Trina0  It seems that you are lovely, trusting people and as other hosts have mentioned, you might need to curb your natural friendliness and become a bit more separate from the guests.  Another of your postings reflect that you allowed a single male guest to have a lady friend hang out with him as it seemed a reasonable request.  Then you were surprised that the hang out was intimate and broke the rules of your home be having the unregistered guest use the place.

I certainly feel the tug to feel that I am hosting friends in my home, especially if they are interesting and friendly people.  Respecting boundaries in a shared housing situation is very important.

As others have said, just use this experience as a learning experience.  You can block him from booking if you want or you can let him come and test your professionalism a bit.  Good luck

I appreciate your input @Linda108 🙂

Yikes!

I just started to host and I came on this link to read experiences from other hosts. Paul & Trina sound like wonderful people and great hosts. I had my first guest last weekend and I think everything went well ( I hope) ... Now I am a little worried of what to expect?

Lisa658
Level 10
Hervey Bay, Australia

@Paul-and-Trina0

I would not host this guest again in a shared listing.  He has no appreciation for your kindness and will expect the same or better treatment on the next visit.  Personally, I would not be able to stomach this and would find it difficult to drive him around without resentment.  It also puts you in the position of interacting with him and pretending everything is fine and this would not be okay with me.  Not to mention wondering the whole visit what he is going to nit pik about this time.  

Some hosts may call me unprofessional and that's okay.  For me this is not what the hosting experience is about.  I would rather have the listing empty.  He has his own view of things and in my experience, these types of people are not even worth wasting your breath trying to reconcile with.  I would recommend you use the search bar to find out how to block this guest from contacting you unless you have a stronger constitution for nonsense than me!  It comes down to your comfort level in your own home.

Lisa