Guest had a minor issue but didn't mention it at check-out? Shower curtain rod fell down, Next step?

Daniela-and-Mark0
Level 2
Prince Edward, Canada

Guest had a minor issue but didn't mention it at check-out? Shower curtain rod fell down, Next step?

We host separate rooms in our home, this is our first season with about 16 bookings all 5 star ratings so far. Until today we've never had any issues. However this morning a couple checked out and my wife found the shower curtain rod down in the bathtub and they never mentioned anything to us when they checked out after breakfast. I'm curious what happened, nothing was really broken, but the curtain rod had been dislodged somehow.

I'll give this guest booking a bit more background. My wife mentioned several times from the start at check-in that the guy was overly-critical and acted arrogant, he's only had 1 review on ABB. He spoke of another B&B in the area that he usually prefers to stay at with an award winning breakfast. His wife was absolutely wonderful.

Overall this stuff is minor but I wouldn't want this to affect our 5 star rating and potential to qualify as Superhosts. If he mentions something about it at all in his review or if he even gives one.

What should I do next? Should I even give a review, as I'm missing context of what happened? Or just skip the review?

10 Replies 10
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Daniela-and-Mark0  I would review him and give a 3 * on communication for not mentioning it to you. 

Thanks Letti. Why 3*? Is it the severity of the issue? Why not 4*?

@Letti0 wrote:

@Daniela-and-Mark0  I would review him and give a 3 * on communication for not mentioning it to you. 

Wow. That seems really harsh for something as minor as not mentioning something that they know you will discover as soon as you go to clean the rooms. Some people don't like confrontation. Or maybe they were embarassed. Or maybe they were angry. 

My standards for guest behavior must be lower than yours.

@Susan151  I would give a 5* in the other two categories, so it would be equal to a 4.33% overall review. The reason is his lack of communication and owning up to it. Did he even try to put it back up? What if it could not have been fixed easily and you had new guests arriving that day and didn't need to start cleaning until right before the new guests arrived and it could not be fix easily. He'll know why he got 4*'s for overall as I would put in the private message on the review: Please in the future let the host know if there was a mishap, so they can address it immediately. Hopefully this would prevent this type of behavior from him in the future to other hosts. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Your review of this guest will not affect his review/rating of you, and your curiosity should not be a factor in your review. If there was no actual damage, your only real complaint seems to be that your wife did not enjoy the man's company. Why wouldn't you review? 

Thanks Lisa. I guess I was just wondering if I should follow-up with him on this minor matter in separate message separately and calm the waters before reviewing him? Should I take responsibility or say sorry? What do you think is the reason someone wouldn't mention it.

Andreas-and-Anna0
Level 10
West Vancouver, Canada

Why wouldn’t you review? A 4 star is what I would give at the least. Nothing happened and you could probably leave an ABB message asking out of curiosity what happened. 

Valerie192
Level 10
Inglewood, CA

Maybe this is a different rod from what I have, but in my case on occasion (maybe 1-2x/year) mine gets loosened just from general use and can fall down without anyone even being around. It's such a minor thing I wouldn't think to ding someone for it. Unless you are 100% sure they were there to see it fall down and just left it not sure that you can justify taking off a star. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Shower curtain rods fall occasionally, especially the spring types. Not even worth giving it a nano-second of thought or importance. Honestly, if I took issue with my guest's micro arrogance or manner, I wouldn't have anything nice to say about most guests, glad they also don't take the same microview of me. 😉

If they review, you review, if not perhaps best to skip this one.

Good luck.

Patrick568
Level 10
California, United States

Very well stated. These minor issues that people blow up are just silly.