Guest has medical emergency

Jayne4
Level 1
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

Guest has medical emergency

My friend rented to an elderly guest who had a stroke while in residence at her apartment in Mexico. She arranged for doctors, an ambulance, and the patient was transferred to a hospital one hour from the rental. The treating physician called my friend for medical permissions even thugh she was not related to the patient. Also, the patient was refusing treatment and telephoned my friend for transportation back to the apartment.The doctor stated that the patient was disoriented and combative, but they could not continue to treat him without permission even though the situation was " life threatening."

My friend then entered her rental, and found an address book with the numbers of the patient's contacts.The " girlfriend" was contacted, and stated that she would fly to Mexico to intervene. The "girlfriend" planned to stay at the rental. My friend has had to deal with the patient, the girlfriend, the American consulate and the physician.I would assume that she will spend many more hours resolving the situation.

I am asking what are the hosts' and Air B&B's responsibilities in this situation? This has been a nightmare. It has taught me to at least verify that the guest has an emergency number and that their insurance covers them in case of a medical issue while out of their country of residence. Mexico does not accept Medicare, and one can not leave the hospital until payment is made....even if the patient is deceased.

6 Replies 6
Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@Jayne4, I can't help with an answer, but just want to say you raise a very important question.

Only yesterday I was wondering to myself what would I - as a host - do in a situation where a guest took seriously ill and  actually died on my premises. 

I'm sure this has happened to at least one host somewhere in the world over the past several years. 

I wonder whether AirBnB has any kind of Emergency Plan for this type of occurrence, in which they would be a first - or a least a major - port of call to help the host navigate the situation.

I hope people will respond here with answers.

Hi @Donna15 & @Jayne4

All good points made here...

I may and may not do the same, and go on the guest belongings looking for contacts... Will depend on the extent of the situation but most likely no....

But Airbnb ALREADY has an emergency plan... Is up to everyone (even you and me) to fill the ENTIRE profile including your emergency contact information...
On your safety card you are supposed to have the emergency number for medical, fire and police issues... (along some other things)..

So if everybody have all the correct information listed, going over situations like this will likely be a breeze...

Luis

Afor0
Level 1
Wheat Ridge, CO

I just approved a guest who has Epilepsy and my immediate thought/concern was "what if he has a seizure while at my house?" 

Does Airbnb really provide no information on how to handle medical emergencies?

What is our liability?

Andrea1132
Level 2
Asunción, Paraguay

There is no protection for hosts and I just wrote a short piece in Spanish, suggesting that a travel insurance is made mandatory for all the guests. Or at least, a release from any liability. 

For humanitarian reasons I feel obliged to help someone staying at my home/property, but on the other hand who will help me?

Andrea1132
Level 2
Asunción, Paraguay

One more thing that I learned recently. When you buy a plane ticket by a major credit card, you are automatically covered by an emergency insurance up to three months after you travel.

I happened to learn this by chance, when my son had an emergency abroad.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

When guests arrive, I now ask them for emergency contact information. Yes, Airbnb has a place for guests to fill this out, but from asking my guests, few of them had done that. Plus, if it were serious- a bad accident or other medical emergency, I should think that time would be of the essence- if I could phone a friend or relative without having to either rummage through a guest's belongings looking for that info, or call Airbnb and then wait for them to contact the guest's emergency number, which who knows how long that would take, I should think that would be preferable both to the guest and their family.

And even if a guest has registered emergency contact on their Airbnb account, many guests who have had accounts for quite awhile often fail to update their info when they move, or phone numbers change, etc.