Guest has not checked in

Paul75
Level 2
Reading, United Kingdom

Guest has not checked in

So my current guest is supposed to check in today however he did not check in.

English is not his first language however from the comms in AirBNB I assume he was checking in today.

When I phoned him he said no I am checking in tomorrow and that confused me.  He only has 1 AirBNB review so i suspect he does not know how AirBNB works.

However, I suspect he either knows what he is doing or has made a mistake.  However, he seems very selective over what messages he is responding to over the AirBNB app.  Ultimately I am getting paid an extra night but it's the poor communication which is stress I don't need and I suspect it could be the sign of thigns to come i'm tempted to phone airbnb and ask them to cancel the booking.  Previosly he read that I had a late checkin fine of £25 I said it was ok as long as he is not too late but a date late is a bit much!

7 Replies 7
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I am also tuned into how a guest communicates, so if this guest is making you uncomfortable with the communication, perhaps you can call Air BNB and ask for assistance with this reservation.  If it is a language issue, perhaps the Air BNB staff can help.  

Paul75
Level 2
Reading, United Kingdom

Agreed will try tomorrow I could not get thru to them after two attempts very strange.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Paul75 why would you cancel him? People have different style of communication, we can not have perfect guests only. I wish we could of course. Perhaps he is arriving really early and instead of demanding early check in, just booked an extra night. 

Paul75
Level 2
Reading, United Kingdom

@Inna22He obviously knows very well that he had no intention of checking in yesterday.  It is this kind of person who will go onto break my house rules then think they done nothing wrong and then leave me a negative review which will put my listing into a "Your listing needs attention" state, therefore, removing it from the Search results and losing me revenue.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Paul75 If he's paid for the first night he wasn't there, then you're quids in! So I wouldn't stress too much! (So long as he doesn't want a free or extra night at the end instead!)

- I do understand tho' that it's worrying when guests don't communicate their intentions as we'd like, I've been there! I too am greatly reassured when a guest tells me exactly when they will arrive, & sticks to it. But like Inna22 said, we don't all think the same!

I get headaches with guests who are night workers, checking in at 8am after a shift at the hospital. The good ones ask beforehand if that's OK, the not so good ones just tell me! And some night workers book the wrong date; for me, night workers need to book the night BEFORE 8am arrival, but many book the evening after, wrongly. Usually the ones who fail to ask & negotiate appropriately  are new to Airbnb & don't understand how private homes differ from hotels. 

When I get a guest who arrives having done everything wrong at the communication stage, I often engineer an informal, casual chat, asking them if they understand the difference between Airbnb & other types of accommodation. - NOT a confrontational telling off, not a reading of the riot act, but a "Did-you-know-it-all started-with-3-airbeds-in-someone's-living-room?" chat.. (Hopefully they then see our modest offerings are luxury in comparison!) - I also then say that home share is not a 'normal' British B&B, it's more like being a short-term lodger, or visiting family, it's not serviced, & clearing up after yourself is the norm. - I've hoped to avert many a negative review this way!

I read your reviews Paul, most of which are excellent. I'm sorry you got about 4 stinkers from people who clearly had unrealistic expectations of home share, & of whom that grand airbnb review phrase "better suited to a hotel" applies! We all get those once in a while! As time has gone on, I've added more & more disclaimers to my listing description, that my place is 'lived in', to ward off the fussy!

Be encouraged, you're doing great!

Paul75
Level 2
Reading, United Kingdom

Thanks for your reply I am revealed that I am not the only one with these types of customers. I think you are right I can learn be bit less blunt and use some of the lines you have given!  I will updating my listing in particular the photo descriptions to state they may not look as perfect as I am living in the house! 

Paul75
Level 2
Reading, United Kingdom

He has since apologized for not checking in on the correct day and improved his communication so I have not canceled it.