Guest has not checked out, place locked up, won't respond to calls, new Guests arriving today.

Darren18
Level 2
Gold Coast, Australia

Guest has not checked out, place locked up, won't respond to calls, new Guests arriving today.

My current guests were due to check out by 10am today. Now 1:30pm. They have locked the place up, taken the keys and won't respond to phone calls, texts or messages. Our new guests from overseas will arrive in 30 minutes to 1 hour.

12 Replies 12
Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Darren18 Surely you have spare keys? Regardless, you need to call Airbnb immediately and explain the situation to them. They will be able to advise you and also in case the next guests are delayed getting in you need to involve Airbnb.

Hi, Yes, we have spare keys. I read on another page that it's classed as breaking and entering if anyone goes inside. Our property is in the Philippines and is managed for us. I have not been able to find a contact for Airbnb except Twitter, which I don't have.

Although I not a lawyer or familiar with philipine law, it is not breaking and entering.

After checkout, the guests are trespassers. You can enter, clear out their stuff and store it safely. Take pictures so they can't set you up for damages or theft.

Darren18
Level 2
Gold Coast, Australia

Thanks, I have told my caretaker to remove all goods and store them in her place next door. She is currently making the place over. Still no response from guests, they are 4 hours late already.

Martin-and-Ingrid0
Level 4
Oeiras, Portugal

Hi darren, I am curious. What happened after you removed everything? Did the "old" guest understand?

Kind regards,

Ingrid

Adeshola0
Level 2
Gauteng, South Africa

Hi Darren, I am in Johannesburg and just experienced similar. My guest checked out of the flat, took the keys of the guest suite and gate remote with him and has refused to return these items even though he stays in the same city. His motivation for requesting to stay at our place was that he was in-between apartments and needed a place to stay for a few days. Now, he is not responding to my messages, etc. Can you make any suggestions to assist us? Fortunately, I had to go cut keys to the flat and purchase a new gate remote so our new guests checking in at 14h00 would not be stranded. Thank you.

@Adeshola0this is shocking. I really hope all is ok at your place.  So many criminals in Joburg. Please keep us updated

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You will need to change the locks and charge him for the costs of doing so, it is a security risk for you.

Make a claim through the Aibnb resolution centre before your next guest arrives .

MicheleandLouw0
Level 10
Maun, Botswana

@Darren18what a nightmare. What was the outcome of this?   Did the gusts return to collect their luggage and give back your keys?

Adeshola0
Level 2
Gauteng, South Africa

Hi Michele & Louw, I called the Airbnb South Africa contact number. The lady who responded to my call advised that I go to the Airbnb Resolution Centre, and demand that the guest repay for the items taken. In my demand, I must provide evidence of the replacement items (pictures and receipts). If the guest declines to refund the items after 72 hours, I can excalate my complaint, via the Resolution Centre, to Airbnb who will then have the final say. 

@Adeshola0at least there is hope. Did you get any explanation from the guest as to why this happened?

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Is their stuff still in the house? Maybe (as far as you know) they checked out but simply forgot to leave the keys. Give yourself the benefit of the doubt. Go in there, gather up their stuff as if they "forgot" it and leave it outside. Change the locks and get ready for your next guests!  I hope the laws in Australia aren't as bad as they are here in California, USA where you have to go to court to get someone to leave. Ridiculous. A squatter would be my worst nightmare.

At $20 per night THIS is not helping to discourage the lowest forms of humans out there. A higher price helps to weed out squatters.