Guest having sex in host room

Paris28
Level 2
New York, United States

Guest having sex in host room

I let a room, not an entire apartment. I am very new to hosting and dont know all of the rules. I informed the guests that they are using my personal room. On top of that me and my 7 year old daughter were present in the home. They decided to have sex in my room. I feel very disrespected and violated. In addition i feel i should be compensated for the linens that i now have to throw away. Please advise on what i should do because i definitely didnt sign up for this.

42 Replies 42
Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

I guess you could add 'No sex' to your house rules. You say you have a child - was this an immaculate conception?!

Paris28
Level 2
New York, United States

I really dont need the sarcasm. I just asked for advice. I have a 7 year old, if air bnb isnt for people with kids in their home then they should say so. 

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hello@Paris

Yes It may appear disrespectful, but unfortunately people on holiday do get jiggy jiggy on holiday, and with the match of the entitled guest treating ones home like a hotel, this behaviour is commonplace.

Particularly with a 7 year old daughter in your home, perhaps you should re evaluate whether being an air bnb host is for you.

I as a parent would not be doing air bnb with a youngster in my home.

@Paris28, with all due respect, it is up to you to know whether sharing your space with a child present is the right thing for you personally. Time to take some responsibility. 

Jackie148
Level 7
Edens Landing, Australia

Grow up

Jackie148
Level 7
Edens Landing, Australia

How disrespectful knowing you and your child are there i would contact a bnb if they are still there and ask them to remove them as your very uncomfortable with them in your home.

Paris28
Level 2
New York, United States

They are gone now, i want to try and set up my listing so something like this doesn't happen again. Because the guest room wont be mines for long, it will be my daughter's, and if that occurs, im getting violent.

@Paris28   I really don't understand what you are renting. You want to rent out your private bedroom, or then turn it into your daughter's private bedroom, but then rent it out to guests so you can make some needed cash while you and your daughter sleep elsewhere? And you are planning to get violent if guests don't comply with you wanting to control their private behavior? With all due respect, I don't think you understand what this business entails.

Deirdre2
Level 10
Louisville, KY

Why would the linens need to be replaced rather than just washed? 

A couple in a private bedroom is quite likely to have sex!   Just as they might in a hotel or their own home.  If they were disruptively loud, you should knock on the door and tell them to quiet down.  The idea that you can control what people do  in a bedroom with the door closed   is bizarre.   

The suggestion that you call Airbnb seems strange--and say what?  "A couple had sex in the bedroom they were renting!"

I agree with @Deirdre2 on this one.

Couples are most likely going to want to perhaps be intimate on a vacation and while I personally would try to keep the noise level down, I don't feel that is a violation in any way. If they were loud, you should have knocked and asked them to keep it down, but otherwise, I just don't see the issue.

Sometimes, we don't like what guests do, but we can use these moments to tweak our rules and learn from them to become better hosts. This isn't something I would get AirBnb involved in.

Paris28
Level 2
New York, United States

Because my daughter doesnt want to sit on my bed anymore and i dont blame her. 

Paris28
Level 2
New York, United States

Because my daughter doesnt want to sit on my bed anymore. Look, Yall dont have to respond, if you dont have small kids you dont know where im coming from so dont answer.

Do 7 year olds even know what sex is?!

Rent your space out only to single guests. Your home and personal comfort levels shouldn't be compromised, but at the same time, the reality is that couples have sex. If they are noisey and it disturbs you two, then you must put an end to it. We are renting out spaces with house rules and considerations that are different to hotels-let them know that your home is one with specific expectations. Be VERY transparent with your rules.