Guest having sex in host room

Paris28
Level 2
New York, United States

Guest having sex in host room

I let a room, not an entire apartment. I am very new to hosting and dont know all of the rules. I informed the guests that they are using my personal room. On top of that me and my 7 year old daughter were present in the home. They decided to have sex in my room. I feel very disrespected and violated. In addition i feel i should be compensated for the linens that i now have to throw away. Please advise on what i should do because i definitely didnt sign up for this.

42 Replies 42
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

>>Please advise on what i should do because i definitely didnt sign up for this<<

Click the de-list button, wrap yourself up in cotton wool, and put it down to (a real life) experience. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Paris28   Yes, you did sign up for this. If you choose to use your personal bedroom as an Airbnb rental for guests, it is no longer your personal space when you have guests. Guests have the right to do whatever people do privately behind closed doors. And if you think that bedding needs to be discarded because someone has had sex in the bed, then being a host is not for you. 

Paris28
Level 2
New York, United States

I dont need the trolls giving generic answers. You obviously dont have small kids. That $#!+ is disrespectful to my daughter!!!

Jackie148
Level 7
Edens Landing, Australia

If i was booking a room in someone's home and upon arrival there was two bedrooms with a mother and daughter sleeping in one room and us in another I would have respect to refrain from this activity it's called morals some of you people on here are out of line with your comments to this mum and her child why would you say she shouldn't host and once there guests they can do what they want I bet you lot would complain if somthing upset you. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jackie148 

If @Paris28 wishes to continue hosting, the common-sense approach would be for her to accept solo guests only. This will prevent these saucy
 Adam and Eve types who partake in the sordid 'activity' you allude to.

Jackie148
Level 7
Edens Landing, Australia

Good advice Gordon but please let's remember she is new to this and she will learn but sometimes people don't actually read what a person says she is uncomfortable with what has happened and rightly so it's been stated many times if your uncomfortable with a situation you can ask people to leave what she is uncomfortable with can be different to what you and I find uncomfortable 

Vanessa-and-Kurt0
Level 10
Farmington, CT

When people pay for your space, it becomes their space.  People have sex on vacations.

Your choices are to:

Rent to 1 person

Get used to it

Delist

Ava30
Level 10
Eureka, CA

Hi Paris: Could you please clarify? Did the guest have sex in YOUR personal room or the room you have set up for guests? If they were in your room, not the room they rented, then yes that is a violation. However, if they were in the room you rent, it is not. It IS something you definitly signed up for, as other hosts have stated here. People on vacation have sex, we wash the linens after every guest, and I even use a wonderful new product from Lysol, laundry sanitizer, as well. If the fact that some couples are going to be intimate is going to make you uncomfortable, you have a couple of choices - change your listing to ONE person accomodation only OR Stop hosting. I looked at your listing, it is gorgeous. The two reviews you have are excellent. You seem to make your guests happy. Good Luck!

Paris28
Level 2
New York, United States

Most of you people on here are disgusting!!!! I definitely didnt sign up for my 7 year old to listen to other people have sex.

@Paris28  No one here is suggesting for a moment that it's in any way okay for your 7 year old daughter to have to hear the sounds of people having sex. We are just trying to explain the realities of what you will encounter when hosting. Even if you decide to rent to single guests only, that doesn't mean that some young guest might not carry on an audible phone conversation with her friend, talking about some guy she hooked up with, complete with details, oblivious to the fact that it would be inappropriate for your daughter to overhear. 

I raised 3 daughters, have 4 granddaughters. Airbnb didn't exist when my girls were young, but if it had, knowing what I know now about all the situations you can run into with guests, I would never have hosted in my home. It would have been really stressful and I think it would have made my daughters uncomfortable to have a constant parade of strangers trooping through, whether the guests behaved themselves appropriately or not. 

Thanks for the Lysol detergent tip!!!

@Ava30 wrote:

Hi Paris: Could you please clarify? Did the guest have sex in YOUR personal room or the room you have set up for guests? If they were in your room, not the room they rented, then yes that is a violation. However, if they were in the room you rent, it is not. It IS something you definitly signed up for, as other hosts have stated here. People on vacation have sex, we wash the linens after every guest, and I even use a wonderful new product from Lysol, laundry sanitizer, as well. If the fact that some couples are going to be intimate is going to make you uncomfortable, you have a couple of choices - change your listing to ONE person accomodation only OR Stop hosting. I looked at your listing, it is gorgeous. The two reviews you have are excellent. You seem to make your guests happy. Good Luck!

Thanks for the Lysol detergent tip!!!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Paris28   If the issue was just that they were audible in their sex romps (as opposed to thinking that guests shouldn't have sex in your home, period) and if their booking was for more than one night, I'd be inclined to message them- "Hi, XXX, sorry to have to broach this subject, as I certainly don't wish to embarrass you, but I need to let you know that the "sound effects" of your good times in the bedroom are audible in the rest of the house. Pretty uncomfortable, as I'm sure you can understand, especially as there are children present. Thanks in advance for your cooperation in keeping it more private."

As others have said, you can limit your listing to 1 guest. But this is not necessarily an automatic solution. I only host solo travelers and I had one young female guest who wasn't exactly quiet when pleasuring herself. I just put in my earplugs, as it's just me here, I don't have children in the home.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

well, I have to admit I would never short term rent a room in my home on Airbnb. Specially if I would live alone or with my small child. It is not just renting a room... but also your privacy ,security and peace.... and time, and work of course.

I would rent it long term, with a good contract, to one female and would be very carefull who I choose. And of course I wouldn't rent it through Airbnb.

Situations like the one you explained are common and expected. And not just sex but also fights, loud music or conversations, showering or cooking at all time of the day and night, late arrivals etc... you will crack like a popcorn 🙂

@Paris28

I'm assuming that when you don't have guest(s), the guest bedroom is used by you (or your daughter). To some extent I understand your discomfort BUT you are renting a private room on Airbnb. When an ABB guest is staying in your guest bedroom, they will probably end up doing every imaginable thing a person can do in a private bedroom. They will probably fart, drool, snore, have sex (with someone in person or on the phone or alone), eat chinese takeout, watch TV in bed, wet the bed, and whatnot.....maybe sleep a bit too. Sure..... some people will not feel comfortable doing some things when they are a guest in someone's home. Others won't care and will feel/act right at home. 

If you want to continue to host but are really uncomfortable about couples having sex in your shared home private bedroom listing I would think that the best option would be to accept only single guests (make your listing a single occupancy room). Also, if it is just you and your daughter in your home (no males) then you could also state you accept female guests only. Of course, these solutions aren't perfect and there will always be a few that fall in between the cracks.......but if you screen well enough and let guests know your expectations IN ADVANCE, it could help you find the type of guests you want to host. Good luck~

And I'm sure a good washing of the sheets will be enough......you really don't need to throw them out 🙂 What do you think hotels do with sheets that are dirty from guests having a romp??