Guest having sex in my apartment whilst I am there (making noise)

Answered!
Kippy0
Level 3
Alicante, Spain

Guest having sex in my apartment whilst I am there (making noise)

I have hosted over 40 bookings in 2 years I think. Never have I experienced what I experienced this weekend. A guest rented a room in my apartment for her and a male friend. I am assuming they are in their early 20ties. At first all seemed well and the guests were kind as always when I first meet them.

This guest is fairly new to Airbnb joined in April (no reviews) so I am also assuming I may have been her first booking. Anyway, fast forward to later in the evening, I hear screeching coming from the room so I asked my bf, if he could hear that noise (from upstairs our bedroom which is on an other floor yet not really sound proof). My bf says, Oh my god I think they are getting it on. I could not believe that a guest would do that not only in a strangers home of which you are merly renting a room, but also whilst the host is present in the house. I also believe they as they were making the bed move they have the knowledge that they would cause for noise.

I am super disappointed in this guest and that she would do this whilst we were in the house. I therefore feel like not giving her a good review at all. I think you can never know what people do in a private room and its the risk you take but the fact that we heard it and they did that whilst we were in the house I believe is super disrespectful. At some point I came down, turned on all the lights in the hallway, made myself known in the space and they still kept it going.

What kind of review do I give this guest? I feel like I have to say something about it but I don't want to get too personal and put her on the spot. I don't necessarily not wish her any future bookings. Advise anyone?

1 Best Answer
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Please note that this content has been archived.

You can still access this topic if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

To ask a new question just click below:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks,

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

View Best Answer in original post

201 Replies 201
Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

I have hosted three couples by now. One couple was newly wed and on their honey moon.

So far I have never heard the slightest noise, maybe because my house has great acoustic protection? I was even curious how come it could be this quiet with a young couple sleeping in one of my rooms? 

But, if they had sex, I wouldn't mind.  If the one couple on honey moon had an unforgettable time in my house, I would be happy for them and would bless them

@Annette33

I also checked. On the room with white sheets it is posted under "other things to note". And I loved the declaration about South America too! Nice to see it was not just my eyes that caught it 😃

Mariann 🙂

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Mariann4 @Annette33

Now come on girls, everyone is entitled to their perspective and their own sense of decency, and I would never criticise anyone for that. I have said before, it takes a special type of person to invite a complete stranger into their four walls, and all that comes with it. There is no way I could do that! Our guest is out in the cottage many metres, and a couple of locked doors away!

Running into a naked stranger who is not even the invited guest is a big deal, certainly not something I would be comfortable dealing with so, if this host feels that is not appropriate for her then fine...But funnily enough this is not what she was 'beefing' about. It was the fact that something 100% natural, something that did not involve anyone else may have been happening under her roof. Was she afraid that what was going on was going to impact on her linens? Was she afraid she was going to be invited to take some sort of part? It was simply the fact that it was happening that got under her craw!.....But I still except that.

I just take exception to being called 'crazy' because I don't judge people, I don't moralize. She came here looking for opinions, and when she got them she accused the authors of being crazy!

That is unreasonable.

Cheers.....Rob

@Yen-and-Robin0, I totally agree about the decency! I would of course be a bit perplexed if I were to meet someone naked in my hallway. Especially someone I thought was in for doing a treetment that in my experience not contained any nudity on the therapist's behalf... 

But I take a bit offense to being called crazy. Just because I disagree. And I find it, at best, naive to think that any Airbnb-guests stay celibacy just because they rent a room in a private home. A majority of the guests are still youngsters. Youngsters need to know that consenting sex is nothing but healthy. 

Susan has every right to dictate her own houserules about nudity and decency in common areas. But people having consenting sex in a room they have paid for is, in my opinion, none of her business unless something breaks or neighbours complain. 

I will not be called crazy for having this opinion. But she has every right to factually disagree with me.

Mariann 🙂

Susan383
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

Sorry about the crazy but I do find social media very upsetting.  Lots of weirdos venting their opinions! You would say me included !  That's why I,rarely post anywhere.

susan

I would remove "in the room" lest they start whoopin' it up in the kitchen.  😉

Im very open minded but Im just not renting my room anymore. I just cant have strange people have sex in my house. I dont care how much they pay me. It's not worth it to me. My home is not a motel. It's a small apartment with thin walls. Has nothing to do with being a prude, just respect. People just dont respect anything anymore. Some of us find it gross. That simple. 

Susan383
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

Ivan totally agree with you

susan

John498
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Actually I think many people are being judgemental about the guest. She may well have been a proper lady and not speaking with her mouth full so she was unable to respond to the host.

Jason220
Level 1
Jacksonville, AR

Whoa...You mean to tell me couples have sex on vacation!? Sound the alarm!

Chloe61
Level 2
Dublin, Ireland

Turning on the lights and making yourself known is fairly passive aggressive. Sex is to be expected, it's a private room, your guests were a young couple on holiday. As far as I'm concerned, once you've paid for the room, it's yours for the stay.  Perhaps you should think about mentioning to your future guests in a private message, once they show intrest in the room, that sex is an issue for you in your home. I understand the lack of discretion would bother many hosts (maybe private message her to let her know other hosts might have an issue with this) but she doesn't deserve a bad review because she wanted to have sex with her partner. 

Susan383
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

Hi Chloe

you misread my post.  My room was a single room let to one person.  The guy turned up uninvited. Also I did not give her a bad review!!!! Don't do that with anyone.

susan

Susan383
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

If you're on you're own. I was talking about an uninvited guest in my SINGLE room! Get it

@Susan383, I see that both of your listings are for one guest, not for two or more. It is up to us hosts to enforce our own policies. I understand this guest sneaked in another person.

So, instead of having"no sex in the room" in your house rules, please consider taking that out and replacing it with "this room is for one person only, no extra guests". That seems much more effective to me. and then, when a guest breaks your house rules, you need to step up.

It certainly would be great if you left such a guest an honest review, not one that totally bypasses the issue.

Punam0
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Susan383  I agree with you Susan. If you have a single room for one person they shouldn't really be able to invite someone in. Although difficult to say no to someone who requested medical help. The guest abused your trust and that's not ok. 

In my listings I state that the walls are thin and guests should be quiet between 10pm and 7am.  Also, state that if guests want complete soundproof rooms, then a hotel would be a better option. @Kippy0 maybe that could be an option for your listing in the future? That way guests know before they book (that's if they read everything, which we know they dont)....but at least you've disclosed it.