Guest having sex in my apartment whilst I am there (making noise)

Answered!
Kippy0
Level 3
Alicante, Spain

Guest having sex in my apartment whilst I am there (making noise)

I have hosted over 40 bookings in 2 years I think. Never have I experienced what I experienced this weekend. A guest rented a room in my apartment for her and a male friend. I am assuming they are in their early 20ties. At first all seemed well and the guests were kind as always when I first meet them.

This guest is fairly new to Airbnb joined in April (no reviews) so I am also assuming I may have been her first booking. Anyway, fast forward to later in the evening, I hear screeching coming from the room so I asked my bf, if he could hear that noise (from upstairs our bedroom which is on an other floor yet not really sound proof). My bf says, Oh my god I think they are getting it on. I could not believe that a guest would do that not only in a strangers home of which you are merly renting a room, but also whilst the host is present in the house. I also believe they as they were making the bed move they have the knowledge that they would cause for noise.

I am super disappointed in this guest and that she would do this whilst we were in the house. I therefore feel like not giving her a good review at all. I think you can never know what people do in a private room and its the risk you take but the fact that we heard it and they did that whilst we were in the house I believe is super disrespectful. At some point I came down, turned on all the lights in the hallway, made myself known in the space and they still kept it going.

What kind of review do I give this guest? I feel like I have to say something about it but I don't want to get too personal and put her on the spot. I don't necessarily not wish her any future bookings. Advise anyone?

1 Best Answer
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Please note that this content has been archived.

You can still access this topic if if you have the link but it won't appear when you search on the Community Center.

To ask a new question just click below:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks,

Quincy

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

View Best Answer in original post

201 Replies 201
Susan383
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

The problem is if you bothered to read my post that it was a SINGLE room that I let. If it was a double room then fine 2 people and as much sex as you like! Get it!!!

Sandee1
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

Yes sex is natural, when staying in someone’s house though and they are sleeping nearby I feel it’s common decency to keep the noise down, don’t you? 

They can have sex all day and all night and I do not care but but when I hear it loud and clear and the house litterly shakes it is impolite and rude and NOT NATURAL to make your sex life a part of my life. Get a room people but not in my home. Song

Lunar2
Level 1
Logan Central, Australia

They did get a room. >.<

I completely agree! 
Natural thing! 
With all the due respect... If you do not want to have this experience again just stop hosting lol... because you will have a lot of this happening under your roof... just buy some gloves to clean the bedroom and that is it! Lol 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Kippy0  ......Hi Kippy, I have read a lot of questions on this forum but this one is definitely a ‘first’!!

You know it is probably something that many people do on a holiday Kippy, maybe meeting up with the BF on neutral territory and although it may have been embarrassing to you, the guest possibly had no idea she (or they) were audible to the world. She was possibly a very ‘expressive’ person and got carried away in the situation. Guests have no doubt done the same thing in our cottage, we haven’t heard them, but I would expect that it is something that will happen.

I don’t feel it would be wise to crucify her publically in a review if she was a good guest in every other way.

I would just quietly just pull her aside and say something like….”Hey, ****** could not help but hear you last night, no problem as far as my BF and I am concerned but,  just thought you may be a bit embarrassed if you knew others could hear”!! And leave it at that.

If she is a reasonable considerate person she will make sure she ‘tempers the tonsils’ next time. If it is repeated then you could possibly make some general comment about …..‘being noisy’

You have to remember when you invite strangers into your home it, to a certain extent, becomes a public space and guests will, in some areas, bring their ‘habits’ with them…..cheers…..Rob

Thank you Robin great feedback. She has left so I cant pull her aside. I was moreso wondering what review to give but I got a lot of feedback and responses thanks. 

I just had this experience this past weekend (hence I am reading this thread). What I chose to do in my review was to answer the general questions honestly about cleanliness and observance of house rules (my guests technically did 5-stars for those things, and were generally very pleasant people, and I don't have a house rule of 'no sex in the guest room' so they didn't break rules). So I gave her 5 stars overall. But in the private feedback section, I politely mentioned that my walls are thin and that hotels or a full home rental were probably better suited for "romantic activity" than a private bedroom with the host present. I let them know it made me a bit uncomfortable as a host. But again, only in the private feedback. They may not have known they were audible, but had to know I was there as I live alone and my car was in the drive when they got to the house.

I also responded to the discomfort of this experience by jacking up my extra guest rate to $20/night from $10/night. In general, I'll probably get fewer 2-guest bookings from people who wouldn't have sex in my Airbnb listing room, but to me its worth it not to be privy to my guests' private business. I plan to offer special pricing to anyone who asks why it is so high, because I feel I could speak plainly to such a person about my concerns and perhaps mitigate future occurences.

I definitely feel you on this one.  My landlords turned the apartment above me into an Airbnb and it’s just disgusting.  People either come to party and are so noisy and rude, or they’re here to have sex and definitely make it apparent with the noise. I have never been so disrespected in my life. My landlords don’t give a ** though. They’re apparently greedy and just want to make money out of the deal…. KARMA!

**[Inappropriate content removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

I had a hard time deciding what to do. I ended up only writing a public review in which I said something along the lines of "great people, but better suited for a hotel or entire home stay."

Don't pull a guest aside to say that their sex was too noisy - how embarrassing that would be!!

Yes, but how uncomfortable for the host to have to listen to it. Definitely speak up.

Susan383
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

Hi Robin

In response to your comments.  Firstly I have nothing against gay people I work in films and TV and work with them all,the time.  In fact I don't separate groups I.e gay, straight , black, white etc no difference.

i think you are missing,the point .  If I was letting a Doublé room for 2 people then of course they,can do,what they want.' But I let 2'singlemrooms,and expect one person to be there!!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Susan383 With respect Susan it is not us that is missing the point. I have said in a few posts along this thread that I would feel uncomfotable in the extreme being confronted by some nude apparition that I did not know from Adam inside my personal space.

You had every right to feel indignation!

My point was, you came here for advice which a few of us gave, to the best of our ability, not knowing the personal circumstances surround this episode and we were called 'Crazy' !

I can't tell you the hours that these fingers have rattled across this keyboard over the past two years Susan. I don't get paid for it. I certainly have better things to do with my time. I do it because some wonderful people on this community forum got me started with hosting and I have never had a problem with my hosting and that is due to the help I received here. I can't pay those lovely people back, they know what I know.....all I can do is pay it forward and try to help others.

I am not looking for accolades.....but I don't want be called crazy....and that is my point.

Cheers.....Rob

Robin, it was a single room for a single guest...not a pay by the hour room in a knocking shop in Soho.