Guest holds party - can I claim compensation?

Shaama0
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

Guest holds party - can I claim compensation?

Hi, 

I was hosting a guest for a weekend. MY house rules clearly state no guests or parties allowed. After one night, I got a call from my building manager saying that there were about 16 people in the apartment making a lot of noise and drinking away. It was almost 11pm and as per the law the neighbours are allowed to call the police for excessive noise.

I called the guest to find out more information. She did not pick up 3 times I picked up. The 4th time she did and said she only had 2 friends over and they were playing games. I asked my neighbor to see if there was noise and he saw about 15 ppl leave the aparment. I messaged the guest saying that. What am i supposed to do in this situation?

Am I able to claim the security deposit because of this? What else can I do as compensation rather than giving her a bad review?

Thanks,

Shaama

26 Replies 26
Ricardo71
Level 7
Miami, FL

I believe in shared economy, I believe Airbnb can be beneficial for our neighborhoods and our communities.  That said, our neighbors come first.  We could not do this if we don't act responsible .  Inconveniencing neighbors creates  resistance.

I don't know to what extent you deserve compensation unless something was damaged or soiled, but I do feel your neighbors deserve better and you have to prove to them you are willing to take action when needed.  I would contact support and seek to cancel the remaining of their  stay without rights to get any of their money back. 

I agree. Our neighbors are critical to supporting the AIRBNB community. Likewise, future hosts should know about what happened. We have to protect each other and maintain our integrity. Otherwise, reviews are meaningless and we won't be able to count on them. 

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

First ensure you leave an honest review of this guest to alert other hosts.

Can you claim against the deposit? Only if you have excess cleaning or damage or if you have stated a charge for breaking house rule like parties/disturbing neighbours, etc..

You can not charge  for anythin that your house rules state. I tried that and airbnb refused to honor it. I set hefty fines in my house rules to avoid partying/additional guests/get together as they all seem to go hand-hand and I painfully learned that they dont mean anything. 

Although a pain in the ass Airbnb has been pretty good with paying out for my house rules that were broken. I definitely take a lot of pictures and I’m very persistent about the situation with Airbnb. 

What was the process that you went through to get them to pay-out for broken house rules? 

Dawn33
Level 10
San Marcos, TX

This happened to me two nights ago!!!

I have a no unregistered guests, no pets, etc house rules.

Guest arrives. Later goes out and comes back with two friends. I tell him that they have to leave. He is all "of course, of course!" Two hours later, a woman is laughing in his bedroom. I txt him to meet me in the kitchen. The "of course, of course." crap. An hour later, she is still here at 3:30am! I simply knock on the door and ask him to leave with his guests. A new girl comes out with a big bag that starts sneezing. It is a DOG!

He went to her house for his second night since he didn't think the house rules applied to him.

I didn't feel bad either. His choice.

I am running the same issue. Guests broke the house rule and having party and drinks at the deck 4am in the morning!

I called and texted the neighbors to apologize and planning to meet with the guests to apologize.  Should I ask the guests to leave?  How soon can I do that?  What is the process like?

I am not concern about the payout, but really worry about how to make peace with the neighbors.  Any advise?

Thanks,

Lei

Lei, contact Airbnb and tell them the story. If they have broken your house rules which they have to agree to upon booking, you can have them removed.

When we are passive, we are taken advantage of and have no one to blame except ourselves.

Hi Dawn,  How do we contact Airbnb?  I'm so confused by that process.  Thanks!

Shannon

I just saw this. Sorry!

Twitter --- airbnbhelp is your friend. 

Notify them to your situation and plans to remove guests. (They cannot remove them for you. Only you can do that. 

I'm having this issue. I contacted Airbnb twice via phone while guest was there in middle of party (I do have the NO PARTY rule) and I even did a conference call. Guest refused to leave, cops were called, Airbnb won't pay me, guest refused to pay me, she gave a bad review, left my place a mess and airbnb says they won't pay because the guest did not spend the night. !!!!!!! They have to be joking, right? 

I'm not leaving a guest like that in my home alone!!!! I'm EXTREMLY disapointed in Airbnb for allowing this type of guest behavior and I'm the one punished!!! 

Certainily AIRBNB has some work to do in this area. The same thing just happened to me. So annoyed with them unable to assist with any of this!

Majio0
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Hi I rented my house for one week and they had party of 40 people at my house they put all the sofa and chairs and tables in the garden under rain  to have more room for more people . plice came ,they are gone now but the damegge to the house is too much . no respound from airbnb yet 😞