Guest hosts party, trashes place, police involved. Airbnb declines claims as "Guest has not given permission"

Guest hosts party, trashes place, police involved. Airbnb declines claims as "Guest has not given permission"

A gangster hosted a large unauthorized party at my home with lots of weed and alcohol. They damaged the fire alarm and broke doors and stuff. Cops got tipped of and called me to get permission to break up the party as they were worried. It took 3 days for my home to be repaired and available for booking again. My home description and house rules clearly state that parties, smoking, weed are not allowed and any breaking of this rule will result in forfeiture of the security deposit. Guest agreed with these rules, and also messaged me to say he was not going to host any party or smoke/ use weed at home.

Neither guest nor AirBnb dispute the facts of this case, as there is a police report, and pictures of the damage and of  over half a dozen cop cars and more then a dozen police officers  breaking the party up.

Airbnb has been going round in circles on dealing with my claims. After 2 months this is summary of their responses:

1. They cannot pay me security deposit as guest has not responded/ approved paying me security deposit, after the event occured. It does not matter that the guest had approved forefeiting it at the time of booking if he breaks house rules

2. They cannot approve my loss of revenue claim, as guest has not responded/ approved this claim either

3. The agreement is between me and guest, so I have to pursue all claims against guest directly. AirBnb cannot help if guest stays silent or does not approve charges

4. BUT, they will not provide me guest contact information, including address, for me to pursue claim against guest, as it is against their policy.

Questions:

1. Short of suing Airbnb, what are my options here?

2. Is this official Airbnb stance that hosts have no recourse against home rule violation and indirect damages, nor can them claim security deposit, if guest does is uncommunicative, or does not approve? If so, it pretty much gives guests a license to break any house rule that does not cause direct financial loss.

0 Replies 0