Guest informs me she is shipping a package to my Airbnb. Didn't ask.

Guest informs me she is shipping a package to my Airbnb. Didn't ask.

I have guest coming Saturday and she just messaged me that they are going ice climbing (odd) and just realized they need different gear and it will be shipped to my Airbnb.  Didn't ask,  just stated it. This may or may not be ok;  I'm not really comfortable with it. Guest made reservation and she's new to Airbnb. I didn't feel great when she made the reservation because the message was just "Hello, looking forward to our stay in...."  I somehow had the reviews requirement taken off when she made the reservation. She does have a govt issued ID though. The place where she told me they are going ice climbing does exist - I looked it up, but still possibly could be false.

I want to ask her if this is being sent in my name or hers, for one thing. But I'm not sure how to handle this. Should I open the package if it's in my name, or possibly send it back? I saw someone else post that they won't accept  a package  in their name and will have it returned. It's just a one night reservation, but I'm not sure what to do about this . Any ideas or help?

She does live across state lines. I'm in Michigan and she's in Ohio.

8 Replies 8
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Jennifer1351 That's a really tough one! Definitely not okay that she had something sent to your property without asking, but she could be telling the truth, especially if your place is just a stop on a longer trip.

I would probably check where the package came from and decide based on that: if it says it from REI or MEC or something, I'd say it's pretty safe. No one is going to accept a courier package from MEC as a proof of address. If it's nondescript or unmarked or an official looking envelope, I would consider opening it if it's addressed to you or sending it back if it isn't.

I would definitely mention it in the private portion of your review to her. No guest should think that it's okay to send mail or packages to a host's address without asking.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jennifer1351

I agree with @Alexandra316 - but I am also curious as to why you accepted a reservation that you were uncomfortable with from the outset? Even if they are perfect guests you will be on edge for that night, and any minor infringement of your rules etc will be amplified. Always best to trust your gut feeling

@Gerry-And-Rashid0  I made a mistake of having the review requirement turned off. She had none, but I have instatnt book and she did have a govt ID so it just came through, unfortunately. I agree I will be on edge with this.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I think your guest is bang out of order for doing this.

Personally I would contact the guest and tell them that they shouldn't have arranged for a package to be delivered to your place, without checking with you first as to whether this would be acceptable.

Say that you would prefer for them to have it delivered to a parcel pick up centre. 

@Helen0  Do you think if it arrives here I can have it sent to a parcel pick up location?  She messaged me late this afternoon and tells me a package will be delivered tomorrow. Can they change the address of where it's shipped at this point in time?

I messaged guest about an hour ago to ask if package is being sent in my name or hers, and what it is and where it's coming from. So far, no response. Making me more uncomfortable. I did call Airbnb and was told if I find out package is in my name I can cancel reservation in a "neutral position" so it won't impact me (was told and I hope the honor this, i did get an email to confirm.) And if no response from guest, hopefully I can cancel based on that also.

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Jennifer1351, I would not accept any packages. Did you see the post a few weeks back, where a guest sent a bunch of ammunition to a host? She had to end up contacting the police and was in the end even interviewed by the FBI. Granted, ice climbing gear is nothing on that level, but I would just not make a practice of it. 

@John1080I did see that post, which made me more nervous when guest messaged me. I contacted her over an hour ago and no response yet if it's being sent in my name or hers, where it's coming from. I won't accept anything with my name on it, but what if it's hers? What about letting her stay in my Airbnb.

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Jennifer1351, I don't know! Hopefully, a host with more experience with this will chime in! My thought is, if it arrives and you turn it away, she's going to be upset, which will lead to an awkward stay and a negative review. Do you think it'll arrive before she arrives or during her stay?