Guest inquiry, but then doesn't respond

Guest inquiry, but then doesn't respond

Hello,

I got an inquiry from a guest who wanted to book one night but asked if i would reduce the price slightly. I responded that I would since it was only one person, but asked what price she had in mind. She never responded. So I don't want to decline (necessarily) since I assume that is not good for my search ranking. I thought maybe  I could 'pre-approve" and ask if she's still interested, or if not please cancel the booking request.

I'm wondering what the best way to handle a situation when a guest inquires but then doesn't respond? And Airbnb keeps sending me notices to accpet or decline. Does declining an inquiry like this hurt your search ranking? What if I don't respond and just leave the inquiry open? 

Any ideas on the best way to handle this?

Thanks so much!

16 Replies 16

@Corey-And-Michelle0 No, you’re not missing anything. That box being checked means every trip request you receive should be verified already, or have to complete the process at time of request (when this happens the request will read ‘awaiting verification’.) The fact it’s checked means you shouldn’t be having any issues. See what happens going forward. If it’s still not working for you, try gaping back, unchecking the box, logging out, log back in and try again. This platform is glitchy. 

Hi Colleen. We are also new to Airbnb and having similar issues. We decided it was safest for everyone to require a government issued ID to be submitted and approved by Airbnb prior to booking. This rule is on our listing page under things guests may need to know, but we still get inquiries and requests to book that need approved or declined. I give the same response to everyone "Thank you for your inquiry. We would love to host you for your visit to Augusta!
We require a government issued ID to reserve with us. Once that is submitted and approved by Airbnb, it will allow you to instant book with us.
Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you, Christine"

But then this is where I feel like I am a newbie who doesnt know what to do. I have had guests tell they did it, but the site still wont let them instant book. I have found that I have to decline the request every time to free up the dates and then it works for them. But then its 50/50 if they actually respond, so I feel like I do a lot of declining. And I dont feel it's a safe policy to just take someone's word for it when Airbnb gives no indication or message telling me its done. I did go to the reservations requirement page and check that box, but am still kind of confused as to whether that will solve our issue.