Guest is lying about why they want to cancel

Guest is lying about why they want to cancel

Hi,

I'd love opinions on this.  I live in a small resort community.  A proprietor of a local business that I patronize, booked my condo for 26 nights because she was remodeling her house.  The booking is 25 June-21 July.  It's a strict cancellation policy which she inquired about before booking and I cut and pasted the policy in our message thread.  Now, April 22 she requested that I work with her to get her deposit back and to get it re-rented because her husband has a serious illness.  I contacted one of her employees that I am acquainted with expressing my concern for her boss's husband who I'd hear was ill. She wrote back that he was OK.  I looked on the guest's fb page and her house was put on the market on April 8 and is now pending at a list price of $3.5 million.  So, the real reason why she wants to cancel is that the house she was going to remodel in June will likely no longer belong to her.

Because the cancellation policy is strict, she's lying...I'm tempted to say no but like I said it's a small community.  I could probably get it rented but I'm not 100% sure because I just bought it March 1.   I'd like to tell her that I will refund her money if I find someone else, but the dates will be blocked on the calendar until the reservation is cancelled.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

7 Replies 7
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Tina7372  "I'd like to tell her that I will refund her money if I find someone else". Spot on. When I do this, I urge the guest to cancel asap, as the sooner they do that, the sooner the dates can be rebooked. That usually lights a fire under them to get it done.😉

@Colleen253 This is excellent advice! @Tina7372  Make sure she knows Airbnb fees may not be refunded and she would have to deal with them on that. 

Jorge

Hi @Tina 😊

@M199 Is correct. Her point of view is much appreciated.

Happy Hosting ✌️

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Tina7372 

You are running a business as well. A contract is a contract!  Why should you suffer the consequences of her/his claims.  Gather print screens, only communicate via Airbnb messages and copy/print screen whatever other  verifiable information you find and STICK TO YOUR POLICY.   From your details, this person sounds to be less than "above board".  Don't underestimate the value of rural chatter.  Stick to your instincts.  We live in a small rural community and it is amazing how word gets around.  Your reputation within the community is more important than bowing to a single request to breach a contract.

Screenshot_20210703-002225_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20210703-002225_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20210703-095405_Messages.jpg

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Tina7372  I find it interesting that you are concerned about bad blood in a small community ( I can totally understand that), yet she isn't. No qualms about lying, no qualms about asking you to waive the policy you took the time to go over with her so she understood the implications of cancelling.

I agree, just offer to refund any nights you can rebook. Keep a professional stance and some distance with this woman.

If she has a home that's worth 3.5 mil she's not going to starve if she has to lose the money for the booking.

Helen18
Level 2
Birkenhead, United Kingdom

Who is Jason?