Guest just cancelled and wants refund

Jane563
Level 10
Brighton, United Kingdom

Guest just cancelled and wants refund

I had someone coming for two nights, (Due this afternoon) and she’s just cancelled. Reason given was that she has lost her phone, and wants to be somewhere where she can’t get lost.

In line with my five day cancellation policy, she’s lost most of her money. And she’s spitting fire by text. (I always give my mobile no in case they get lost.) I’ve directed her to the airbnb site to discuss and have told her I won’t refund. 

Not a chance, and if she escalates this I will fight it.

5 Replies 5
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Jane563

Let me get this straight.....she is travelling, has lost her mobile phone but, is still able (miraculously)  to communicate that she is lost and needs to cancel! 

The problem you are faced with here Jane is, she will be offered the opportunity to leave a review because the cancellation was on the designated arrival day....she has you over a barrel!

It is probably that Airbnb will side with her as the guest because, guests make Airbnb money, hosts cost them money......and as a host you are expendable at no cost to Airbnb!

Jane, keep all your communication with this hustler through the message stream so that you have a record to refer CX to.

Good luck, I hope you can sort this out to your advantage and if there is any further advice we can give please let us know!

Cheers......Rob

Jane563
Level 10
Brighton, United Kingdom

She’s gone quiet now, so let’s see what happens.

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Jane563@Robin4 has summed it up and highlighted one of the major problems with Airbnb for us hosts. Being able to leave you a review, in this case, you're backed into a corner with few options.

I would be furious too - cancellation policies are in place for a reason. You can go ahead and refuse the refund, but she will probably leave you a negative review. It's unfortunate that we hosts are even put in this position in these cases, but that is what it is until and if the policies are changed. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Jane563, I would be very interested in the outcome to this and Airbnb's final decision. Please keep us posted!

Jane563
Level 10
Brighton, United Kingdom

I’d heard nothing more, and no review as yet. I’ll come back if/when anything happens.