Guest leaves after one night

Guest leaves after one night

Hi all,

i have an interesting situation that I am not quite understanding.

These guests came in on the 6th, and were supposed to checkout on the 8th.

They checked in ok. But they stayed one night instead of two. When I asked when they would be checking out, the person claimed that she didn’t come back after the one night because our place was loud and unclean.

My concern is, she never voiced her displeasure at all whatsoever, and communication when she checked in completely dropped until at the time of checkout. As a new host, I’ve never had someone leave my apartment because of it being unclean and loud. The past 4 or 5 guests were happy and left good reviews.

Is this normal for hosts? What can I do to improve things for the next person?

Thanks.

11 Replies 11
John1574
Level 10
Providence, RI

@Rawia0

Very odd.  You make it sound like the guests made up, fabricated, the complaints.

Do you have any details about what noise and who was making it?  What was unclean according to the guests?

It's better to provide more info rather than less in these threads so others can fully understand whayyou are writing about. 

This is really not enough information for anyone to really offer you advice.

The problem is I don’t quite know what was unclean or at what points were there loud noises. 

Every guest we have had has not complained of loud noises at all, we have had a person stay for almost a week and they have not stated anything about noises. The only thing I can think off is a person was making a lot of noise outside in the middle of the night but that wasn’t because of us, it was just a disruptive person nearby, which is very rare since this is a suburb not a city, but i don’t quite know if that’s the case she hasn’t given any details other than it was loud.

As as for the cleanliness I went in the suite and I don’t quite understand what was unclean. We always vaccuum after every guest, we always have fresh towels, fresh sheets, clean pillow cases.

She did not specify what was exactly was the issue she just generalized and left it at that. I offered her a refund for the night she hasn’t stayed and apologized to her about it, but I still do not quite know what happened? I am not saying she is fabricated anything but I don’t quite know what made her think it was unclean and loud.

Rawia: sorry I cannot tag you I keep getting an error message.

"What can I do to improve things for the next person?"

Ask the guests what they thought was unclean and what the noise was.

Check the apartment thoroughly, talk to your cleaners. Ask someone you know to walk through they may notice things you don't.

It's frustrating when guests complain and you have no idea what they are talking about.  I  had a 3 star cleanliness because guests did not clean up after themselves, they expected maid service, they were extremely messy and dirty!   I also had a low value because a homless person asked a guest for money – in nyc the home of the homeless, and low stars for noise: sirens and helicopters and honking horns, so I have added that the city is noisy with a list of noises one will most definitely hear in any big  city!

Nothing is too obvious to state for some guests.

Other than that I would  forge ahead. You have great reviews. If they leave a less than stellar review, respond by selling your listing and proactivity and professionalism to future  guests. See a post called "Tips for Writing Responses" (how to turn a negative to the positive). Good luck!

Thank you for the response and the link to the tips.

I am happy with the reviews we have had so far, and every guest we have dealt with was respectful, polite and clean, and quiet.

This was a bit of a shocker only because we have never had someone leave! I offered her a refund she said it would be nice but I haven’t received any information regarding if she had accepted the refund request or not. She has great reviews, but it’s just odd how  she generalized the issue and hasn’t even stated what specific parts of it was not comfortable. 

Thanks Again, we will always do more to make sure our future guests are happy, and those tips are really good info for when we will need to respond to her.

Rawi:   If they haven't accepted the refund maybe they have other things on their mind.  It may have nothing to do with you, maybe a personal issue between them and they didn't want to get into it so just made something up. You could wait until their review is public and just respond to that if need be.

@Ange0

I agree with Ange: it's the only thing that makes sense to me.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Don't take it personally.

People are fickle and people lie.

People have the option to tell you exactly why they are leaving.... or not.

They could have found a cheaper, better place and did not want to pay the cancellation fee.

They may not have liked you and did not want to say that.  (We can't be everything to all people)

For some reason, they just did not want to stay at your place.  A guest saying "Room was unclean" is easy and final. Similiar to hosts saying "I'm not comfortable with this reservation"

Good luck

Thank you for your response. I offered her a refund for the night as a courtesy.

i just don’t quite know what to put for the review. 

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Rawia0 ,

the only people who can answer Your questions are Your guests and they don't want to communicate.

You can do nothing about it, You did nothing wrong, forget about it and move on.

Some people are strange.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Rawia0

I agree with @Paul0 that is a human behaviour driven response

You cannot control how someone will react.  

1. Ensure the place is clean.  Check for receipts etc under beds....

2. If causing stress, then time stamp photos of the place before guest entry =  evidence.

3. Document and communicate through Airbnb message site.

4. If there is no damage, just breathe and start again.

The human nature is a fickle machine. Just be happy with the service you offer.

🙂

Cathie

Thank you for the photo tips!

I always make sure the place is tidy and neat after every guest, and ready for their stay. 

So I’m hoping this is just a one time experience. I’m inclined to believe  what Paul said, there is a chance she did not like the suite.