Guest leaving 1 star review and requests a full refund 4 days after leaving

Ori28
Level 2
New York, NY

Guest leaving 1 star review and requests a full refund 4 days after leaving

Hi I am facing a really weird situation that I need help with.

I have a listing in my apt (I live in a 2 bedroom) and I am renting 1 room to guests and living in the other room.

So far so good with airbnb never had a bad review and everyone were happy and I got to meet amazing people.

However, I had a last minute booking from a guest who asked to check in earlier and stay for x1 night.

I said Okay that's fine with me since I had trust(Even though I thought twice before accepting since the guest had no reviews, and was only looking to stay x1 night)

They came to my place and were very very noisy (Which is not part of the house rules) and I have asked them to be quite since we live in a quite building.

They were still noisy but I took it.

during their stay I asked them if they need anything and if I could help them with anything  and they said all is fine and asked for an Iron and I helped them.

At the end they broke the house rules but I didn't mind since I know I am in the hospitality business and they left the house.

4 days later I recieve a request for a full refund by the guest stating that "there were roaches in the room the towels were thrown the door was not locked and they felt unsafe?"

Really? I have 5 star reviews only and they also left me a 1 star review (Breaking my super host status).

I got very nervous about this and called airbnb and explained that even during the stay I even wrote to them if they need anything let me know I'd be happy to assist".

I also have pictures of the place before arrival(I made them during the night laundry and clean towels since It was last minute booking).

What do I do from here? my reputation on airbnb is important for me and I take pride for my great hospitality. I feel like the guests are manipulating the system (They never had airbnb reviews or stays before) and screwing me over..

26 Replies 26

@Emilia42 I see. Yes that is nuts.

lI called airbnb and airbnb told me that.. I usually don't leave reviews to guests sometimes since It is emotionally hard for me to give low star review to someone even if they were bad guests

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ori28 I only mention the lock as someone said to me the other day “common sense is not very common”. We have a simple but stable single lock on the main door and private bedroom yet some people still don’t know how to use it or even figure it out. This is why maybe show them it upon check in. 

What you are doing seems on point, I hope this gets sorted out and I am so sorry this happened to you. 

From someone who understands how upsetting and frustrating these type of situation can be.. my only advice is keep on going and unless she is able to provide valid proof then under no circumstance should she be allowed to have that money back. And as you say you have proof that she never communicated any of this you despite messaging her several times, Airbnb should be ideally siding with you. Good luck to you and don’t let it destroy your day!! 😊

Patrick802
Level 3
County Dublin, Ireland

Hi @Ori28 the guest is chancing their arm to try and get any kind of money back as a refund. Also if the guest has no reviews and probably never used airbnb before they don’t realise they just can't act in this totally disrespectful way in someones home and tell a pack of lies also.

I’ve had some similar issue like this before and had to ask the guests to keep the noise down and they did not like it and had attitude,  it was either noise down or the y leave. They didn’t bother to even leave a review in the end.

I think the fact that you have messaged them through the system is really in your favour and I would really push it with airbnb to refuse refund and take down the 1 star review if this is possibl?, its totally unfair and they have broken your stated house rules.

Vladimira0
Level 2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

hello @Ori0  I had a situation a few month ago that a person didn't have any review,  it was last minute instant booking, and I was not present home at this time.  so I call the guest that I cannot help. told  him to contact Airbnb to get another  accomodation,  I called also Airbnb that i do not like to take new people without any  review. . Sometimes I do, but ask them some question that I feel comfotable with my guests.  Airbnb cancelled this reservation, but guest left me 1 star, I  called d Airbnb that this guest never ever put a foot in our appartment, and Airbnb refuses to remove  this review.   Airbnb is not always great to help you.

@Vladimira0, you should update your requirements to only allow guests with previous reviews to instant book. You should also check the box that does not allow same day reservations. Best to avoid another situation like that in the future.

Thank you , but my guest are mostly weekends, so I do allow same day reservation. thank you again have a great day Vladimira

Rita10
Level 3
Sunshine Coast, Australia

@Ori0 If you have not left a review, & you can't see their review, as they have 14 days to leave one, then Airbnb must have a letter, or phone call stating the guests point of view.   I ask, have you upset anyone recently for the mischievous review?  I see you don't have the Superhost symbol which indicates something has gone down.

I generally don't host anyone who does not have a review.

I would not be refunding the money & Airbnb will need to check the communication, as I thought it all went through their alogrithms for them to block out certain numbers and emoji's.  They ask us to communicate only through them.

This is now a chance to demonstrate how you handle a negative response & rise above in a true professional way.  This will be read by other potential guests & see that you are a true professional.  

Hey, always look on the bright side of life.   -  Say to them that you threw  in the roaches at no extra charge.... haahahahaha

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Ori28  I don’t think the reviews is retaliation for you asking them to be quiet.  I think they know very well what they’re doing. I almost feel like there’s a tutorial somewhere out there on how to get Airbnb stay for free. Although I have done a Google search and have not come across one 🙂 He probably knew before he even arrived he was going to do this.  How can you be in the same apartment and he has bugs and you do that? Also, if somebody truly wants their door locked, they ask for help.   Now that you know that you are getting 1 star, go ahead and give you him honestly as well. And once you see his review, you can see if there’s any violation of the review rules and you can attempt to have it removed. And if not,  make sure to respond to his review in a very professional manner. Also I recommend posting a  response to other reviews, even if positive so this response doesn’t stand out and doesn’t take every single person straight to the negative review as they look at your listing.  After that – just don’t worry about it.  Soon enough it will be on page 2 

@Inna22 – I thought the same thing when I read the original post – this sounds like somebody trying to get a free Airbnb stay.

Katie---Sean0
Level 10
Carlsbad, CA

Hi @Ori28 – I'm sorry this happened to you. I just wanted to let you know thatI read the review the guest left you – and I think your followup response was good. You were friendly, polite, but firmly explained what actually happened. If I was a Guest and read your response, I would not be concerned. Also I can click on the Guest profile and see she only has one review (yours) and it's bad, so I would not accept her booking. But her review for you is isolated, and it's obvious reading other reviews that this was a "revenge review" meaning she did it to try and get something (a freebie night maybe). So I think you handled it well, given the unfortunate circumstances.

bYes I saw that.. Thanks, I tried to call airbnb to remove the review but It didn't really work even if It's a dishonest one

I was supposed to become a superhost this month.

well.. 😕