Guest leaving burning candle behind

Answered!
Ylva311
Level 2
Stockholm, Sweden

Guest leaving burning candle behind

Hi everyone, I am new to this community.

I have 2 places for rent, a small house and an apartment near Stockholm, Sweden.  Usually everything works well but today I had guests checking out from the house leaving not only rubbish and a big pile of dirty dishes -including a pot with burnt rice-but also a burning candle! I wrote to the guests in the morning that they could check out later (11.00 is standard) if they wished and that I would come around in the afternoon.

I also asked them to turn off the heat when they left which they didn't, all radiators and the air heat pumps were on full blast which had almost killed the flowers in the windows. Of course they had not watered the flowers which is part of my house rules when staying more than 2 nights. I do charge a cleaning fee so I guess I can't complain about dirty dishes and the rubbish but what about the burning candle? 

It was just lucky that I happened to came around right after the had left, in fact I knocked on the door because I saw the candle through the window and thought they were still there! Other than that the house was ok and they did not disturb anyone. What to I write in the review? 

1 Best Answer
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ylva311 

Ylva, get rid of the candle, it is statistically proven in my major city of 1.3 million people more house fires result from candles left burning than any other single cause. Second to candles comes lit cigarettes left unattended.

Although you have not brought up any smoking issues, be pro-active! Get yourself a cigarette smoke detector which you can install yourself. It's battery operated, just screw it to the ceiling.

Cigarette smoke detector.png

put a sign in your listing that says, cigarette smoke will trigger the alarm and alert you via an app on your phone, and you will find nobody will want to actually put it to the test!

Remove any candles you may have in your listing and that will improve your safety and smoke free environment considerably.

I have a cottage key transmitter which triggers a circuit at the front gate when the guest leaves the cottage.

IMG20190703172317.jpg

Once triggered if no movement is detected in the cottage for 8 minutes it trips the heating/cooling circuit and power is turned off and re-activates when the guest returns back through the front gate again.

Lastly, you will find it is hard enough to get guests to adhere to their side of the deal, let alone help you with yours. I also have flowers and plants around my cottage listing but I have never expected a guest to maintain them for me.....and from memory I don't think, in over 400 stays, any guest actually has watered or looked after them.

Ylva, you are going to get the odd breakage but, work out all the ways a guest can abuse what you offer and take the required steps to minimise the risk.

Cheers........Rob

View Best Answer in original post

26 Replies 26
Jabarie0
Level 2
Zachary, LA

I would be honest. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Ylva311  “X did not follow house rules and left a candle burning on departure. Cleaning required Y more hours than usual. We would not host them again.”

Ylva311
Level 2
Stockholm, Sweden

Thank you for your support! This is what I wrote: X and his company stayed in my house for four nights. Communication was good initially and he was welcome to check in early and check out late. Unfortunately X did not follow the house rules properly-watering the plants if staying more than 2 nights-and he did not turn off the heat on departure as he was asked to and had agreed to do, instead all radiators and the heat air pump was on full blast! He also left the garbage in the house along with pile of dirty dishes and worst of all -a burning candle! Therefore we feel doubtful to recommend David to other hosts. 

I really don´t like giving bad reviews and this guy wasn´t the worst guest I´ve had. A week ago I had a company of 4 + visiting friends that smoked inside the apartment non stop for 5 days and then wasn´t going to check out, my husband had to come home from work to  help me throw them out! They left 250 liters of garbage and a tear gas container hidden in a toilet roll behind. And they stole 3 teaspoons, I am sure cigarettes wasn´t the only thing they smoked during those 5 days. The apartment still smells of smoke.  But leaving a burning candle on departure is almost  as bad. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I think it's fine, but I'd have left out the point about watering your plants. Weakens the review somewhat.  

Thank you, good point

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Ylva311  I would suggest you remove the plants. Expecting guests to keep plants watered isn't really practical. I have a friend who rents out 4 little cabins. She only takes long-term renters and she had made lovely little gardens in front of each cabin. The tenants were supposed to keep their little gardens watered, but they would sit there on the porch, day after day, working online, or just hanging out, never paying any attention to the fact that the gardens were all drying up and the plants dying. She finally just decided not to bother trying to make it look pretty for them, as they obviously didn't care and couldn't be bothered, and took out the gardens.

Ok. The house rule about watering the plants has worked for over a 150 bookings so far but I see your point! However in the summer it is a must as there is a garden belonging to the house and watering the plants goes with it! I  like the homey feeling of having flowers in the windows all year around but maybe I should give it up! Thanks for your input!

Julie-Ann21
Level 3
New York, NY

I completely understand if you don't want to give a bad review. However, if you have rules and they didn't follow them you need to mention that so that they'd understand what that means. Believe it or not some people just don't get it. I would not give him a 5-star rating because they put your house in danger. Rate them less than perfect and mentioned in the review that while they didn't disturb anyone they left the apartment messy, a candle burning which is a potential fire, the heat on, and dirty dishes! To me that is not a good guest. However, we get these people every now and then.

Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

I would never leave a candle in the unit; too much room for error. I also wouldn't demand that guests water the flowers/plants. Guests are on vacation; I don't expect my guests to do chores, no matter how simple the chore is. 

I wouldn't mention any of that because you are just asking for them to complain about you as well. They probably didn't even read your rules at all (unfortunately, most people don't read past the first or second paragraph). 

If you are steadfast about certain rules, I recommend hanging signs in the unit stating said rules.

You will find over time, that these guests are probably really not that bad. I wouldn't have left them a bad review. I try to treat others how I would like to be treated. Some people are just messy by nature.

@Maia29 Guests can't see hosts' reviews until their own reviews are posted or the deadline has passed. So there is no reason to worry about "them complaining about you as well" wrt review contents.

Lisa723-that is true; however, an indignant guest that knows the Airbnb system will take up a case in customer resolution or "health and safety" as a way to retaliate. I know this by experience.

Thank you, I have a lot to learn!  Messy by nature is ok but leaving a burning candle is pretty bad, or not??? Also in both my listings there are plenty of opportunities for guests to make mistakes such as open fire places and tiled stoves. 99,9% of the guests are very careful and considerate! When I  compare this guest to other

guests it just doesn´t seem right to give him a good review. But I still havn´t posted it.

I wouldn't post it. Honestly, it doesn't seem that bad; but maybe I am overly tolerant. I've had some really awful guests on our "down/slow time".