Guest leaving inaccurate review

Asury-and-Adam0
Level 3
Clarksville, TN

Guest leaving inaccurate review

I recently had a guest leave me a 1 star for listing accuracy because the TV didn't have cable and logging into Netflix account was a hassle because she couldn't remember her password! I was furious because my listing specifies that there is no cable and that TV was a Smart TV. She even called me shortly after checking in to ask how to work the TV. I gave her instructions and she sounded disappointed. I reminded her that this information was on the listing and sent her the screenshot of where she could find this info. She clearly didn't read prior to checking in or booking so now I get a bad rating because guest failed to read? I reached out AirBnB to see if review could be removed, but because it did not violate any policies it couldn't be. They recommended that I just respond. I did. I just hate that guests don't read before booking!!

34 Replies 34
Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Asury-and-Adam0 It's why the whole rating system is so flawed. Unfortunately, because of the SuperHost carrot, hosts do everything they can to get a good rating. If no one cared about being a SuperHost, or there was no SuperHost, there would be a lot less stress around ratings.

It is such a frequent issue that guests don't read a listing, are not penalised for it, and can adversely affect a hosts ability to rent the space.

I recently had guests change their booking when they arrived as there was no aircon. Again, did not read the listing, but as a result I lost income as the days were then empty. I've now changed to a moderate policy so at least there is some impact to the guest if this were to happen again.

@Gillian0@Asury-and-Adam0, I am also crestfallen. Our last two bookings of the travel season here in Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada were very poor. This resulted in losing my #SuperHost status. One of them missed their 1 NIGHT check-in date & we accommodated them by providing a different room (which resulted in another guest voluntarily giving up his room so they could have a place to stay @ a cost/discount provided) which they gave us a 1-Star/5 for accuracy. We went out of our way to accommodate them. The last booking of the season was also an overnighter & our amenities list does not list a TV & she rated it based on "no TV".  The RATING SYSTEM IS FLAWED #AIRBNB. I should not have lost my SuperHost rating based on items that I feel should not be rated on (considering the individual circumstances). We should be able to counter the reviews based on the listings that were booked! I hope Airbnb is reading these.  We went out of our way this tourism season (added mini-fridges in the rooms, snacks, beverages, free-drives/pick-ups, drop-offs)! We are really reconsidering our #Airbnb involvement!

Wendy394
Level 2
Minden, Canada

I've had some reviews that I considered unfair especially a low location rating? But after 43 reviews my rating is 5 stars since most guests are happy. They read and understood the listing and saw the pictures and they booked it. So simply reply politely to this one unreasonable person. Make sure your listing is accurate and the law of averages will be on your side.

Shohreh1
Level 2
Morgan Hill, CA

Ok I believe you , there are guests especially the new ones that just heard the Airbnb’s are cheaper and more aminitues like free kitchen and fridge and sometime pool and spa , and they just look at pictures but never ever read the description , when they come they want this and that and more and more , even thought my listings had 80 five star reviews but I also had 5 totally ignorant crazy overly demanding guests that did not read descriptions and thought that I am a hotel and they have right to do whatever they like in our houses. 

Some of them for four day trip buy 20 bear and wine bottle and want to put all of it in fridge😩😂some leave TV and Ruku and lights on and their cellphone chargers on the outlet even when they are not home , some keep the windows open in 90 degree weather and ignore that the that AC is on . Some just eat and leave all their trashes in rooms or kitchen for me to pick it up . Time to say. NO NO PUT SOME  RULES . Text them and put them in rules before they book , if they do not accept either charger them on website or write about them being so bad so no more host rent them rooms. Always if they are unfair to write the review write your detail response and explain in detail what happened, and that they did not read description,😀💕🙏👍

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

@Asury

Dont waste your energy about the injustices of the star rating system but instead write your justified response under this guest review.

Either you respond or “put up or shut up” is the remaining option.

Please USE your right to reply.

Dear Guest XYZ

Thanks for reaching out to write your review.

My listing clearly states there is no cable, but it is a smart tv.

I am sorry to hear you could not use Netflix as you forgot your password.

I tried to help you follow the instructions on how to operate the tv despite the operating instructions also being clearly listed, but there is only so much I could do regarding your password.

I appreciate it when guests choose to spend their money to stay at my accommodation until they act like this

I appreciate feedback whether positive or negative so others can see the entitled guests that thankfully, I rarely have to deal with.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Asury-and-Adam0

It's should be shocking that Airbnb wouldn't remove such a stupid rating, but it dosesn't surprise me that much.

I had a negative review with low star ratings removed a few months ago. The Airbnb rep compared the complaints in the review to the information stated on the listing and also looked the communication and decided that the review was both inaccurate and retalitory (the guests caused damage in my property and then freaked out when I politely asked them to be more careful).

However, I do feel that something has changed. Now the standard response when a host reports a clearly inaccurate or retalitory review is simply "It's the guest's experience and it doesn't violate our content policy. You can always reply to it if you want." Even if they do agree to remove the review, they won't remove the ratings. They say it's not technically possible, which is not true, because in the example I gave above, the rep had no problem removing BOTH the review AND the ratings.

Sorry, this is simply not good enough. Why publish a post on these forums about how seriously they are taking this issue and protecting hosts from unjust reviews when their actions prove the exact opposite? It's just marketing, but it's insulting to any host with two brain cells. It makes my blood boil!

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

@Huma0

Regarding your last sentence......please can my onion join in too?😉

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Victoria567Lol. Yes, your onion can join. 🙂

Sorry maybe I'm getting carried away but I just had a couple of similar experiences myself and I was amazed at how the Airbnb rep just kept repeating the same standard lines like reading off a call sheet. It's like they're in lock down after being told, tell every host who calls asking for a review to be removed "It's the guest's experience."

I don't mind a guest complaining about something they didn't like. I do mind a guest saying your listing is inaccurate because they didn't read it! The rep only has to look at the listing to see that the review is actually inaccurate rather than the listing. It's not rocket science.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

@Huma0

My reply to the guest review in private feedback, would have been a simple 

Dear guest  YZ

Thanks for reaching out with your feedback.

It may have taken 3 minutes of reading my listing, to find the missing information.

For some people thought is irksome and for some people 3 minutes is an awfully long time.😉

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Victoria567 

Unfortunately not all guests are responsive to this kind of feedback. I actually messaged the guest politely telling her that the information was on the listing, in the house rules and in three of the messages I sent her so her comments/ratings about accuracy weren't quite fair. I always ask guests to confirm they've read the listing/house rules, highlighting some key points, and this guest was no exception.

She said she would amend the review. When I explained (again very politely) that she could not amend it, so I'd be grateful if she could ask Airbnb to remove it, she got really angry. Her response was:

"I am not sure how you can judge my understanding of your ‘accuracy’ isn’t it for my judgement, it is my review."

So the guest never denied that she had not read the listing/house rules/messages nor that the information wasn't there, because she had been willing to change the review once this was pointed out but not remove it. She thought she had the right to question the accuracy of something she had clearly never read. The Airbnb rep's attitude was that it was the guest's experience. When I peristed, he said he would look into it and get back to me. I never heard from him again.

I'm a new host and find it very disconcerting that communication between hosts and airbnb seems to be an issue. I had someone book our room last week for 5 days, then ask if we could extend that stay to 12 days. We were happy to do so, but did have to turn down another room request because we thought we had an agreement with the first party. Late last eve, the first party informed us that they were cancelling the whole booking. I guess I'm learning, "Don't count your chickens until they hatch"!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Nancy687this is the reason I have a Strict cancellation policy. If the guest has a valid reason for cancelling that is not covered by Airbnb's extenuating circumstances (they would get a full refund regardless of your cancellation policy in that case) and give me enough notice, I am happy to offer them a further refund if the rooms gest booked. Otherwise, sorry, I'm not going to lose money due to flaky guests.

@Nancy0 I'm sorry this happened. I quickly learned as a new host to take people's word and implied a stricy cancellation policy. 

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

@Huma0

“I am not sure how you can judge my understanding of your ‘accuracy’ isn’t it for my judgement, it is my review."........this response by the guest is patronising to say the least.

how YOU (Host) can judge my understanding = You(host) are judgemental and I( guest) am, just plain, entitled, because I’m worth it.

What a Horrible creature indeed, how do these guests keep bouncing from unsuspecting host to host?