Guest left an actual thank you note

Guest left an actual thank you note

Hi all,

I read the message board often and have received a lot of helpful information on being a better host however I have never started a conversation before with that said I just had to share my joy.

Today when I went in to clean There was an actual store bought thank you note with my name on it. Inside the sweetest sentiment about my hosting style and space.  

What is the sweetest thing a guest has left you?

Ananda

51 Replies 51
Susie111
Level 10
Tasmania, Australia

@Ananda14What a nice thread!

I was given a bouquet of flowers from a lovely Japanese guest together with a Thank you! note.

My favourite so far 🙂

Claire475
Level 9
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg

Nice topic @Ananda14 . I have had coffee from Colombia, liquorice from Holland, wine and chocolates. But the best gift any guest can give me is leaving the room clean and tidy. 

Susie111
Level 10
Tasmania, Australia

@Claire475  With a great review 😉

How much they enjoyed staying with you!

I totally agree with you @Claire475 

@Susie111 @Claire475 What thoughtful guest 🙂 I totally agree about leaving a tidy space and excellent reviews hehe

Ananda   

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Ananda14  many guests are generous, especially the one coming from a long haul flight, i get many   little presents from guests, hand made soap, their country kitchen towels, perfume, i got a Vera Wang perfume a few weeks ago, i even though the guest forgot it till she replied it was for me as she really like the apartment and enjoy her stay with her mum, she was from the US. And only last weekend a Chinese couple left 20 tips for my cleaners.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I love the foodstuffs many guests bring from their home countries. But one particular guest gave me a London Underground print (I work for LU) having seen the theme of my room when booking. It's on the wall and I love it. 

Pat347
Level 4
Edmonton, Canada

Wow that would made my day, so nice of them 🙂

Lyz---Will0
Level 4
Prestatyn, United Kingdom

It is SO lovely when guests show their appreciation, isn't it. I've had tips left on the dining table and boxes of chocolates. I also leave guests cards if I know they're coming for a specific event e.g. Birthday if anniversary. The nicest most unexpected thing has been that way back when we started I left a pad and pen for guests to use if needed and people started using it as a kind of guestbook so now, whether they review online or not, I usually have some idea they enjoyed their stay because they leave such lovely comments 😊

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

@Ananda14 

Great thread, thanks for sharing your joy! We've received quite a few gifts over the years 🙂 Not sure if I have a favourite... I liked them all, purely because they were sweet gestures of appreciation... Oh, maybe the painting one guy gave us (I wasn't even sure that he was happy here!), or the oaty bread from a fab guest - we're still using her recipe 3 years later! I probably like the notes people leave best of all. Yeah, as others have said: it's the thoughts, words and considerate behaviour that mean the most to us... (but chocs are nice, too 😉 )

Kira32
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

Hola @Ananda14 

Since I'm a host I noticed that I have even more trust in people then ever before and that no matter where people come from....

People are good if you let them be good♡

I got an orchid plant, Belgium chocolates, French wine, roses, danish cookies, English shortbread, cake, a big tip, dutch cheese, liquorice  souvenir magnets, gift box parfume with lotion an the list goes on.......

One person even got us Coffee and a croissant every single morning from the local bakery for me and my sister. 

Kira♡

Janet79
Level 4
United Kingdom

Hi @Ananda14 , that's a lovely message, little gestures like a card or small gift make all the cleaning worthwhile!!  I've had some cards and thank you messages as well as a few gifts; chocolates, flowers, wine and a plant.  One Aussie guest promised me free yoga lessons if I ever made it to Australia - though I'm not sure I'm bendy enough any more!!

Jody79
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Great thread! We've only had one guest leave us gifts, a nice family from Costa Rica gave us a goodie bag full of local items from their country, coffee, chocolate, candies and a key chain.  We've had a couple of other guests leave us nice notes on the sticky note pads we have available, those are nice to read.  Kinda gives you an extra bounce in your step as you ready the place for the next guests. 🙂

Pat258
Level 3
Glasgow, United Kingdom

I had a couple stay with me for a week.  They were really nice (I have been lucky and have not had any unpleasant guests).  On the final evening, they brought me a bunch of flowers, a box of chocolates and a beautiful sparkly butterfly card (they had noticed my penchant for butterflies) with a long note saying how they had felt at home with us and intend to stay with us again in the future.

So touching

Another guest wanted to pay to leave his bag with us for a week while he went on a long distance walk.  Of course we wouldn't accept that.  It was no trouble to put his bag in a cupboard for a week.  When he came back for his bag, he brought a novelty teapot and two mugs from a museum in the city.   Aren't these fun?

CamperVanTeapot.jpg

This week a young couple left a very sweet handwritten note and the week before another young couple left a bottle of wine as a thank you for us hanging out their washing.

People are (almost all) lovely.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

I regurarly recieve notes, cards, small presents from guests. But also guests leave items behind which are not to be considered as a present. What about a pig (a fluffy one to sleep with) or a foldable laundry basket (Huh..?) or a complete set of bedlinen (BTW i provide bedlinen...). Not to mention what is left in the fridge, i can eat/drink almost a week from those items. This week it is a heatwave in my country (and Europe) and i worked myself through icecream and canned drinks left behind. It's hard working to be a host !

Best regards,

Emiel