Guest left bad review all about Resolution Center, Airbnb won't take it down

Marc28
Level 3
West Hollywood, CA

Guest left bad review all about Resolution Center, Airbnb won't take it down

I've read in these rooms over and over how Airbnb has hosts' backs when it comes to bad reviews that are all about the Resolution Center and how they will definitely remove those as they are in violation of the reviews policy. I'm hear to say that is not at all true. I just recieved my first bad review from a guest who left our home very dirty and cause some damage. Additionally, she had more people than are legally allowed in our city at the house and never added the additonal guests to the reservation. She also tried to book an additional night outside of the platform. The entire time I was super friendly and gave her a $100 discount off her extra night. 

Despite all of that, she was very upset that I requested money through Resolution Center for the extra cleaning and damage (they burned a hole in our grass from moving a fire pit). Airbnb quickly sided with me and paid out the money. However, her review posted today and even though she says she had a great time, the rest of the review is all about the Resolution Center payouts. I figured I would simply call Airbnb and that review would be removed or modified. They just e-mailed me and said it does not violate policy and they are not taking it down. 

I feel very let down (again) by Airbnb. I worked so hard to make this guest happy and was cordial all throughout the Resolution Center process (she was not). She violated the rules and was in the wrong yet now I am the one with the bad review. I would have never asked for the extra fees had I known she could just write whatever she wanted about it in her review. It's just not worth it.

This wishy-washy arbitrary way that Airbnb handles their own policies is so disheartening when you're a good host who does everything they can to make guests happy.  Lesson to you all: Don't rent to anyone with no reviews, since it just comes back to haunt you. And also don't think Airbnb is going to enforce its rules consistently. 

5 Replies 5
Deborah8
Level 4
Bournemouth, United Kingdom

Hi Mark .. your property looks amazing and all your other reviews are great . I think you replied to that guest very well & it shows how balanced you were in your approach to this issue . Dont let it get to you , Her side of the story looks very weak to yours and i think people will see that if they read the whole story .  best of Luck 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Marc28  I read the review and don't think it violated Air BNB review guidelines since it was full of the guest's opinions.  I agree with @Deborah8 in that her review will not be a problem for the traveler who is looking for a great place.  

Thanks @Linda108 and @Deborah8. The wording is vague, but the policy says no "Content that refers to an Airbnb investigation.” To me, and seemingly many people in this Community, this means the review should be about the stay and not anything that is investigated after the stay, i.e. resolution center payments, disputes, etc. Without that policy, a host is essentially punished for attempting to be made whole. Airbnb concluded my claims were valid, so my listing shouldn't suffer for it. 

I know it's not a big deal in the scheme of things, but I'm posting mainly to express my frustration. 

Hi @Marc28, I agree that the review does not violate the airbnb terms.  I interpreted the "content refering to an airbnb investigation" to be an investigation that is still pending. Your case was already resolved in your favor when her review was published.  I had a very similar experience and I expect any host who receives a favorable resolution for a damage claim (where the guest did not agree to pay) will receive a negative review from the guest.  

Thanks so much for writing the review of her so that other hosts will know what to expect.  I hope your bad guest is now not eligible to instant book!

Jennifer62
Level 4
Montclair, NJ

We had the same experience with a guest who caused damage, AirBNB even repaid us for it, yet the guest was allowed to leave a bad review. They actually called out the safety of our home (we only have had 5 star reviews before this) because they were careless. They lied. 

Two things:

1. I called customer service during the ten day review window, as the guest did not post a review until almost the end, after I had asked for $$ towards the damages.  I was assured by the person I spoke to that as long as I didn't review the guest, their review wouldn't post. This was not true ... customer service was misinformed, as as soon as the ten day period passed (I had not reviewed the guest), up went the negative review. 

2. I do not understand how any rating review system can work if people who are being asked to pay for damages are allowed to leave reviews, especially if AirBNB decides to pay the host for the damage. This is intimidation by review.  

Mathematically, my 5 star status is gone. One careless person was allowed to do this. Every time I log on, I have to see this review. It is driving me crazy, especially as no one at AirBNB will take responsiblity for what was said to me about not reviewing the guest. At the least, I could have warned other hosts that someone who from the surface looks like a great guest is definitely not.  And, they caused over $900 worth of damage. AirBNB only reimbursed me for about $100. 

Just last week, we had a return guest from two years ago. I asked her how the house looked compared to what she remembered. She was thrilled (we had fixed the damage the other guest caused) and her review started "quality throughout ..."