Guest left bad review complaining of city water shortage after a volcano erupted. Should I dispute?

Jude19
Level 2
Manila, PH

Guest left bad review complaining of city water shortage after a volcano erupted. Should I dispute?

Had a guest check-in two days after the nearby Taal volcano erupted, blanketing the entire region with ash. Because of clean-up and other issues, water pressure was low in the area. I had sent them my usual "have a nice stay, contact me for any problems" message upon their check-in. But I didn't hear from them up until the night just before they checked out, only then did they complain about the water shortage. Apparently, they didn't even communicate with the building staff, who were right there and ready to deliver water as needed. I decided to send them a partial refund for their troubles. I messaged them about the money I sent back but they didn't even acknowledge it. So it was much to my annoyance that when their review went live they had posted that my place had no water. I've already responded to them, but not sure exactly if and how I need to escalate this further. Airbnb had even posted a public notice to expect issues with reservations in light of the eruption. I have been a host for many years with many good reviews, while they are a first time Airbnb guest with no reviews. Anyway, hoping for some guidance.

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

I think that 'things out of your control' allow you to have the review removed. Please let me know if I am right!

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Jude19 

As soon as you gave them a discount, you accepted partial responsibility for an act of God, that was brought to their attention and completely out of your control.

All you've done now is given these unreasonable Guests carte blanche to inflict this behaviour on the next host that comes their way.

Move on and accept you've played a bad hand in poker.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Jude19, now I think I've seen it all. They cannot be serious, blaming you for this. Perhaps they didn't realise the low water pressure had to do with the volcano. But given that they did contact you to complain about the water shortage, when presumably you would have explained the reason, the review they left is inappropriate and just mean-spirited. And it is the height of rudeness to not even acknowledge your rebate. These people do not deserve to be Airbnb guests, full stop. I just wish you'd left them a negative review so they could not impose their bad behaviour on other hosts.

Anyway, I would totally ring Airbnb and ask them to remove the review on the grounds that the situation was out of your control. You might have some luck. Otherwise, I think your public response to the review definitely puts it in perspective for other guests - I would be able to see it for what it is. Best of luck and let us know how you go.

Jude19
Level 2
Manila, PH

I'm pretty sure they were aware of the eruption because aside from the international news coverage, Airbnb also sent out a notice about it affecting hosting and guests around the area. Hosts from unaffected areas were even encouraged by Airbnb to take in those who had reservations in the towns most affected by the eruption.

The thing was, I didn't even know about the water issues (I don't live in the same building) until just before they checked out when they finally sent me a message. I live even closer to the volcano that erupted and so the ashfall and water problems were even a bigger issue at my home, and so had my hands a bit full but I would have been ready to dash over if only they had let me know about the problem. But they sent no reply to my earlier message asking if everything was ok upon check-in, so I just assumed their silence meant all was well. Apparently, the building staff had also informed residents of the issues but they may have missed out on the bulletin. There's a 24/7 guard at the lobby though and a handyman on call (who they met at check-in) whom they could have easily asked for info or help. I sent them several messages in response to their complaint about the water shortage (first to apologize and explain, and then about the partial refund) but they never responded to any of them. I'm based in the Philippines so calling Airbnb is a bit more of a hassle. I'm waiting for some advice from a fellow host here who also had issues with an unfair review about how she escalated it.

Jude19
Level 2
Manila, PH

The bad review didn't really affect my score so I just let it slide, as my friend advised. Just checked my listing preview now and it appears that the bad review seems to have been either scrubbed out or buried somewhere as I can't find it.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Jude19  It comes up for me as the first review.

I would ask Airbnb to remove it.

I agree with others don't offer refunds for issues outside of your control.