Guest left early....refund back to her???

Cathy29
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Guest left early....refund back to her???

I had a mom booked her 23 yr old daughter in to my home for 5 nights because she was to start a new job and look for an apartment in my neighborhood.  Daughter arrived on Sunday night. She came back to my house about 4pm this afternoon, Tuesday, and told me she was very unhappy and had quit her job.  She was going to pack up and drive back to her hometown, which she did.  This leaves 2 open nights (Wed/Thurs). How much am I required to refund back to this booking?  I can't find anything written. I don't want to be greedy and keep both nights fee but there is no way I could flip the room to have it be available again for tomorrow.  Thanks for any feedback!

7 Replies 7
Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

@Cathy29 Stick to your cancellation policy, which is set at Strict. Then refund (or not) according to that policy. They were aware of this when they booked, or should have been. Hope that helps! Karen

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I agree.

When you set your cancellation policy - it tells you what the terms are. If you have strict you don't have to refund and there is no reason to, for a simple change of mind. Look at Cancellation policy and you will see it written down.

If you like you can say if she cancels and you are able to relet the property, then if you like you can offer a partical refund for any remaining nights minus BNB and cleaning fees.

Debbie62
Level 2
Forest Park, IL

To my knowledge, you have no obligation to refund anything. The cancellation policy is effective before check-in.
Lyndsey2
Level 10
Stonington, CT

I'm confused by these answers. Isn't it up.to the guest to cancel the remaining dates from her end? Then Airbnb will refund what's appropriate according to your cancellation policy?

You need to accept a cancellation request.  AirBnB will stand behind you if you choose not to accept the early departure.  I don't agree with the other posters here, the decision you make should be a business decision.  If you want this customer back you may choose to make an offer to give a credit to a future stay.  This is a better "Customer Service" approach to the situation.  The other posters are correct though, you are under no obligation to accept a cancellation when your policy is strict.

Good Luck

Cj41
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Nope. 

Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

NO REFUNDS