Guest left good reviews but low rating

Bo24
Level 4
Copenhagen, Denmark

Guest left good reviews but low rating

My recent guest left me good review comments and thanked me in private feedback but with low ratings, which basicly lower my 5 stars status.  They rated my location 3, but wrote the review is close to metro. I'm really not sure everyone and airbnb's standard about 5 stars location. The guest see the location already when they book the place, how comes they could rate it now. 

28 Replies 28
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Bo24

Sorry, it is just the way it is sometimes.  Reviews are subjective.  I have been rated 3* for location too even though I am located right in the core of the city center close to everything including the best city center hotels.  

Unfortunately guests have the right to ding hosts for their own mistakes like not reading the map properly before booking.

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Bo24: Join another discussion here - maybe it's time to start rating guests as well. In that other topic I described how I was scored 3*, and now wait for what: for accepting the guest's luggage early (8 am), but not letting him use the room (there were other guest, ffs). **

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

In fact! it would be fair to see the guest's rates and based the Instant Book according that. Some people wouldn't travel trough airbnb.... it's ridiculous to pretend arriving early and have access to the room/apartment... I suggest you to inform the guest (again and again) that they can leave the luggage but may not have access to the room...

@Marzena0  : oh heck,  tagging is not working again yet ...!

I think we really do need a better system for rating guest and seeing them;  however I don't have much hope for ABB taking more responsibility here.

Hollie6
Level 10
Page, AZ

I recently had the same experience and its really disappointing when you strive for 5 star reviews! My guest left a great review then rated it 3 star and never said why. I'm guessing they are people who are not familiar with airbnb and don't realize how much that affects us. Some people will simply never give 5 stars becasue they are never truly satisfied.

The easiest thing to do is simply block guests that leave less then a five star review. I've had numerous repeat stays from 3-4 star guests, and they don't 'get' that anything less then five stars is a vote to remove you from airBNB. For these guests, it's not worth the risk of hosting them again, so flag their message, classify it as "something else" then block them.

How do you block them?  I have a guest ding me on location in which she chose the location, and another ding me because she didn't have a blow dryer.  We have several blow dryers she never asked for one.  I would prefer these people never come back.

I have guests complaining because I didn't have bottled water and flour. I never promised that. Do people read the house description??? 

Vanessa451
Level 2
Belmont North, Australia

I think that is true Holly. Some people are just really picky and don't realise how much the rating affects people's decisions to book. One lady I had complained of things like food being in the freezer. Does everyone check their freezer after every guest? Maybe it should be listed as a must do. This person felt it was far fetched to say that it would affect other people booking. But I'm not so sure about that. How do others feel?

@Hollie6wrote:

I recently had the same experience and its really disappointing when you strive for 5 star reviews! My guest left a great review then rated it 3 star and never said why. I'm guessing they are people who are not familiar with airbnb and don't realize how much that affects us. Some people will simply never give 5 stars becasue they are never truly satisfied.

Oh,  I just had a three-star that left in private comments:

"there was stuff under the bed" (yes,   an airbed.   Used by the guests that checked out that morning).

"and strewn around the closet" (yes,  we leave extra pillows,  cases,  blankets,  etc)

"and how the bed was made"  (or somesuch;   we try really hard and even iron the sheets...)

Janet91
Level 1
Glenwood, Canada

It sseems to me that the only place I get dinged is in the location.  I was wondering the same thing ass you.  Guests write in the review that is is a perfect place for those visiting a specific place - which most of my guests are visiting - and yet thye give a lower rating.  I am trying to not take it personalloy .  I have even reviewed my listing.  It is very clear and concise I believe.  I love hosting for the most part - I love the diversity of people I meet.  I cannto say that I have really had a bad experience.  It is truly frustrating to receive such kind remarks and then be given a lower rating.  😞

Cynthia149
Level 2
Ceres, CA

I just had a similar situation where they left me 5 stars (luckily) and a good review but in private,   told Airbnb that my rooms were so close together,  she felt like the hosts were on top of her. In turn, I got a message from Airbnb stating that there were in accuracies in my profile. I think this is ridiculous. My home is not a Kardashian home, it's 1600 sq. Ft.  Are we obliged to send a diagram of our home now? I changed my profile to state that the bedrooms are in close proximity to one another and if they want a secluded space,  this may not be the property for them. I just don't want this to happen again where a guests is disappointed due to the layout  of my home.

Hi it still will not stop them from hurting your in the feedback.

I was told that creating a little card with perhaps a gift card, can help.  Perhaps you could state : Please know that your feedback can affect our future bookings and we love to know how we can improve future stays. If you feel that things were not as described et us know and so we can offer a special discount or refund  to compensate for what they felt was  inaccurate in the description. 

Cynthia149
Level 2
Ceres, CA

I just had a similar situation where they left me 5 stars (luckily) and a good review but in private,   told Airbnb that my rooms were so close together,  she felt like the hosts were on top of her. In turn, I got a message from Airbnb stating that there were in accuracies in my profile. I think this is ridiculous. My home is not a Kardashian home, it's 1600 sq. Ft.  Are we obliged to send a diagram of our home now? I changed my profile to state that the bedrooms are in close proximity to one another and if they want a secluded space,  this may not be the property for them. I just don't want this to happen again where a guests is disappointed due to the layout  of my home.