Guest lied about his group and number of guests

Answered!
Heather293
Level 2
New Orleans, LA

Guest lied about his group and number of guests

This is only the second time I’ve accepted a booking through Airbnb. I have a small but very nice home in a popular area which was completely renovated a year ago, and I keep it spotless. I don’t want to accept a lot of guests and my home is priced accordingly. I have an extra charge for guests above 4 adults since there are only two bedrooms (there is an air mattress for max 2 more guest). I have instant book turned off because I want to be able to ask about the group before accepting the booking. I don’t know if this is against Airbnb’s discrimination policy, but I do not want to rent to groups of young men looking for a party location.

The current guest requested to book and said he was traveling with his wife and another couple and a fifth person. I reminded him that the fifth person would have to use the air mattress and he said this was fine. I have a security camera on my front porch and I usually glance at the clips when they check in to be sure all goes smoothly with keyless entry. This time, I was worried to see that the guest and his group were 6 young men, not 2 couples as he told me. I then looked at further clips showing them smoking on the front porch (my rules clearly state no smoking anywhere on the property, including the porch and front yard), as well as shouting “Hey motherf—s!” to one another at approximately 2am in a quiet residential neighborhood.

They are still there and due to check out Sunday. I don’t know yet whether there is any damage - I will find out after they have left.

I am wondering what recourse I have since the guest lied to me about the content and number of guests.

It is not as though his plans/guests changed - he told me the day of arrival that he was arriving at a certain time and his friend and his wife would be showing up a bit later. So it was a deliberate lie.

I am more than a little worried about this and after reading through some of the other posts, I’m worried I have zero recourse as it sounds like Airbnb doesn’t do much for hosts in the case of broken rules or additional guests. It seems as though my only option is to charge them for the 6th person and perhaps an additional cleaning fee.

1 Best Answer
Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hi everyone,

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Paula_0-1700501130469.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

View Best Answer in original post

52 Replies 52

Hello,

This is very helpful. I am a new host. I just had an additional guest without a fee. A father visted his daughter and had her spend the weekend, which meant use of the additional twin bed without compensation. My rates are ridculously low as a new host as it is! I let it pass, but I am learning as I go. 

I have a 1 bedroom Queen with and additional Twin bed in the living room set up as the couch. What I am finding is that when I set it for 2 people (think Queen bed), people seem to be bringing the additional without compensation. I have Instant Booking on now. I have a guest coming this weekend. After reading this, I just sent him a confirmation note stating use of the additional Twin bed as a sleeping arrangement, will result in an additonal $20 fee. Does this feel like it's within the bounds? 

I am curious about the rental agreement that was mentioned here. Is this ok with ABNB? Would you be willing to share more about that? 

Thanks so much, it's great learning from all of you.

Sheri

Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

Hi @Heather293  It's so difficult in the beginning & really is a learn as you go experience. I'm sorry this happened to you! You have the security camera footage to prove it, so you could confront the guest - if not about the lie about it being couples, at least about the additional person, and at least send a request for payment for the additional person through the Resolution Centre.

Personally I think an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure -- so in future,  I'd put something strongly worded in your House Rules along the lines of: "Confirmed guests only. Please be advised there is a security camera located on the property and we monitor guest numbers. The presence of unconfirmed guests will result in immediate cancellation by AirBNB and termination of your stay. "

Problem solved - as that will give anyone looking to pull a fast one second thoughts. And if not, then follow through with the threat. It's in your House Rules. Also, maybe put in a House Rule about quiet time hours - 10 pm - 8 am or whatever - anyone yelling obscenities off your deck between those hours is breaking a House Rule & that is also grounds for eviction.

It's your place, your rules. You don't have to put up with this - as long as your rules are clearly stated. But you have to be prepared to enforce your rules - Airbnb won't do that for you. They may not even compensate you for broken ones, it's up to you to make them clear, as well as the consequences for breaking them & then follow through. Best of luck with your listing! I hope that helps - Karen

@Karen-and-Brian0  Exceptional good advice! It is best to prevent things than to fix them later, via Airbnb or otherwise. I believe this is why Airbnb has become the 'heavy' in many hosting situations, and also so impossible to even get a hold of. They simply can't guarantee human behavior. It is always best to prevent or solve a potential 'problem' on the spot than expect Airbnb to solve it later.  Just in case.

Absolutely agree @Fred13. Airbnb is really just the booking service - the day to day operations are entirely in our hands as hosts. 

Yes, this is quite true, your rules may allow you to evict someone but always keep in mind that no matter how egregious the offense you will NOT BE PAID for the rest of their reservation regardless of your cancellation policy 

ABB maybe, might, could potentially allow payment to stand but many hosts have been told (myself included) that guests could be asked to leave but they would be refunded. 

Yes @Kelly149, you're absolutely right. Unfortunately, the way things are now, it comes down to a choice - you either allow/tolerate the breaking of your House Rules & get paid or you stand your ground with the understanding that there is a risk that you may not be paid. It begs the question - what's the point of having House Rules if you feel you can't enforce them?? This is something Airbnb needs to address and soon. We're very fortunate in that we aren't dependent on our Airbnb income, so eviction without payment is an option for us - but I know this isn't the case for many hosts. It just flies in the face of the whole original concept of hosts having control over what happens in their homes & I really feel for anyone trapped in this dilemma.  - Karen

@Karen-and-Brian0 yes, you're right & that's why I mention it every time it comes up in this thread. ABB stance on this is so counter to what so many hosts believe that it bears repeating over and over. Your rules may give you justification for cancelling someone, but you will not be paid. And you may be stuck with a dreadful review that abb won't remove either. 

I actually understand why abb won't pay out an entire amount when a guest is removed (presumably the guest still needs to stay somewhere) but there should be a fine/penalty so that host is not completely uncompensated and that guest should forfeit the right to leave a review and the guest should have a review posted for them "This guest was removed for House Rules Violations".

ABB has shown that they are super serious about host cancelleations, how about showing hosts that Rules mean something and are actually enforceable?

Reading this i 've noticed that most host have similar  problem with guest breaking house rules, lying, etc  yet as community why are we not able to address this issues with Airbnb to come up with solutions?  After all this was part of what airbnb promised: host share their space, their rules, air bnb provide liability  protection and host is compensated  so why is Airbnb not following the promise since every host is putting their house at risk by hosting and with Airbnb choosing not to assist host with cretin issues is very frustrating therefore leaving host powerless, voiceless and sometimes unpaid damage bills  with some claims not covered by airbnb.

I am dealing with a crazy situation.   I have had several: smokers, raves,  the woman who peed in cat litter.   But this one really gets to me.   A guy lied about why he was renting.   He said he had a new job in Portland and was house hunting.   When he arrived, I knew things were wrong.  He reeked.   I mean really REEKED.   Like feces, urine and vomit.   He was filthy and his clothes were filthy (but he said he'd come from the office?)   He had no socks and horrible reeking feet and a battered, almost beyond use suitcase.  I let him in but left and called Air B and B.   I asked him if he'd go and gave him suggestions where.   He freaked out, called Air B and B and said it was because he was gay.  Oh my Lord.   He said he'd get his clothes clean and his twitchiness was just being in a new situation.   I spend 24 hours in agony and by the next night, when he'd never left my home to work, and the stench made the house uninhabitable from the room and he wouldn't answer phone, email or text, AND he flooded the entire bathroom, ruining my cabinets and breaking glass all over....I marched in the room and told him to get out.  The smell was unbearable and I called Air B and B.  They were moderatly helpful but of course I'd be docked for cancellling.   At that point I didn't give a **bleep** as you can imagine.   He left, stealing my comforter, my pillows, my mugs, my glasses and when he was gone I discovered feces everywhere: coating walls, on the floors and rugs.  Liquid feces on the desk.  My mattresses all soaked through.    I stayed up ALL NIGHT, hauling things outside and borrowed a truck, took it all to the dump.  I have been dealing with Air B and B ever since to little avail.  I have talked to at least 15 people and the ways they avoid dealing are unbelievable.   My grandmother's heirloom quilt was fouled and I had to take it to the dump too.  There is no receipt for that.   It was my daughter's room and, fool that I am, since I am SO over the top respectful as a guest, I left it on the bed.   I can't host the next people either physically (no mattresses, towels or rugs: all dumped or at cleaner in the case of wool ruh) or emotionally.   I have a few expensive items and thank God they were not stolen.  I would have no recourse.    I am still hoping for some resolution but don't have much hope.   The idea you can pose as anybody, do anything in a person's home and violate them completely makes me sick.       Anne

Anne405, thank you for this post. Reading your extreme situation has made me realize..It could be worse... I've enjoyed being a host for three years now and have only had one maybe two bad instances during that time. A great record!

In the past week, however, Iv'e had a set of guests who asked politely to smoke marijuana (to which I replied, "No." only to leave every 15 minutes to smoke in there car from 5PM until 3AM. There car was parked in the street in front of our house. So naturally our neighbors called the police, who then cased their car and my house! We ended up resolving the situation by having a discussion with them the following morning. 

Even now I am facing a dilemma with my current guest who is staying this night. This guest booked for two guests. Six people arrived and we were given her word that only her and her friend were actually staying. There are actually four girls staying. I am faced with having to message her tomorrow morning, telling her that she will now need to pay the same amount she initially paid to cover the cost listed in my description for extra guests.  Iv'e contacted Airbnb and am instructed to let them know if she refuses to pay...although I'm not sure what action could be taken then. (Thank goodness we have cameras).

I agree with you, it gives me a sick feeling that people can/will take advantage of the hard work and care I put into each and every guest. I guess I'm just having bad luck this week.

Thank you for sharing!

Karen and Brian---How DO you enforce rules if people are fouling your home with feces, lying, won't leave etc.  ?   Short of cops and that doesn't always work in my city if they put on a good show and have a paid reservation.   What are the consequences?    Thank you.   

Carol-Lee1
Level 9
Montevallo, AL

That is the reason I like to greet people when they arrive and show them around.  I leave a copy of my house rules and point it out to them as part of the “tour”.  I agree with the others however that you should have approached them immediately when you found out they were lying.  I also do not allow smoking but I do have an outdoor area where they can smoke and I provide ashtrays.  That way if they do smoke it’s in an area that won’t botger anyone or smell up my house.  I too have cameras and signs on the property indicating that I am recording outside.  So far, so good.  Since I am in a college town I’m always careful to make sure students aren’t renting for a party.  

Thank you all for your advice.  I really appreciate all of the tips.  It does seem incredibly unfair that if a guest deliberately violates the house rules, that the host is the one who suffers by not getting paid if we choose to evict them.  

The guests left and surprisingly nothing was damaged. They even put the dishes in the dishwasher and the dirty towels in the washing machine. I have to say I’m shocked by this as I had reviewed the security footage and they were talking about vomiting and losing their security deposit. It smelled a bit of beer but that was all. 

I was too nervous to approach them while they were there, because I thought they would be resentful and would leave a bad review, or worse, cause damage to my home.  They were only staying 2 nights, so asking for extra payment would have only been an extra $50 for me (I have this set at $25 per night per additional guest - maybe too low?).  Even after the fact, I have decided not to request the additional money for the 6th guest, because I don’t want a bad review.

I am not too sure how the reviews work - can he see my review before he writes his review?

Here is what I’m planning to write. Does it sound appropriate and fair?

2 stars out of 5. 

Nick requested to book my home and said they were a group of 2 couples and a 5th person. I was disappointed to find that his group was actually a group of 6 young men. He did not inform me of changes to the content of the group nor the number of guests. They arrived late and were shouting obscenities at approximately 2am with no regard for my neighbors. They also disregarded my clear rules about no smoking anywhere on the property. They did not appear to have smoked indoors but my rules prohibit smoking on the front porch or anywhere on the property - I was left to clean up cigarette ashes and used cigarettes on the front porch. Indoors, there was no damage and they did put the dishes in the dishwasher and the used towels in the washing machine, which I appreciated. They were not terrible guests - just very rowdy. This is the reason for 2 stars instead 0. However I don’t like being lied to about who is in my home and I really didn’t like the smoking on my property.

Hi @Heather293 Sounds fine to me but you have to be careful not to let the emotion of the moment come into it - which is very hard to do I know! I find it's best to wait a week or so to let things settle before you write that review. You have 14 days to leave a review - he won't see yours before he writes one & visa versa. They won't be posted until you both have left a review or until the 14 days are up, if only one of you does. You also have the option of writing a reply to his review of you.  At least I think this is still an option - some people have said that feature has disappeared, but I still have it.

Other hosts really appreciate it when a host outlines the stars given in their review, that alone is very telling without any need for further explanation - and hosts can always contact you & ask for the details before they accept this guest. But if you'd like a give a brief explanation with each star category, that's great too. For example:  Cleanliness - 4 stars, communication 2 stars - stated there were 2 couples & a 5th guest, they were 6 men (if you're sure absolutely sure they weren't gay couples, because that's a possibility?), observance of House Rules - 2 - smoked on the property, did not observe quiet time & disturbed my neighbours, etc. End with something positive to say, if possible - like "better suited to a hotel" haha or "I wish X the best in his travels and hope that in his future homestays he will adhere to the standards that have made AirBnB such a successful platform for hosts and guests.” I saw that somewhere here & loved it, so saved it. 

Prospective guests are able to search out the reviews you've given other guests and you want to come across as fair, not difficult. Not that you sound like you are difficult, not at all. You sound like a responsible, caring homeowner.

I think the security camera is a blessing & a bit of a curse. I monitor check in & comings & goings to make sure we have the same number there as were booked, but turn the volume off so I can't overhear conversations because ours is at the front door & overlooks the deck. In my case, I learned that it's just better not to see the guests dragging my white down duvets outside or roasting marshmallows on the fire table. The yelling at 2 am is pretty hard to overlook though - that disturbed your neighbours & is totally unacceptable.

Try & put these guests behind you & now on to the next - and the next ones will be stellar guests. There are far more good guests than bad ones, so try not to let this get you down or put you off. It can only get better. 🙂 Hope that helps & best of luck with your future bookings  - Karen

Thank you so much for this advice @Karen-and-Brian0.  I am rewriting my review to include the wording you suggested.  Waiting before posting the review is good advice too.  I am trying not to let emotion go into it, which is hard when someone is disrespectful of one's home.  

They definitely were not gay couples.  In his original booking request, he said "my wife and I, my friend and his wife, and a friend of ours."  Even on the day of arrival when I wrote to ask what time they would arrive, he referred to the wives in the message.  So it was a deliberate deception.  He probably lied because he assumed (correctly) that I would have turned down his booking request if he had told the truth - that they were a group of 6 guys in their 20s.  It may be discriminatory, but I know guys in the 20s are coming to New Orleans to party, not to take architectural tours. 

I agree with you about the security cameras. I'm glad I have them, for security as well as being able to ensure guests have checked in with no issues, etc.  But hearing everything they say is not productive - when I saw this group, I did review most of the footage because I was so nervous about them, and it just made me more anxious, listening to them talking about vomiting everywhere and losing their security deposit(!).  Otherwise I wouldn't have looked at the footage unless there was an issue after the stay.

In the end, everything is fine with my house, so I am relieved and grateful for that.  I have only had a few guests so far, and these were only the 2nd through Airbnb.  A friend who has rented her home told me she gets better behaved guests on another platform and I have quite a few bookings from that one - I like that you can require the guests to purchase insurance and you can set a minimum age (kind of like car rental companies do).  Airbnb doesn't seem to offer that. I've decided to raise my rates and cleaning fees on Airbnb to compensate for this and definitely won't be using Instant Book.

Again, thank you so much for your advice - I really do appreciate it.  I had no idea the community forum would be so helpful, welcoming and encouraging!