Guest locked me out of my home

Jared50
Level 1
Dallas, TX

Guest locked me out of my home

I had two gentleman stay in my room for rent ( I live in the other room) for a one night stay. They went out to party and drink...I came home at midnight and the door was deadbolted from inside. I banged on the door for awhile and they never woke up. Didn't have phone with me, but clearly that couldn't have helped. The following morning after sleeping in my cold car, I banged on the door again to no avail...left for coffee came back and they were gone. 

What would you do?

11 Replies 11
Dawn40
Level 1
Suitland-Silver Hill, MD

You should leave clear instructions for guests not use the deadlock. I don't think you should rate them negatively, as it was an honest mistake.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Your home, Your responsibility.

Hide a spare key, make many copies, give a key to the neighbor.

Get a lock box for key. 

Get a code entry for deadbolt and handle....

Have a secret entry method (unlocked window?)

You must have entry to your property at all time. It is necessary

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

You could tape over the deadbolt so that they can't turn it.

Write "Do Not Use Deadbolt" 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

At least the guests, even being 'out of it', were conscientious enough to do lock the door, not always the case.

'Stuff' happens, I bet in the future you will have spare keys all over the place. 🙂

Andy184
Level 6
Albuquerque, NM

You should really get one of the electronic deadbolts, then you could have used the code yourself (or issued an unlock command from your watch).

City-Limits-Ranch0
Level 10
Watsonville, CA

I would fix it so that it is impossible for the guests to lock you out. 

Carol407
Level 4
St. Louis, MO

I would hope that your home has more than one door with locks.  Make sure you carry keys for every lock in your house.    If your problem was keyless deadbolt, then shame on you.  As a host, care and prudence is totally on you now.  Airbnb has shifted service from host to guest.  The best you can do is give a bad review and report the guest.  I know I will not be as generous to guest reviews as I used to be. 

Grant70
Level 1
Halifax, Canada

Every response here is so unhelpful and useless. 

@Grant70  In that case, why don't you offer what you would consider a helpful and useful response?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

How rude @Grant70 

What would you suggest which would be helpful?????

Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

Haha... LOL. I cannot help stop laughing. Is this for real?