Guest logic - bwuhahahahaha!

Answered!
Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

Guest logic - bwuhahahahaha!

Well, we knew it would happen one day folks!

My wife and I received our first 4/5 star reviews from some overseas guests, but thankfully it wasn't for the 'overall' rating, it was for the lower level down.  It's fine really, but I wanted to share the most entertaining reason of all time for 'why' we (our listing) was rated less than 5 stars for location and value...

Apparently New Zealand is much larger than they realised, which was not made clear in our listing.

Yep.  Not kidding.  This meant they couldn't drive around and see all the sights they had on their checklist in the time they had.  They wanted to see things across 4 different locations, in 1 week, all of which are in different cities that are several hours drive apart!

Now, I can do many things... but moving bits of New Zealand closer together is rather outside my capability.

Unless.... *dusts off black-hole transporter plans*

1 Best Answer
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ben551 @Graham-And-Michelle0 

This thing about distance does come up often Ben!

Overseas guests, (and I do include New Zealanders in this) have absolutely no concept of how big Australia really is!

I had Tracy from Basingstoke here in 2011 and while she was planning her trip she said...."If we hire a car at Uluru (Ayers Rock)  and leave at 9 in the morning, what time will we get to Adelaide in the afternoon?"......

She just didn't think it looked very far on the map!

distance.png

The distance from Uluru to Adelaide is 1,700 Kms....

Try hopping in the car and setting off from London at 9 in the morning and see what time in the afternoon you would arrive in Rome!

Cheers......Rob

View Best Answer in original post

60 Replies 60

@Kelly0. Now that is funny as HELL!!! LOLOLOLOL.

Thomas1033
Level 10
North Tonawanda, NY

@Ben551 hahahaha lol you made me belly laugh!!!  We are in Between Buffalo NY and Niagara Falls.  Also been dinged for location and not sure why because we allow our place to be pinned accurately on the map.  I too come here late at night to see if there are any new posts.  It has been dead for bookings for us since Christmas and we just tonight have repeat guests but under a different name for 3 days.  Hoping for improvement!  Cheers!  Yvonna. (Cohost and Toms significant other)

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

I recently had a similar experience with guests traveling from the west coast.  They flew into Houston but booked my listing which is located in San Antonio.  The two cities are over 200 miles apart. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Ben551, I misread this line *dusts off black-hole transporter plans* as *dusts off black-hole transporter PANTS*

I am thinking I want some of those.

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

Lmao @Sandra126 hey those sound fun!

Jody79
Level 10
Chicago, IL

We keep getting a star knocked off for location as well since we aren't closer to downtown.

Cindi0
Level 7
Bowen Island, Canada

Me as well. I explain so clearly in my listing details exactly where I am. It's in the forest, and no it is not walking distance to the cove (I live on an island) or the ferry dock, and you will need a car (or if you choose to cycle here you best be in tip top shape). I even provide the altitude! But if I get anything less than 5* it will be for location. It seems people decide that your being clear about your location is no substitute for the fact you are still not by the ocean! (to be fair, anything is no more than a 10-min drive). 

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Jody79@Cindi0  it seems silly to me that Airbnb allow this sort of review mentality from guests.  If a guest wants to be in a particular location, then books a listing that isn't in that location, the host shouldn't be held over the coals for bad decision making on the part of the guest... but that's how their system appears to work.

Absolutely!!

@Jody0. Have you thought about adding the distance in your details of your home decription, if you haven't already?

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Ben551,

Yes, we’ve seen a few of these too, such as (comments from the reason for the lower location rating):

• Perfect
  • Clearly the best building in the area
Diane96
Level 2
Tulare, CA

I have a cabin in the Sequoias in California and have been given less than 5 stars for location. It’s right off the main road and clearly represented accurately on the map. You just can’t please everyone... 

Alice270
Level 2
The Villages, FL

Similar just happened to me.  Guest gave 4 of 5 stars for location.  I live in a resort. Before booking I gave her the exact GPS route to the activity she was interested in.  In her review she laments that her activity wasn't closer to my house (it was Dragon Boat racing on a lake), and admits that I told her how far it would be, but still gives me 4 stars on location. First non 5 star review. Unbelievable!!

Susan653
Level 10
Groton, CT

Sorry that happened, @Ben551, but glad you have such a great sense of humor about it! 🙂

I got an overall 4-star (and lengthy negative comments) from a guest last year who was unhappy about "road noise" from the interstate located a few acres back from our property. That would be the road noise I fully disclose in my listing and for which I provide earplugs,  just in case (which guests rarely use).

Hmm, come to think of it, there's been quite a bit of construction a few miles down the road. Maybe the state would be be amenable to coming up here and rerouting I-95 so it doesn't run so close to my house while they're at it?

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

Oh wow, that’s ludicrous @Susan653 - it defied all logic...