Guest makes a total mess of checking in: consequences?

Michael1322
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Guest makes a total mess of checking in: consequences?

It's 2am, and I've spent 14 hours of my day waiting for an AirBnB guest to arrive. 

All preparation was normal. Check in details were sent and replied to days in advance. In a further message, I asked for an estimated check in time a day before arrival. The designated check in time is 11am-3pm. 

I received no response, so waited in the flat from 10am-4.30pm. After the designated time was finished, I sent the guest a message asking again for an estimated arrival time, explaining that the designated time was finished, and that I would be away from the flat - but flexible to return at any specified time. 

I got back to my flat around 6.30pm, and then sent another message to confirm I was back waiting at the flat. I contacted AirBnB by phone and by message to raise the issue of non-arrival/non-responsiveness from a guest.

I received no message from the guest until 1.20am - stating that the guest had just arrived and was on his way. I replied that I was ready to meet him. I then received another message from the guest at 1.47am claiming he had tried to send previous messages, had arrived at the flat earlier that day but had found no one inside. He had then booked a hotel for the night.

In my opinion, this is simply a case of poor communication on the guest's part. But could he claim a part refund if he really did turn up while I was out the flat? Or is it entirely unreasonable to expect a host to be at a flat for a full 24 hours in a day, especially when various messages have asked for clarity on arrival times and even been clear when no one was in the property?

6 Replies 6
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

You have done your duty.

Guest may claim. Airbnb may or may not refund.

Airbnb may or may not contact you for permission. Tell them what you told us. Then let it go.

Tomorrow's another day

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

It is unreasonable, @Michael1322, to expect THAT much from a host. However, as @Paul154 said, there may be various scenarios of how the matter will be handled by Airbnb... You've got solid evidence in the message system and don't forget to mention it to Airbnb. I guess I would write a statement to them even before the guest decides to do so.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

It could be a glitch, ie. although you only receievd the messages after 1am, he had originally sent them much earlier. But by getting Airbnb involved as you did, they *should* be on your side. 

Peter682
Level 2
Arncliffe, Australia

This is really a no show. They never canceled, they never checked in. It is the next day we are talking about and unless you allow such check ins then you should be entitled to your payment.

I expect guests to be about an hour after the time they say.

You have gone above and beyond to accommodate your guest. Only thing I suggest is to always ask the guest well in advance what time they expect to arrive. They don't always read the listing and think that any time is OK. On occasions you may have to tactfully ask several times.

I have a key safe I use if guests are ariving when I can not be there. Works well.

Michael1322
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Thanks for the replies everyone. 

He had a few unfortunate events, and arrived the next day. It was just quite stressful waiting so long for someone without any communication, and knowing that the rules can be subjective!

Issue solved.

Perhaps a limit (no arrivals after 10pm for example) may help with such an odd event in the future.