Guest making me very uncomfortable before he has even arrived

Stuart13
Level 1
Weehawken, NJ

Guest making me very uncomfortable before he has even arrived

** VERY TIME SENSITIVE.  NEED RESPONSE WITHING THE NEXT HOUR ***

My next guest arrives later today.  My listing says check in is 4:00 pm and as I do with all guest, I reminded him of the check-in time.

He messaged today saying he had landed and asked what time check in was.  Though I told him already and my listing says 4:00 pm, I kindly reminded him anyway.

He then asked if he could come an hour early.  I said normally I would but I have toi clean and prepare after last guest checked out. He said that is a ridiculously late check in time and said that if he had known,  he would not have planned ot stay with me.  He should have known since not only is it in my listing, but I messaged him saying as such.

He's obviously not reading my messages and did not read the listing.  Further evidence of this is that though I say in my listing that it is a shared space.  Had he known that he wouldn't have said "make sure youre available when I come later tonight so I know where to get the key."  One of his reviews said that after he had left his credit card declined with a bar in the city which the host had to pay for.    

He doesn't even have a photo.  At this point I feel very incomfortable as he is being very rude and unapologetic despite his errors. I offered to refund him since he isn't happy with the situation but he still wants to come.  I am very inconvenienced as I still don't know what time he will be arriving and I have to visit my grandmother in the hostpial after her recent stroke.

I want to cancel with him.  I won't have an issue with him confrtoning me in person if I cancel, because i have a doorman and he doesn't know which condo I am in.  Am I within my rights to cancel at such short notice without incurring a penalty?  Thank you in advance!

15 Replies 15
Stephanie6
Level 10
Boulder, CO

Hi @Stuart13, Why not offer to let him checkin early so you will be able to visit your grandmother?  If you cancel, you will be penalized.  If you are still uncomfortable once he does arrive, contact airbnb.

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Tips-Tricks/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

Sorry. I left that part out.  I did tell him that if he doesn't mind that his sheets will still be in the wash, he could come early.  That's when he responded without even addressing what I offered by saying "Just make sure youre there when I arrive so I can get my keys."  So I still have no idea when he is coming.  Very aggressive and inconsiderate of my time.  I have screenshots of the convo if necessary. I really want to cancel this so I can make it to the hospital in time.  Either way I will have to leave in a few hours whether he's here or not.  What do I do?

Debi1
Level 10
Portland, OR

Call Airbnb Customer Service.  They will tell you that it's up to you in what you want to do, but you should have this all documented.  I would also feel uncomfortable in your shoes.  If a guest is rude to me before he even comes on to the property, he does not need to be a guest in your home.  The last think I would want is to have someone stay with me who doesn't want to be there, and even one night would be too much!

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

I've been in that spot! It's not fun, feeling like a person is upset over circumstances they ought to be aware of if they'd just READ!

At the same time, this person has just landed in a different city & expects the reservation that they set up (days/weeks/months ago) to come through. You most likely would incur a penalty for cancelling. Arrange a time window for him to arrive that works around your family responsiblities and go from there.

Again, I've been in that situation, where a guest obviously hasn't given my listing a thorough reading. More often than not, they've been fine guests - just more "fly by the seat of my pants/I only looked at the pictures" than I am. You accepted their reservation without a photo, I'd say give the guy the benefit of the doubt past poor reading skills.

Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

@Stuart13 It seems like this is an issue you should bring up directly with Airbnb, rather than the hosting community.

Thanks. Just wanted to give it a shot first.  I found the community when I selected support.  Is their number somewhere in help?

I've contacted airbnb and they said they have canelled the resrvation and will give him a 10% credit and help him find a place.

I need a way to block him though because of continued messages like these:

"Dude I won't just give you negative feedback... Don't make this a thing. It will end REALLY bad for toy" 

"Seriously -- I booked this trim weeks ago -- is this a joke or are you just a terrible human being?!?!?!???!????!?"

In the midst of all his rants I messsaged back saying:

"Sorry for the inconvenience Joseph. I said you could come early if you didn't mind the sheets not being made. You said you'd be by sometime tonight. (remember he wanted to come an hour early) I asked you to let me know when, and you didn't respond. I have to go to the hospital as my grandmother had a stroke A few days ago. Airbnb is giving you a 10% credit and is going to help you find another place today. So no worries bout time or money. Again had you read my messages and read the actual listing before booking, this wouldn't even be an issue. No hard feelings though. Best of luck"

To which he continued:

"You are a liar charlatan and a thief. Go **bleep** yourself I will be reporting you every chance invet"

"You are a liar and I will do everything I my power to let everyone know that. You ducking disgusting pathetic waste of human life"

"I hope you die alone -- wait that's not a hope that's a certainty"

I made one last response: 

"Just to be clear, unless you say otherwise I have to consider that last comment as a threat. I'm going to call the police to be safe. I did not sign up for this to have my life threatened. This is the last communication youll hear from me. Again, no hard feelings. I'm sure you would understand if you were in my position not knowing the other person. "

to which he continued:

"**bleep** YOU YOU LEFT ME STRANDED YOU POECE OF **bleep**"

"You are a pile of human garbage. **bleep** YOU, especially if you think the racist NJ cops can help you. **bleep** YOU FOR BEING LESS THAN HUMAN. "

"**bleep** YOU YOU PIECE OF HUMAN-LESS **bleep**"

On top of all this he lives in NYC, less than a mile form where I live, which makes me wonder why he even is using airbnb.

I'm a bit nervous because I'm pretty sure he has my last name correct?  I already let my doorman know not to let anyone in without calling me. And if they persist, to call the police.

@Stuart13 You don't have to worry about a bad review. If there is a cancellation, they are not able to review you. You should use the flag icon on any and all abusive messages, reporting them to Airbnb.

That's nightmarish. Please tell me this person has been booted from the Airbnb community. 

@Stuart13

Flag the abusive messages and be on the alert.  He has all your details including full address, so be on the alert.  

Was this communication throught the Airbnb system?

I would encourage you not to communicate with this person, and I'm curious why you messaged him as much as you already have...

Jamie

Jennifer178
Level 10
Philadelphia, PA

Hey @Jamie69@Marit-Anne0@David--Aicha--and-Jamal0, This post is almost a year old. No worries.  I am sure it ended okay.

@Jennifer178 - thanks - because reading this on my cell it doesn't show any dates!!

Why does ABB let these old posts resurface like this??

Best Wishes.