Guest name is Chinese/Korean/Japanese Characters - how do you deal with this?

Robert94
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

Guest name is Chinese/Korean/Japanese Characters - how do you deal with this?

I am curious how exactly Airbnb verifies guests, espcially that don't use English letter names.

I am starting to get guests booking reservations and since I do not read Chinese, Korean, Japanese or any non English letter using language, I have no idea how to properly spell or pronounce their names.

I have hosted one guest already that didn't have an English letter based name and his English proficiency was so terrible, I had a hard time communicating with him.

I am Asian myself and very forgiving when it comes to thick accents and used to dealing with all types of Asian tourists and such, but if I am going to host them in my place, I do expect the tourist to have at least to be able to communicate properly in English for small talk and such.

If I'm visiting a foreign country, I don't expect them to cater to me either in terms of language proficiency.

Before I let guests check in, I give them very detailed House Rules and Such, and my concern like with the last guest who used a non English character name is that he could not quite understand the written instructions.

I don't want to be discriminatory, but I would like to be able to communicate effectively with all my guests and allowing guests to use non English letter names isn't helping this at all.

13 Replies 13
Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Robert94 No answers from me, but all very good questions from you. I'm eager to see what responses other hosts make.

@Dede0   @Robert94

I only occasionally take guests from that part of the world and I make sure their English is ok before I accept.  As you say, it is necessary that they can take instructions and read instruction manuals in English.  Not to mention directions on arrival.  Some are also not well travelled and can be high maintenance. Others do not understand the airbnb concept.  These are facts and I think we have a right to discriminate.  We want guests suited to our property and a good match often leads to good reviews.  

Aom-And-Fred0
Level 2
Choeng Thale, Thailand

Hi,

I just made a mistake because of the names in Chinese caracters, by accident I changed 2 guests. Even the pictures (from babies) were almost the same.

How can we convince Airbnb that the Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Arabic guests write their name also in English? Even a nick name helps.

Please let me know your experience.

Sunny regards from Phuket, Thailand

Fred

Ana7
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Robert94

I had two Korean guests. The first one spoke good English, introduced himself in English (his profile name was in Korean letters, but in his message he introduced himself with the name how it is pronounced in English) and everything about his visit went smooth.

The other guest spoke a very modest English, but I also asked her in a message how to address her. She wrote then her name in latin letters. As I have to register them in the Tourist board, I took their passports, the names there are written both in latin and korean letters. 

and I just love to see the reviews in different scripts!

Michelle13
Level 8
New York, NY

I "deal" with Asian people's names like how I do with American names. They're just names. I don't think guests should have to conform to English since travel, adventure and knowledge are global. 

I just ask when they arrive, "Can you tell me how to say your name? I want to make sure I'm saying it right." Simple enough and no one seems offended. As for communication, most people get the basics when you use hand motions and simple words. Sending a link to google translate or a dictionary in the room is helpful too. Give them a way to learn and perhaps you as the host can make them feel more welcome by learning "hello" in their language. 

If you really insist on judging your guest's English level before they arrive, please don't do it based on their choice to spell their name in their own language. Cultural pride doesn't equal poor English proficiency. Try to have a back and forth via messages to gauge it if truly concerned. Perhaps your last guest was just careless in general like some guests are.

Kelly44
Level 2
Paris, France

My brother, who lives in China, told me to ask for their "pinyin" name.  This is the westernized version of their name.  i.e. it is the translation of their name from chinese (or other asian) figures into a westernized version.  So as an example it will translate their name from the figures to "Amy Tau".

I ended up having Airbnb cancel a reservation for me due to the fact that despite repeated requests, the guests refused to provide this.

Also to note: my potential Chinese client was a first-time renter on Airbnb who in addition to not providing their pinyin name, when I asked that they provide an ID verification, added a "Weibo" verification.  I approved their booking based on this thinking it was perhaps the chinese equivalent of a driver's licence.  Only afterwards did I discuss with my brother who informed me that Weibo is the equivalent of a blog and in no way an ID verification.

All of this info provided to Airbnb allowed them to cancel my reservation (after repeated requests over a week by themselves to the client to clarify), at no penalty to me as a host.

Phew!  All of this is a learning experience, isn't it?

Hope this helps.

Michelle266
Level 3
Vancouver, Canada

Just to repost my answer in the other thread just in case anyone needs it 🙂

Go to Google Translate

Set up detect language for the left box, ignore the right box

Copy paste the characters to the left box

Google will detect which language it is (it's not 100% accurate but somewhere around 90% for me!)

Right below the box there is the latinized version of the name

You can also click on the bottom left 'speaker' button to know how the name is pronounced

E.g.:

庄小威

Google Translate will tell you it's a Chinese character and will tell you that the latinised name of this person is Zhuang Xiaowei.

Hope it helps!

Hi Michelle,

It was better if Airbnb asks non-latin guests for a translation of their name when they register membership.

And put both on the inquiry. Like:   庄小威 <Zhuang Xiaowei>

On this moment I have 7 inquiries from Chinese guests, each at least 6 conversations, 42x I have to check who is who. Easy to make mistakes because their name comes up only in Chinese caracters.

Also the pictures don't help, because 30% are dogs/cats, 40% are babies, 30% selfies. 🙂

Help!!!!!!!

Fred

Villa on the Rocks

Villa in the Garden

Villa on the Hilltop

Phuket

Thailand

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Michelle266 Yep, this is exactly what I do.  Easy.   Also, most of my Asian guests have a western name which they use socially.  If they don't volunteer it, I just ask in my first message.  Again, easy 🙂

I'm having the same problem. I'm new to bnb and i have already a terrible experience with one guest. I was thinking of blocking the dates if ever i receive an inquiry. Hmm. Should i do this?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Robert94 Why not just ask them when they book how you should address them when they arrive, if they read your house rules and forgo small talk? Some English speakers may not want to do that either and if this is a "must", do you put in your listing that you interact with guests a lot? 

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Robert94 I welcome many Asians with name in the non-Latin form but does not bother me to be honest, When I reply to their messages, i simply copy and paste the name.

I don't share space so I won't have any chance to call them, and many uses shorter version at the end of their message. 

But i don't think Airbnb should impose on them as it is part of their identity.

If i was sharing or meeting them I would ask how should I call them and that will create a small talk also

Rebecca391
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

My last guest didn't write his name in English either. I didn't even know that he was male until he showed up. three hours late. Regarding his name I wrote him after he booked and asked what his English name is so I would know what to call him. That said, he remained very difficult to communicate with, as has been the case with previous guests from Asia who haven't spoken English well, if at all. It is frustrating because I try very hard and spend a lot of time to explain the situation they are renting because often they just book without reading about my house. Usually it's a waste of time and I've ended up having some negative experiences. They are usually nice, but often poorly mannered and I wonder why they book with a middle aged woman they can't even speak to, other than that maybe they are scared of Philadelphia and staying with a white lady seems safe. I don't want to be discriminatory either and I need the money. So I guess it's just a matter of having to continue to try to communicate with people who don't want to do the same in return.