Guest no longer has access to Airbnb

Nanxing0
Level 10
Haverford, PA

Guest no longer has access to Airbnb

Today when I review upcoming reservations for tomorrow I noticed a reservation that when I open the conversation thread it pops up a message "Limit Message Delivery: Someone in this conversation no longer has access to Airbnb and can't get messages", and the past message sent from the guest has been replaced by "This message has been hidden because the person no longer has access to Airbnb.".

Appears that the guest account has been cancelled/suspended or something and when I click open the guest profile it redirects me to the Airbnb main page. Weird thing is that the reservation is still there and when I called Airbnb customer service, I was told that nothing needs to be done. I asked the representative if I am still going to receive the payout of this reservation, she told me yes (after checking for about 5 minutes). 

Anyone has experienced such thing before? Did you end up getting the payout or the representative was wrong?

15 Replies 15
Renee291
Level 7
Cincinnati, OH

I have not had that happen and have no insight. I came to share that for years ago I was booked as a guest at an airbnb and 6 days before my stay, I got a message that my reservation was canceled.  No explanation.  I contacted Airbnb and got no info.  I messaged the (former) host and got no response. I found it very disturbing to get a last minute cancelation with no explanation.  It left me scrambling to rebook. I'm curious to learn if you get an explanation and if you actually get paid.

Lenore22
Level 10
California, United States

I would ask for contact info for the guest... I mean how are you supposed to message them if an issue comes up?

@Lenore22 The reservation has the phone number of the guest. I'm not sure if the guest can still see my phone number though. I'm not sure if I should contact the guest as they currently have no access to Airbnb which means if anything happens, nobody is going to pay for any damage/loss. 

Lenore22
Level 10

I would try messaging them on their phone# and mention you are unable to reach them through the app and wanted to be sure of the best mode of communication... Make sure they have what they need to check-in, if they have any questions, etc.

It's just weird because Airbnb makes a huge deal about never communicating with guests off the app, but they've really left you no choice.

Lenore22
Level 10

To cover your butt, I would reiterate in a message with Airbnb, that based on your conversation with *** (if you know their name), you are therefore messaging the guest off-app, as there is no other way to communicate with the guest and the rep advised you to "just do nothing."

(So ridiculous...)

I only say this because you don't want something to come up where they hear that you were contacting this guest and then suspend your account for breaking their terms.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Nanxing0 is Airbnb expecting you to host this person? Did you discuss that with them?

@Inna22 I did ask the representative and she said no, and asked me to just do nothing. Weird. 

I explained my thoughts to the representative. It's simple: either you cancel the reservation so others can book, or make sure I will receive the payout if the reservation is going to stay. She checked it for like 5 minutes and told me I am going to receive the payout...

Annie1372
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

@Nanxing0 

Follwing 👀

i want to see how it will end

please provide feedback once you are paid … or not !!

Annie
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Nanxing0 

Nanxing , every case is individual and I don't know the circumstances surrounding your case but, from my time working in support all I can say is, the guest has broken one of Airbnb's cardinal rules and Airbnb have restricted the guests access to future bookings or future involvement with Airbnb, and this involves blocking the guest's message stream, not just with you, but with any other Airbnb user. 

The booking however has been confirmed, Airbnb have been paid by the guest and as far as Airbnb are concerned the reservation is to be fulfilled. Now whether the guest turns up or not, they have not been offered a refund and will not if the guest requests it......you will be paid.

To verify this Nanxing, go to your home page and from the option scroll line select 'menu' and from the drop down box select  'Transaction History' and the payout for this guest should be showing as an 'Upcoming Payout', indicating that it is active and will be released the day after the scheduled check- in date. 

I would like to be of more help but I don't have the required information to assist you further!

All the best!

Cheers........Rob

Nanxing0
Level 10
Haverford, PA

Update....Yesterday at 1:35pm I suddenly received a message from the guest saying they are driving in from long island and will be checking in a little after 4pm. Then I clicked the guest's profile everything seemed to be normal. I then sent the guest the instructions and they checked in smoothly. Checked out this morning and messaged me with appreciation. So weird. I feel it was more like a tech glitch of Airbnb rather than there was anything wrong with the guest account.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Nanxing0 

So you never asked the guest what temporarily happened with their account, nor did the guest mention it?

@Huma0 I didn't ask and the guest didn't mention at all.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Nanxing0 

Okay, probably a glitch then. Perhaps the guest hadn't even noticed. I meant they don't always check their Airbnb accounts that often.

It's frustrating though that Airbnb couldn't give you a proper explanation, but then that doesn't surprise me at all.

@Huma0 Not surprising. The Airbnb system keeps having glitches. The funny thing is that some glitches keeps happening again and again which makes me wonder what kind of lousy job their software team is doing.  One thing I encounter very often is that guests request to book but co-host cannot accept/decline the request while only the owner can. Usually this does not last too long each time but it keeps happening all the time.