Guest not who they claim to be, extra guests and using spaces not part of their listing

Michael2296
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Guest not who they claim to be, extra guests and using spaces not part of their listing

I've been hosting AirBnB now for the better part of a year and have generally not had any issues. I recently had a guest book a single private bedroom in my 2 bedroom apartment.

I wasn't home for the duration of the stay, but after returning home 2 days after their checkout, noticed the following:

1) Based on security camera footage, the guest did not look anything like their "selfie" photo on their profile. It is clearly not the same person.

2) The booking was made for 2 guests (as that is the max for the listing) and brought in 2 extra people...at 3am no less. Again, evidenced by the camera.

3) I have a shared space in a large living room, partitioned off the from the rest, that is its own Shared listing. Nobody was staying here during this guest's time, but it was prepared for another guest's arrival today. I ended up getting home before Guest 2 checked in, and noticed that the bed was clearly slept on, indicated by pillows thrown on the ground and loose change left under the covers. I was luckily able to remake the bed because Guest 2 happened to be checking in late.

4) Missing towel. It has a unique design and doubtful that it was mistaken for the guest's own.

5) 4 hours late checkout, evidenced by the camera.

I've been fortunate to not have to handle any issues like these before, and I feel like any one issue on their own is pretty forgivable, but how would you all recommend I proceed?

I feel inclined to ask for more money for the add'l guests, or even the use of a space not part of their listing, but that is the max for the listing and as such there is no add'l guest fee.

2 Replies 2
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Michael2296

Ignore the issue about the pic - most people are not recognisable from their Facebook ipic =- we all like to put our best one on show which usually isn't very accurate. If you have evidene of the using the sleeping space then definitely ask for money. You don';t state iin this message if people are allowed to have friends round - ifnot, then change your rule.

My relview would be along the lines of nice guy however it would have been polite to let me know in advance that others were visitig and stayig. 

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

This is the point where you decide whether you want to send through for additional charges (and risk them leaving a poor review) or just leave them a review and move on with your life.

The selfie mismatch should really be brought up at check-in, so I'd let that go.

I'd leave a review like "So and so were (something nice) and left the place in good shape, but I can't recommend them to other hosts. With no notice and against house rules they brought two additional guests into my home. They used my other listing's bed, which had already been prepared for the next day's guests. They also didn't leave until four hours after check-out time. This isn't in the spirit of trust needed for home sharing to work, so I can't recommend (guests)"