Guest plans to bring his guns

Liv3
Level 1
Minneapolis, MN

Guest plans to bring his guns

Is there a good way to make it clear that you ban guns in your home on your listing?

17 Replies 17

Wondering the same thing
Geneviève9
Level 8
Montreal, Canada

Move to Canada, that never, ever happens here 😉

Seriously though, that is such an important thing to worry about...

Bryan10
Level 10
Feltham, United Kingdom

Seriously, move to any other country in the world, if you find you have to ask that!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Luckily this isn't an issue for most hosts outside of the U.S. I would suggest you add it to your house rules.

I have had Hunters stay with me, always found them good guests.

I suppose you could put it on your listing but if they conceal carry you would never know.

David
Louise47
Level 10
Maroochydore, Australia

If you did that here in Australia you would be arrested.  I shoot and have a gun but no way would I allow someone to bring a gun... Unless your in a hunting area.  Why would you need a gun on holidays.

Sean433
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@Helen3

This just happened to me but with a VRBO guest which is surprising because I have found the quality of guests from there is pretty decent.

I live in Canada, a country that like Europe has pretty strict laws about such items. Yet these hillbilly's from the south (I won't say where but you can sort of guess the regional area) brought one with them through the US - Canadian border. How? I don't know but doesn't make me feel good about our border agents now. Especially because the guy sounds like an ultra ignorant stereotypical hillbilly.

They even asked my wife if they can openly carry it on the street. Really? I can't imagine the comments I would get from neighbours. I would probably have to shut down my STR business if he was ignorant enough to openly carry it. Thankfully they are leaving today. I did not kick them out because- well, he has a gun but the stupidity of some people still shocks me to this day.

@Sean433 Quite honestly, if that had happened to me, I'd phone Canadian border services and give them these peoples' name. Then their name will be on a computer, red flagged, and when they cross back over, they'll be questioned and likely never allowed back into Canada. Or if they don't catch them on the way out, Their name will come up red flagged the next time they try to enter. They would have had to smuggle it in somehow, or lie about it.

Andrea-and-Francis0
Level 10
Mississauga, Canada

Just simply put in your house rules weapons/firearms are strictly prohibited!

Sean433
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@Andrea-and-Francis0 

Thanks for the suggestion. My house rules are already so lengthy and they cover the basics. I never imagined I'd have to add every possible common sense item. If we do that, surely guests won't take the time to read through all of them. ppl have short attention spans. Also, on VRBO, you are limited as to how much content you can write in your house rules - there isn't enough space.

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Liv3   I have been thinking about that as well.  We do not own guns and don't want anyone bringing any onto the premises.  We have put it in our house rules, but I wish I could add it to the pre-trip screening questions. Unfortunately,  the section for those questions is limited to a certain number of characters/not sufficient.   😛

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You could confirm this in your welcoming note to guests when they book with you @Ann489 

@Helen3   yes, that's a good idea!  🙂

Kira32
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

I don't have a rule for guns but If I had one it would go something like this,

This house is not suitable for gun owners. 

I you own a gun you are not allowed to enter the property with or without gun.